Do you have collecting rules?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JustAlex1997, Jan 6, 2023.

1. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’ve got a few I’ve developed over the past few years:

1. Commanders are an instant preorder. They usually go fast.

2. Wait for sales on Titans and Wave 1 figures. I paid full price for the Ark and Metroplex, only to see them on deep discount in a month’s time. Never paying full price for Titans again. Same with Legacy Wave 1 Deluxes.

3. If a mold sucks, I won’t buy any repaints, even if it means leaving holes in my collection. A new paint deco isn’t going to change how crappy a mold is.

4. If I’m going to buy a figure, I have to have shelf space cleared ahead of time, otherwise there’s no point in me owning the figure for display purposes.

5. Keep track of PO’s, and if they’re not paid off when I place the PO, then have and keep the money needed at least 2 months in advance, as early releases are increasingly common.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BtheBlackMage

BtheBlackMage Probably (not) a wizard

News Credits:
    My rule is quite simple: No masterpiece and no third party toys, I prefer sticking with Generations. UNLESS, it's a Soundwave, then that's when I break that rule.

• Like Like x 2
  3. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Basically only G1 characters. Every time I deviated from that I would regret it later.

They have to be in an aesthetic I like. So cartoon for the season 1-4 bots and Marvel Us versions of the post 87 stuff. But I do like characters that weren't in either like the Deluxe Insecticons and Jumpstarters. Then they can follow the Dreamwave versions. No reinterpretations of characters so the IDW style characters are a no.

I want them in relative scale so basically following the Sunbow chart. I want them to look premium and uniform. And since space is limited I want them to not take too much space.

So I basically ended up with NewAge.

I don't buy everything they put out. Only the G1 characters I like ( and that's quite a lot).

I sold off almost my entire Generations collection, keeping only some Takara Legends stuff that probably will never be done by NewAge.

I occasionally buy a Diaclone Reboot release when I feel it would interact nicely with the legends. So I have some troopers, some suits and a couple of Waruders.

The past year I've been more busy selling things than actually buying stuff. I like that I have a more focused collection now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Optimus paul

Optimus paul Well-Known Member

Become an Oscar worthy actor when my wife says "haven't you got that one" when I buy an upgraded version of a character and I have to explain I haven't got this as he/she is a completely different bot

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to be a "gotta catch 'em all" collector, but that has drastically changed after looking at the massive piles of figures I no longer care for.
    So now...

1. Official only. No exceptions.
    I had bought some because they looked good, were representations of Shockwave, or weren't as awfully priced as most generally are, but no more. What I have is going up on the chopping block soon and no more will be purchased.

2. G1, JG1 and Beast Wars/Machines only.
    At one point I was a huge movie fan and bought everything released. Over time, I started to truly dislike the aesthetic and just find no interest there anymore. I generally find them pretty much atrocious now, so I just won't bother. The only real exception could be some of the BW characters in the new movie, or something that may fit in with the Generations guys like Battletrap.
    As for other updates, I have zero interest in anything from the AEC trilogy, and don't feel I need to re-collect Animated or Prime again.
    Only exceptions would be Lugnut and Lockdown.

3. No Masterpieces, and certainly no MPM's.
    Again, I was a huge fan of MP's and have quite a few. After getting the Nemesis version of MP44 and finding no enjoyment there, I sold it off and stopped collecting them. The exception was Nightbird, but that's it for my MP purchases.
    Last MPM I got was TF1 Megatron, and found it to be a disappointing mess. The Voyager was better.
    Note- I still find the TT MP line to be absolute marvels of engineering, but am just not a fan of the current direction. If they go back to toy/toon hybrids, that would bring me back.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    4. Shockwave only.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to be fixated on getting everything Shockwave, but found it's a bit beyond me. Now i just get what I can.

• Like Like x 1
  8. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

This is a good rule. One and Two. I use to hope for Ollie's but Hasbro got wise and I think the right price for Titan is about 109$ but you have to risk waiting two years. Commanders are a tricky thing and if you wait too long, could end up on the short end of the stick

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    Don't buy for the sake of buying

Don't spend too much for a single item (no HasLab Unicron)

Don't be afraid to get rid of things that have better versions come out, or that you don't really enjoy anymore. Streamline that shit!

