Do you like TFP 2020 edition

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Mar 25, 2020.

?

Do you like Transformers Prime?

1. I liked it

51 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. I didn’t like it

25 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. No opinion

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple poll, simple question:

Overall, do you like Transformers Prime?

I’m weeding out poll answers that gauge degrees of like or dislike. This is just real cut & dry- whether you love it or just kinda like it, that would still be a vote for “like it.” If you loathe it or just kinda dislike it, that would be a vote for “didn’t like it.”

Don’t care either way? Never seen it? No opinion option is there for you.

Okay! So how has this show held up? Do people still mostly like it or has public opinion changed?

Personally- the show has plenty of flaws & missed opportunities, but overall I still like it.

2. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  3. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I liked a lot of it. I equally disliked just as much of it. I enjoy a lot of individual episodes but not the overall narrative.
    However, considering that, when I think of the show, it's basically "Knock Out, Soundwave, Out-of-Character Yet Entertaining Wheeljack, Predaking, and Ratchet", and not any of the other characters or the plot, I guess I lean slightly to the "dislike" side? Maybe?
    That being said, it's still much, much better than Energon, the Combiner Wars shows, and Headmasters.

• Like Like x 5
  4. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I don't think it's as good as some people make it out to be, nor do I think it's as bad as others make it seem. My biggest gripe with the series is how seriously it takes itself despite nothing actually warranting that tone.

• Like Like x 14
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

It's not the best TF series in my book, but it's not the worst series either. It's not as good as something like Beast Machines, but it's also better than things like the Machinima series by a long shot.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    It is...

More than meets the eye.

I only actually watched the first season, as that was all that was on Netflix. And it was WAY too mature, funny, and well-done for its own good. I mean, I was cracking up that whole episode where Ratchet was dosed up on the Synthetic Energon.

• Like Like x 6
  7. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I liked it, but I also think it was pretty overrated

• Like Like x 2
  8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Well, it isn't as good as Beast Wars, Animated or RiD2000 but it's definitely in the top 50% of shows.

• Like Like x 9
  9. SrgDuck

SrgDuck Professional couch sitter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I loved transformers prime, though like most shows it has its flaws. I loved the human aspect in this series, my favorite humans were Jack and Agent Fowler. I love the show, though i do think its a tad overrrated imo. Animated is my personal favorite, and i loved the story animated told, and the artstyle!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    It's got a lot to like and a lot to dislike. I'm somewhere in the middle with it.

It introduced a lot of great concepts and character revisions that many people (myself included) love to this day such as Knock Out but it also was extremely limited in its scope and never fully realized a few of its characters and storylines. It also meandered a lot during the infamous "MacGuffin Hunt" episodes and the third season was thrown in by Hasbro which severely knocked the show around too much for its own good.

In the end, I'd say it's an upper mid-tier show. Better than most of its detractors make it out to be but also highly overrated by those who love it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    It’s a mixed bag. The first season had a lot of promise, but the second season squandered most of the potential in the story elements set-up in that first season. I recall something being said (I don’t remember if it was someone’s analysis of writers like Jeff Kline, or from someone who actually worked on it) that the writers knew how to kick off cool ideas, but not how to resolve ideas. I think that pretty much explains why Prime turned out like it did.

Many characters unfortunately ended up being bland (Optimus and Bumblebee primarily), or devolving as time went on (Arcee and Starscream come to mind the easiest). Others felt wasted (Breakdown, Dreadwing, MECH, Bulkhead mainly for surviving) because their stories were rushed or outright dropped. Really only Wheeljack, Ratchet, and Knockout were able to be both consistently entertaining and have some semblance of growth. I think that’s why those 3 seem to be the ones most fondly remembered from the series, at least from what I’ve seen.

I think most of us tried to like Prime, especially since it felt like a Transformers show that seemed to have an element of maturity (whether it really did compared to other series is obviously debatable), and felt like it could be a good show to get new people into the fanbase. It’s inability to live up to these goals, as well as the story and character expectations after season 1, are a big part of why it’s such a divisive series.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  12. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Again, this is mainly a personal opinion.

I despise this show. It had some good stuff sprinkled in, but it was mainly annoying and an unpleasant chore to sit through for me.

A lot of characters were pretty bland or irritating. Optimus Prime and Megatron were just generic and really had no personality at all.

Unicron felt incredibly shoehorned into the plot (the idea of him being the Earth had potential, but it felt really tacked on and like a last-minute addition).

Ratchet... he irritated me. I never liked the grumpy old man version of Ratchet. I always liked Ratchet to be jovial and fun-loving (like the G1 and 2015 RiD version). Marvel G1 had the best version of him, making him start up as a very chipper and party-loving medic and having him gradually becoming stressed and traumatized over the massive losses that have piled up and the overload of work he had to contend with. TFP Ratchet just feels like an old guy who is just harsh with no rhyme or reason. They cast him decently (but again, I felt Jeffrey Combs is one of those actors that would fit Nightbeat better than Ratchet, but he did a good job as the more jovial version we saw in 2015 RiD), but the material just had him be constantly ticked off to the point of just becoming unlikeable, and really making any emotional moments he has feel like an afterthought.

