Do you guys think the new IDW Transformers Reboot is more corporate driven?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Apr 16, 2019.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    From what I'm seeing from the previews of the new TF reboot comics they don't seem to have the same type of writing skills and life that the original had in all of it's phases. It feels more like by the book/paint by numbers vibe that pretty much any other media tie in for a franchise can be. So I can't help but wonder that with Hasbro having more control over it's media outlet they're making the comics not be as unconventional and creative as most people would like it to be?

I know this is a toy company we're talking about so it's expected of the comic to be a toy commercial but still the previous IDW universe was able to be that and have original and interesting stories in their own right.

• Like Like x 1
  2. megatronski

megatronski Flamewar's strongest soldier

News Credits:
    I've got my own problems with the reboot (unbearably slow pacing, not really a fan of Angel Hernandez's art), but I really don't think "corporate interference" is a problem. They're using Siege figures for a lot of the designs, but the comic is still focusing mostly on a character (Rubble) who doesn't even have a toy, and the characters who are based on toys thus far have only gotten a couple pages of focus per issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

It's purely sales driven. Nothing *but* an attempt to drum up sales, and there's nothing wrong with that necessarily.

4. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Yeah. It was released at the end of the Prime Wars trilogy, and at the start of the WFC toyline.
    The issues seem to play safe, almost if this series is targeted towards a younger audience. With Windblade and Bumblebee, and Rubble acting as the potential kid appeal character supports this.
    Using designs from the toys. People will see Prowl and think: "Man! Gotta buy that new Prowl toy!" Although... as the making if this comment. Some of these characters don't have a new toy, or in Rubble and Froid's case, no toy if them exists.
    The book being released bi-weekly, which can lead to things feeling rushed to meet a deadline. Whereas the previous continuity's was monthly. But this book is in-excusable. Because the 2009 comic went bi-weekly towards the end of it's run.

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Come to think of it I think I know why I'm not feeling it myself. It's that it seems to be playing it way too safe which is not a good idea if you want people to be invested for a long time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I think this book is walking the line between compelling adult storytelling and being aware of the fact that Transformers, at its core, is a child's property.