do you feel Animated is ending before it really got started

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Backstop, May 16, 2009.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    timing isn't an issue for the established fanbase. They'll make a point of seeing it regardless whether it gets a bad timeslot. But for an advertisement to work, they have to reach outside of the fanbase. People have to come across it unintentionally enough times that they actually get to like it, before they will watch it intentionally.

I thought it was on the point of going from greatness to epic greatness. :bay 

2. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    I think it's a shame that it is ending, since it is by far the best series in the transformers verse since Beast Wars. The G1 Nods are astounding and it's very well written and voiced.

3. Dovetail

Dovetail Member

One. Week.:banghead: 

4. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

^this. Exactly.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It may seem that way in retrospect, but I don't think those episodes were wasted. They only served to make the bigger moments of the series that much more dramatic. They've been slowly ratcheting up the tension and the conflict to get to the level of involvement we're at now. All the suspense has paid off.

It's also in the nature of this kind of episodic television that you can't just plunge headfirst into a massive story arc. Much of season 1 and 2 were about getting the audience on board. You need a few relatively static episodes to get to know the characters without alienating casual viewers through missed plot points.

I think they got a lot right in those early episodes. Genius idea to have Megatron basically incapacitated for the whole first season. It just demonstrated his sheer force of will that he could be such a threat, even in that state, as a sinister behind the scenes puller of strings. Then the reveal when he got his new body, awesome.

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Where as any of the fanwank actually interfered with the story though?

First off, I think you're thinking more of Fan service, and secondly, most of it has been relegated to cameos and the like.
    What does this even mean?
    They stretched it out to when it would be the most dramatically appropriate?

Really, what did you expect them to do?

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Are we watching the same show?

8. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Animated is more adult oriented than the movie. And everyone stopped talking about chins.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Fuck yes. It started getting REALLY great in S3.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Fair enough, but my opinion isn't based on retrospect or hindsight. I remember quite clearly watching S1 thinking "they better ramp this up quick" due to so many bleh episodes.

The other you need to take into consideration is that there was no break between S1 & S2. Even if it was initially planned that way, it's not how they aired. They just ran straight into each other which made it feel more like one big season as opposed to two separate ones, so as far as I'm concerned, the big "S1 ender" could have & should have happened 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through S1.

I'm not ragging on the show since I already clearly pointed out that I do love it... I just think they took too long to find their groove with it and turn it into the amazing thing it now is as of S2 and especially S3.

11. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Personally, I think now is a good time for Animated to end. I think the story has advanced as far as it can, and the ending just feels right. A few more episodes couldn't have hurt though, especially for the finale.
    That's...

That's not an argument...

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Neither is me saying I don't like it, but you jumped all over that too.

Don't stop now, shoot, you're on a roll junior! Take that, me!

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

That's because I was questioning your reasoning, in order to better understand your opinion.

14. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, its ending prematurely. Sari's origin and future hasn't been delved in thoroughly. Not only have they not yet shown everything regarding Sari's origin, but they've also left off what would happen to her. She's practically a robot alien girl, with no legal protection on earth. If and when she outlives Isaac Sumdac, she's going to be left with nothing. If Prime and his crew leaves she'll end up alone. She also has a Cybertronian side and a human side. She's practically the bridge between two races that in many ways are shown to fear and misunderstand each other. She'll have to develop more. How will she cope with this uncertainty? How will Isaac Sumdac cope with her always going into danger?

Neither is the future of Optimus' crew delved thoroughly enough. They probably are going to be some of the greates heroes Cybertron has ever known, but so far they are still diamonds in the rough. Bulkhead still hasn't totally shown his genius in the application of transwarp technology. We know he's from an energy farm, but they didn't even show the story of how he left home to follow his dreams. Will he ever get due recognition for his talents and achievements?

Bumblebee dreamt of becoming an Elite Guard one day. But he hasn't shown enough improvement yet.

Prowl seems to be becoming Jedi for some reason. But we sill haven't seen enough of the training aside from sitting down and meditating. How will his moves be effective in battle. Hasn't he ever thought of getting the protoforms back?

Jazz's introduction is kind of late in the series. So what part will he play in the team? How will he react to the earth, the people, the places etc.

And we've just seen Optimus get his jetpack... for only the last two episodes. That's kind of short time to see its capabilities and what Optimus can do with it. Also what happens to the pack when he transforms to truck mode?

The Starscream clones as well have not yet developed into true individuals yet.

And even the Decepticons seeminlgy continue to keep on losing. Lessening the feeling of danger.

..There are still a lot of loose plot ends.

The Transformers Animated Universe hasn't even been thoroughly fleshed out yet..... We haven't even seen Fortress Maximus and Metroplex in robot mode.

Its really too early for Animated to end.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A horrible horrible time to end it because it was branching out to a wider Transformers Universe to see what other characters from the past looked like and acted like in the Animated Universe.

Plus they were just starting the Predacon team so now we will never get to see any of the other Predacons get the Animated treatment.

Not to mention all the other characters that have just faded off into cartoon limbo because everything has to be wrapped up quickly to end the series.

16. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the main thing. I mean, I don't expect them to cover "what happens after Sumdac dies" territory-- not only is that exceedingly dark even for this show, but it's (hopefully) way too far in the future-- but the rest of the stuff I fully expected to happen, and there's a 99% chance now it's not going to, I seriously doubt they'll get to that in Endgame Part II. I mean, beyond the Earth crew the other Transformers aren't even aware of her half Cybertronian status yet. Jazz is obviously cool with it, as he should be, but what about Sentinel Prime? I also have a feeling the Season 4 plot arc would have dealt with the Decepticons learning about Sari and trying to use her power to their own ends.

To be fair, he doesn't know the protoforms are on the moon. He has no idea where they are-- he probably rightfully assumes they're long gone now, given that they were stolen a million years ago.

17. nightbolt

nightbolt Lead Farmer

TFA is a good show, but I think they're wrapping it up quite nicely. We wouldn't want it to drag on for too long, would'nt we.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

I agree with this.

I was really looking forward to new characters like Cyclonus and Rodimus before this season started. Wondering how they would add to the overall story. Unfortunately they (and all the other bots with them) became nothing more than cameos and disappeared. Unfortunately, I think we've seen the last of BA, the Constructicons and the Dinobots too.

19. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From purely a toy perspective:

I loved Cybertron toys. But when Classics started appearing I was like "So long, Cybertron. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

Then Classics hit on all the right marks. It was fantastic. Then when the movie 1 toys came along I was all "Been nice knowin' ya, Classics. Now get off the damn shelf!"

And I bought my movie 1 toys and they surpassed my high expectations. Then we started seeing the Animated toys and I was like "Oh, yeah...ummm... That's a really nice paint job you have there, MovieBee. Say...Ummmm... Could you like, leave or something so the store can stock these Animated toys?"

And now Animated is ending. And the movie 2 toys look spectacular and I'm giddy like a crack addict to buy them. But... Noooooooo!!!! I don't want the Animated toys to leave! They're too great! There are so many cartoon characters left to immortalize in plastic! IT'S NOT TIME YET!

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's unfortunate that Animated is (apparently) ending.

In spite of that stupid episode with Dirt Boss' creation, Season 3 has had some of the best Transformers "wow" moments since G1.

And, I know that people have DVRs and Tivo these days, but Cartoon Network has to stop the show from jumping around all over the place. I hope whatever comes after Animated gets more respect in that regard. It's absurd.