TFP Arcee... hooboi. They really dropped the ball with the female characters in this, didn't they? Honestly, I can't get behind this character. It's again the case of Japanese Headmasters Chromedome. They put so much focus on a character, they want people to like it, but they fumbled the ball and overdid it to the point that it becomes one of the most irritating characters in the series. TFP Arcee had a great design (the only reason why I bought the toy, because I liked the design), but she is such an unlikeable hypocrite that I honestly wished she had been killed instead of Cliffjumper. She never obeys orders, never gets reprimanded and basically forgets everything she learns at the end of an episode (which if it was an arc of an 80's show not made in Japan, I would forgive it because the standards were different, but this is a friggin' 2010's show!!! Character growth is supposed to have more consistency, even the Beast Era had better character growth than that). So yeah, this one is tied with IDW1 Arcee, TFA Arcee and Japanese Headmasters Arcee as my least favorite version of the character.

Bumblebee was just there. He just felt too barebones and bland to be even considered a likeable version of the character. He isn't as irritating as TFA Bumblebee, but he is kinda boring.

Airachnid, Breakdown and Dreadwing are all superfluous characters. They just exist to... be there, as it may. All Airachnid does is to give us another reason to dislike Arcee (I feel Airachnid is a bit better in terms of character, but still rather bland and generic). Breakdown is introduced as a very big threat, but he constantly gets beaten and abused until he finally dies. He fares better than Dreadwing, who only lasted a season and was killed rather unceremoniously by Megatron (which is sad, considering that I felt Tony Todd was better cast as this character than he ever was as the Fallen).

The human kids... they range from bland to irritable. Jack and Raf are kinda bland and really aren't that interesting, but Miko... goddamn, what an irritating twerp. I appreciate the energy of the actress playing her, but the character is so irritating and dumb that you just wish someone stomped on her.

Okay, those reasons are a few of what made me dislike Prime so much, but even this few were enough to make me feel completely ticked over the course of the show.

As for good stuff in Prime...

The adult humans. Fowler and June Darby are really great characters. They are much more dynamic than the human kids and they are always a joy to watch. Plus, I'm a Night Court fan, so of course I was gonna love Markie Post as June Darby.

Bulkhead, Wheeljack and Smokescreen were really the most likeable Autobots in the show. Wheeljack and Smokescreen differ from their regular incarnations, but the writing and the performances from the actors really make them hold up better than the unlikeable core cast. Bulkhead is the only member of the core cast that I liked. Yeah, he is basically the big lug of the team, but I could at least bring myself to like him. It's too bad that he was paired with the most irritating of the human kids.

On the Decepticon side of things that I like you have Knock Out, Starscream and Shockwave. Yes, there were things about the latter two that could have been handled better, but they really were great characters, and their interactions were fun to watch (with Starscream being the grovelling ham and Shockwave being the cool, logical straight-man). However, they both pale compared with the true star and real standout for me...

KNOCK OUT!!!

I just love Knock Out. He is vain, egotistical and has just a fabulous personality. And one thing he has over the other characters is a kind of sardonic and sly humor that was a recurring staple of old time radio or 50's TV sitcoms. Honestly, if the show had been all about Knock Out, it would have been brilliant.

Silas and MECH honestly made for much more interesting villains than Megatron, and I really liked Silas as a villain. The thing that disappoints me the most is how abruptly his story arc was ended. I honestly felt that he deserved better and really should have at least become THE big bad of the show. Plus, Clancy Brown. Although not big on his interpreration of Luthor aside from the Lego productions, where he is a bit more fun, I regularly tend to like Clancy in almost every role he plays and Silas is no different.

So yeah, those are some of my opinions on what I feel is an extremely disappointing show. Sorry if it got too long, but I had to speak my mind.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I really, really hate Headmasters Chromedome. He's my new least favorite Transformers character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

The rest of the series is available to stream for free on Tubi. Well, the rest except for the three part series finale Predacons Rising. I suppose if push came to shove, you could rent Predacons Rising for like $3 on amazon.

15. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

I think the problem with Prime is that it started out with so much promise that its later deficiencies annoyed me more than more consistently average series ever did.

Fast paced pilot with character death and borderline zombie apocalypse? 90% of actual series is sedate macguffin hunts.

Legitimately 3 dimensional villains like Breakdown, Dreadwing or Silas? Killed unceremoniously by other villains without any further impact.

Actual interesting character development or status quo changes to our heroes? Bumblebee didn't get his voice back until the finale, Optimus' amnesia lasted until the end of the season 2 premiere, and Bulkhead was handicapped for I think 2 whole episodes.

I voted that I didn't like it, but don't let anyone say I hate it because I didn't. I just loved what it could have been so much more. It had the best voice work, best designs and 3D animation that puts Beast Wars to shame. This could have been the best series we ever had if only they put the same effort to plot as they did everything else but instead it is so average that it annoys me that this is what we got.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This really sums up how I feel about it - a lot of the vitriol isn't from people who despise the very concept of it, they're just severely disappointed. TfP had a lot of potential that it squandered.

