Do you keep the box?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hup2thepenguin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

Do most people keep the boxes and cardbacks of Transformers, or toss them? I keep mine for memorability, and higher sell value if needed, but I was wondering, is it a common thing to do? A lot of used Transformers for sale don't have boxes, so do people actually care about it?

2. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    In the past I didn't. Now I do you never know if you're going to sell it and need the box.

3. Rodimus530

Rodimus530 Active Member

I keep all masterpiece and third party, and then anything I deem special. I also like to keep g1/reissue boxes, and then anything out of the ordinary. Normal, day to day figures' boxes I toss, as I have already experienced severe over crowding of my closet.

4. MulkPrime

MulkPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I keep the majority of my box and cardbacks. When it comes to cardbacks, I usually take a box cutter and cut the sides and bottom of the plastic so none of the artwork is compromised and I can put the figure back in the plastic if I want to put it in storage. If the cardback has a bad crease in it I will sometimes toss it in the trash.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I don't keep the packages for normal deluxes or voyagers or whatever, but for collector oriented items like masterpieces, I keep the boxes.

6. therealdriverx

therealdriverx Recon

I keep everything as I am a bit of a completionist. It's starting to get a little crowed though. I think one of my next projects at home is going to be converting my attic into proper storage space and moving boxes and packaging that direction.

7. Retrograde

Retrograde Well-Known Member

I'd love to get rid of my boxes, they fill up an entire cupboard in my small fat. They're all mp and 3p boxes so I just can't do it.

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I keep boxes a lot more times than I should..any MP Alt or alternatiy..SOME retail stuff..yea I keep

Funny story..
    I seen a seller on CL getting rid of TFs. So I went there, and score a seriously MASSIVE lot

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/599141-my-craigslist-haul.html

I didn't pay shit for it, (IMHO)..but when I got there, he had already sold HALF to another guy (This was when the FEs were RED HOT and it made me wonder what the hell the "other guy" bought..I think he said C reissues)
    The seller told me he collected for a few years and was getting out of it. Tubs and tubs of practically brand new TFs some with rubber bands on them so never TF'd...just tossed in bins.
    But the kicker...is there was just a MASSIVE pile of every single card/bubble and box he ever opened. Just a massive mount higher than my waist about the size of a small bedroom. Just...boxes. He must have opened them since he 1st started collecting and started tossing them there.
    So..Im kinda a stickler about "complete" shit..I notice only half of the instructions..mabye way less. I ask if he has all the other ones.
    "yep..prolly in that pile.."
    I walk over to dig a bit, and the basement must have flooded a year or so ago, and the bottom of the pile was a "concreted" together mess of cat feces, soaked cardboard, and socks and underwear. My allergies practically exploded my face...

I got over the fact I didn't have the instructions, grabbed the stuff, said thanks and blazed out.

9. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    I always keep cardbacks except in rare cases where they have no useful info, such as a biography. Back in the BW and BM days, when I first started collecting as an adult, the cardbacks were your instructions sheets, so they were actually kinda necessary.

I keep boxes with bios or if I just like the art, but I flatten them. The only boxes I keep intact and with all additional packaging are for exclusives, Masterpiece, and my very rare third party items.

I have kept all my very few Takara boxes on a personal whim. They are so different from US packaging - I just like them for their novelty. I suppose someday I will have too many to keep it up, and will have to flatten them or toss them out.

10. Markdelg

Markdelg Spin Road fan

News Credits:
    Only G1, reissues, MPs and Japanese TF boxes do I keep. Every once in awhile I'll buy a newer fig just because I like how he looks (i.e. I just bought an Energon Skyblast because he looks like G1 Skyfire in alt-mode), but if they're really not worth anything the packaging goes in the garbage.

11. HairyDawg

HairyDawg UGA - Go Dawgs!

Only if the figure is still sealed up inside of the box/package. Otherwise it goes in the trash. For MP boxes one of my kids likes to cut out the cool embossed Autobot and Decepticon logos, but the rest gets recycled.

12. AKSpartan1661

AKSpartan1661 Cool Cat & Sub-Commander

News Credits:
    I only keep the actual boxes like Voyagers and up and just toss the blister cards.

I usually keep the Voyager's weapons in the plastic insert.

13. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only keep MP boxes with the exception of JRX...his box is still somewhere in my room...

14. Scorponok

Scorponok Kindness is no virtue and cruelty is no vice

I keep most of my boxes. You just never know when you might need it.

15. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

im very selective in what I buy and collect so my collection is very limited, must be official g1 closely related from either HasB or Tak. CHUG( g1 related deluxes,voyagers, some leaders. NO g2, No beast war etc etc), G1 reissues/encores, some alts/bt/MPs. I keep all boxes/instruction/cards. everything is either MISB/oC or MIB/MOC.

16. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the only boxes I still have are from Platinum and 3rd party characters.

17. LeakinLubricant

LeakinLubricant Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't keep a thing, the whole lot gets binned! Never understood the obsession with keeping boxes.

18. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No unless they are cool Japanese boxes or look good on display like the Altrnator boxes of those commemorative book shelf style reissue boxes.

19. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I keep the boxes for Masterpiece, Third Party and any other higher-priced, collector items. It does increase the value when you go to sell it, and you'll never know when you'll need to sell something.

In addition, a lot of these figures come with extra accessories and stuff and the box can double as storage.

I don't keep card backs or mass release retail stuff though like Voyager boxes -- it doesn't ever increase the value and they are pointless to have, in my opinion. Only a small, small percent of people care about the back of the card.

20. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Keep everything. Always.