Do you like IDW Elita 1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Susha, Oct 23, 2018.

?

Did You like the character of Elita-1 in IDW verse

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. no

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. yes but would've liked further development of the character.

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whats the general opinion on Elita-1?

mine:
    1. After her first appearances I was fascinated by the character. and wanted more on the backstory.
    2. Yet, she had this ambiguous personality and lots of 'signs' that she might be a 'baddy' or atleast not thrustworth... (see below)
    3. the whole liege affair left me wanting on regards even if the most we got about Carcer and thus Elita-1
    [spoilers:
    Considering her final sacrifice I don't really understand point number 2. Compared to other 'colonists' for example Pyra Magna, she actually stood for her beliefs (and people) without second thaught. Now I'm not saying that isn't 'worthy' just that as we never got any real reasons to why she isn't a 'good leader' this seems in contrast.]

2. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Love her. She's fun, interesting, culturally distinct...has a personality, which is a first for a G1 Elita. All round win

• Like Like x 4
  3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Not really. She was pretty one-note throughout the entire story and got one of the most pathetic deaths we've seen. I think she had a lot of potential as a character and still had a lot of story left to be told of her, but then Scott never got to tell the story that was intended for her.

• Like Like x 4
  4. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    I never liked her

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

I loved her. She shouldn't have died. I would have loved her and Optimus to meet because she was the only other person who understood the burden of leadership.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

She was alright, but I always waited for "more" (further development of the character).

• Like Like x 2
  7. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Yes, but once TAAO was done they didn't really have much for her.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Liked her in TAAO but she's never got to be more after this series ended.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I liked the idea of the character, just not necessarily as Elita. Her role could have been filled by Strika.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably, but then you don't get that "shock" dichotomy of "feminine shaped pink girl robot" being a hardass warbride. It'd have less impact if Big Gal Strika was the cold, destructive, occasionally angry pragmatist.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

Best incarnation of Elita.

• Like Like x 3
  12. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    So, Arcee? Anyway, I liked her portrayal at the start, but since then she just became all bark and no bite.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    No. She was a painfully generic edgelord who doesn't really do anything.

In response to the OP, one of the points raised.

This description describes multiple characters that IDW has introduced over time, Pyra Magna, Mistress of Flame and Elita herself. But like Admiral purple hair from The Last Jedi, despite having been built up as an antagonist with every interaction they have with other characters, at the end of the day we're just supposed to accept that "she was good alll aloooooong" without having to actually have earned it, and no the 'heroic sacrifice' trope doesn't automatically mean they earn it.

All three of these characters are ultimately pointless and will not be missed, next time they should actually DO Something with them. Except Pyra, just dump that shit in the trash where it belongs.

• Like Like x 3
  14. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Started with an interesting take, didn’t really go anywhere after that alas.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I wouldn't say 'good all along'- Starscream sacrified his ambition so she'd be defeated in an election because she'd lead to war.

She's not evil but she's militarist, and that didn't change.

16. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I really hoped (at some point) that we'd get a 'telling' of that throne (well a bit more than one panel) - as in more about the previous leaders, and if E1 and Pax knew each other.

In the end, preconceptions aside, E1 has a 'high profile' since g1 and I was expecting her to me more pivotal to the story.

You're probably right... well I do hope at some point we get an 'Elita-1' thats similar to War Witin Smokescreen (I'm referring to ProtectronPrime post on gang warfare - which I think is where Nick Roche was going with Sins of the Wreckers, - [Spoilers: - impactor going to mayhem] )

17. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    All I honestly remember of her (aside from ending with a 'splat') was her being a b*tch during the Titans Return story. Had she bothered to say "oh, I can't transform Carcer because if I do Leige Maximo will be released" It would have saved a lot of headaches. But noooo, she does the usual "I'M NOT HELPING BECAUSE OF REASONS I'M NOT EXPLAINING, BUT THAT YOU WILL FIND OUT ARE VERY GOOD!" trope.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Arcee, but with command and without the Furman Origin Story Baggage, yeah.

In all fairness, if someone flew towards your airport and said: "This is Flight #744. I know we've been missing for 10 years, but we'd like to land. Also, we have Vomax, Deathlord of the Underdark in the baggage compartment who wishes to bring untold death and chaos upon the land. Also our plane has a tendency to randomly shoot death rays when we release the cargo." Would you want it ANYWHERE near you?

That's PROBABLY why E1 didn't start with that as an introduction, or seek to explain herself when the Titans attacked. "We'd fight, but we neglected to tell you our vessel is evil and harbors the Prince of Lies." is not an intelligent diplomatic statement.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Susha

Susha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Real World has area51 (with all its implications true or false) and there are gigatons of examples in history where sensitive information was withheld from the public. Without even getting into wikileaks..
    why is this 'unreal' for transformers instead?

continuing the hyperbole; imagine if a government told the public they just developed a strain of Ebola 900x more powerful, and that its handily being stored at the moment in the town hall of our capital.....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    While I never really saw Elita as a high profile character, and more of a facet to G1 Prime's character that showed up for one episode, I do think a lot can be done with her as a leader figure, and that as an established female character she deserves attention from the writers as much as many of the other lead cast.

In an interview with Mairghread Scott it was said that had TAAO not been discontinued, we would have seen Elita One start her own independent city state on Cybertron. We would have had competing cities on Cybertron that would come to head with one another, and furthermore we could have seen Elita's style of leadership explored in contrast to Starscream and Windblades. We could have seen Elita struggle with trying to implement her own brand of leadership and finding it inefective. We could get to see her adapt, struggle, and develop as a potential villain/anti-hero and add a new facet to the Cybertron setting. Instead of just one leader worrying about one city, you could have another, and depict both cities developing in completely different directions.

• Like Like x 9