And most importantly... NO TRANSFORM NO BUY!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. No 3rd party or masterpiece at all- its too expensive and too much of a hassle to collect and most 3rd party offerings look like a circle jerk of g1 and the same combiner teams for the billionth time how many god damn devastators and menasors are they going to make.
    2. No legends size collection - never been a fan of this i always thought legends size masterpiece like figures were a niche and core class has been a mixed bag the only core class figures that are really worth buying are the actual characters that are supposed to be small.
    3. If its stuck in a multi pack its better to wait for it to be sold individually- i hate it when hasbro sells a character i like in a multi pack i couldn't give two shits about siege slamdance is a good example i had to wait for 2 years to find a slamdance that didn't have the burden of two extra figures to be sold with him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bkh

bkh Well-Known Member

1. No Bayverse
    2. No full-price Titans
    3. Check Amazon warehouse specials before buying
    4. For larger purchases, check BST board. Would rather spend monies on other's sales than give to retail stores where possible
    5. A multi-pack is fine if the right price as I can use a figure I do not want for a present. Saves monies later.
    6. Keep them dusted
    7. If stored for more than 6 months, may want to look into why and make a decision on getting rid of it.

12. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I buy whatever catches my fancy. I'm too grizzled to get worked up over arbitrary restrictions I place on myself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvamaximus

Galvamaximus Brazilian dinofan

- The focus of my collection is Transformers that are dinosaurs, reptiles, dragons and similar.
    - I don't care about scales
    - The aspect I most value is the transformation project, it doesn't have to be complex, it just needs to be creative and well executed.
    - For space and financial reasons (and also because I live outside the US, due to shipping costs), I prefer smaller toys if possible.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

With extremely rare exceptions, no Masterpiece/Masterpiece adjacent. They aren't very fun and don't really fit with the anything else in my collection. MP Grimlock is the exception as he's a great size to go with a CHUG collection.

The other rules are basically to look at reviews extensively and if the figure is crap/easily breakable I'll pass.

And generally: Very rarely will I buy at retail now due to insane prices. Anything above voyager is cartoonishly overpriced.

There are at least three guys in my city that buy practically everything and then flip them on the aftermarket within a month and I just wait for them to post. One of them is now flipping a mint Commander Rodimus for literally have the retail price.
    Citybots and Commanders don't appear on the aftermarket without an increase in price, buy practically everything else that isn't stupid-rare/exclusive can be attained for much less than retail.

I started this hobby back in the day when finding used things at flea markets and yard sales & ebay etc was the ONLY way to get stuff. I'm perfectly fine with that. Unlike some, I don't get FOMO and I don't really have any burning desire to get everything.

• Like Like x 2
  15. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    My rules : 1. got to be a cool looking car I like , i.e. Legacy Dead End. Studio Series#87- Bumblebee ; Earthrise Tracks
    2. Interesting/innovative transformation i.e. Studio Series Ironhide;
    3. Deluxe /Voyager size regardless Autobots or Decepticon.
    4. Not repaint/not redeco exception was Legacy Knock Out that is redeco of Studio Series 86- Jazz.

16. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. I've learned to never ever pay full price for an overpriced, constantly lowering qc Transformer these days thanks to @OptimusTarzan.

2. Don't just buy shit just to buy it. To be more specific, unless I'm truly attached to or have history with said character there's no need to really go outta the way for it.

3. This one is pretty recent but being wary of buying figures that are part of combiner teams. We've seen with Motormaster how they'll release good ass figures like Dragstrip only for the rest to be(in my opinion) lame in comparison. That's kinda shady and low in my honest opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr Fingelblender

Dr Fingelblender Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My collecting goal has always been the cast of season 1 and 2 from the Sunbow cartoon, and I started that collection with CHUG so that's the "scale" I go for.
    I said I wasn't going to but I've ended up getting a lot of the 86 Movie/Season 3 characters too, but I'm firmly stating NO JUNKIONS and NO QUINTESSONS!
    Trying hard to resist the Headmasters etc.
    I do have a few smaller and larger sized TFs (mostly 3P) that were filling in until a larger option was available- I resist the urge to collect at those scales too!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Only one rule these days: I buy what I like and don't try to complete lines.

• Like Like x 3
  19. northjason

northjason Well-Known Member

The first rule of collectors club is you don't talk about collectors club.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Decepticons only*

*exceptions go to BW S1 Predacons, TFTM86 core cast, Victory Autobots and the Dinobots.

That’s not to say that I buy every Decepticon, just ones I like. When Runabout/Runamuck came out in Earthrise I thought they both looked really dull and wasn’t willing to jump through the hoops to get them (mass retail one never showed up in this area, Target never stocked the exclusive one in this area), so I passed.

• Like Like x 1