• Like Like x 5
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I voted "I liked it" because I like it more than I dislike it. Overall I have mixed feelings on it. I think it's a very watchable Transformers show. The animation is very good and it's fast paced and fun. I suppose I like it in the same way I like a lot of Orci and Kurtzman's other work. I don't view it as technically fantastic, but it does have high entertainment value. I like TFP more than something like Star Trek 2009 because I hold Star Trek to a higher standard than Transformers cartoons.

I feel like Prime could have really benefited from more preproduction work. Tighten everything up. Figure out where the story's going. What are everyone's arcs? Slim down the human cast a bit. They probably could have made it 2 kids instead of 3...one boy and one girl (maybe a brother and sister). Make the weird faces look...less weird. I see a lot of missed potential and obvious fixes that probably could have been smoothed out if they had spend more time fleshing out their ideas. RID2015 gets a lot of hate, but I feel like that team was able to fully realize their vision. It doesn't feel as rough as Prime.

Also, I really wish the TFP creators played nicely with Hasbro's Aligned Project. Prime almost single-handedly destroyed Aligned, which is a shame. It could have been a really neat connected universe. War for Cybertron was a fantastic and almost universally beloved start. What Prime did would be the equivalent of The Avengers completely ignoring Iron Man. It reeks of hubris. The fact that TFP didn't play nicely with Aligned does put a major dent in my enjoyment of it. Ever since hearing all those stories come out of conventions and whatnot, I can't look at Prime the same as I did when I was younger. Now I mostly see it as a cautionary tale about what happens when a creative team can't play nicely.

• Like Like x 3
  18. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

It was a goo time in my life. My son and I both enjoyed it and gave us lots to talk about and do together because what's a 25-year old really have in common with a 3 year old? This!

Plus, it was JJ Abrams and Roberto Orci and some pretty great voice actors who didn't have to frech kiss a fish to get the timing right on a hokey anime dub.

I really enjoyed the figures as well. Some more solid than others but overall really good work.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really love it prime got me into the franchise I love everything about it I don’t really have any problems with it ik a lot of people hate it but I just can’t get myself to find any faults I’m oblivious to it’s flaws but anyways here’s a list of what I loved

1. Peter Cullen and frank welker : I loved everything about them in this series so let’s start with Optimus, I really love him in this series ik a lot of people call boring,lifeless,stoic but I prefer him that way he’s portrayed as a flawless and infinitely wise being and all the bots look up to him he’s a father figure he’s a leader an inspiration and peter Cullen perfectly captures that voice and now megatron frank did an amazing job voicing megatron in the beginning of the series he was portrayed as a cruel tyrant then later on he became more insane ( like cutting off an arm of a prime and attaching it to your self you’d have to be insane to do that)and like peter he perfectly captures that voice

2.the action scenes were amazing you may hate prime all you want but you can’t deny that the action was amazing

3. The cast and characters were perfect
    Steve Blum as starscream ,Michael Ironside as ultra magnus ,sumalee montano as arcee, etc and how they changed characters was pretty good they made smokescreen, arcee, ( I don’t really remember animated’s interpretation of arcee since I haven’t seen in a long time I’ll edit once I rewatch it ) ,wheeljack actual characters and the humans weren’t terrible they were pretty likable ( agree to disagree with miko)

4.the stories were really great too ik a lot of people on the boards hated the story but I found them really fun and interesting like the Orion pax arc, the unicron arc , the rebellion arc were really well done imo

5. The tone was perfect in my opinion it wasn’t too edgy like everyone else says ( if you want to see something edgy watch DC’s Titans ) or too childish like rid it had enough humor and heart to make kids enjoy it and enough action and plot to keep audiences engaged and the jokes were pretty funny

6.the villains in prime were scary and they actually won sometimes the human villains weren’t terrible unlike the ones in animated ( even though I love that show)
    They were pretty good ,megatron was terrifying like I said he started off as this big scary tyrant but he became more insane

Well here’s my attempt on saying why I love this show and why I think it’s almost perfect IMO

Well if you think what I said was sloppy watch diamondbolt’s and lava pasta’s review on the show they say what I about this show perfectly since I’m really bad at expressing my myself

Diamondbolt’s review

Lavapasta’s review

Also don’t @ me for liking this show plz lol

Edit:I also skip some points for the sake of time but they’re in the reviews

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    My opinion that this show was not only a burning tire fire by the end that killed its chances of being respectable, but completely bulldozed Hasbro's franchise-encompassing plans to make Aligned the cornerstone of Transformers instead of just another continuity reboot, has not changed.

It had good ideas, but it routinely disposed of them in favor of absolutely terrible ones. The show runners even basically admitted they couldn't come up with better motivations for Autobots hating specific Decepticons beyond "dead partners" (this extends to Bulkhead hating Breakdown) and that Raf literally only existed to be a deus ex machina to save the day for the Autobots to the point they legitimately had no idea how to use him in Season 3 where his Jimmy Neutron level of technological know how was utterly useless against a dragon.

• Like Like x 7