Do you ever worry about exchanging what you think maybe a defective figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I am just wondering if anyone else is like me. Unless the figure is outright BROKEN, I am fearful of exchange what I deem a "defective figure".

The way I look at this, if there are multiple QC issues being reported on a figure, and my figure has only 1 of the QC issues, should I really return it. I mean there is a chance I will get a worse figure in return.

For this reason, I have held onto various 3rd Party figures and eventually fixed them, or learned to live with them.

One example was Huff. If my option was flaking paint all over the place, with a flopping chest, or my issue of lose hips, I will stick with the lose hips. I never sent him back. I just feared, I would get a figure with lose hips, flapping chest piece and paint. Then I would repeat a cycle. So I lived with the figure.

Now I have the same issue with Scoria. I fear returning it and getting more chrome scratches and/or floppy mouth pieces/arms.

So I am just seeing, how quick are you guys to send something back? I know I bash certain stores, but I feel like a vicious cycle of returns costs these stores on their bottom line on shipping to them and back to you. Only to possibly get a worse figure in return. Neither you, nor the vendor being responsible for it.

So I just want to gauge alternate or similar opinions on this.

2. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

A good friend of mine (also a TFW member) sent back his TFSS Barricade for chipped paint only to receive one that was twice as bad. He had to pay for the return shipping, and now if he wants another one he has to pay return shipping again. At the end of the day he has to evaluate if it is even worth spending all this extra money on an overpriced item in the first place. Granted this is Funpub I'm talking about and not FT, and $200 is a significant purchase to warrant buying a perfect figure.

I'm assuming you bought from Toy Dojo so you're probably pretty safe with Eddie taking care of you. He helped me out when USPS crushed my MP-09 box

3. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I'm pretty sure i have.

I had a little bit of crappy paint on Sideswipe MP and I wound up keeping it.

I'm keeping my Scoria. The arms look a tiny bit loose and the legs hold enough if they don't get worse. The chrome and everything is beautiful so I'll just hang onto it as well. I do wish they had mad ethos tighter. I'll look into how hard it is to get them tightened up…

Looking over my stuff Ive had pretty good luck QC wise. :)  knock on wood.

4. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Had this happen with Huff. I'm very wary of returning figs with varying QC issues because of Huff. Really didn't have a reason to even consider the idea until Huff (and now Scoria).

5. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't think I have ever sent an entire figure back. I have gotten replacement parts from BBTS, TFSource and igears store. That has resolved the majority of my issues. However, I do know what you are saying. Prior to getting my Scoria, I was weighing the pros/cons of what I could live with vs what I would have to return. For your hip issue, I have to believe there is a fix that could be done to improve it. Missing chrome or parts is pretty hard to fix.

6. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    This is a tough call. I think because so many other Scorias out there have issues, you probably shouldn't take the gamble on returning it. Bad joints bother me quite a bit so if I was in your position I would probably sell it and consider the lost funds the cost of leasing it. Then put that cash towards the toy version.

7. TruStarscreamer

TruStarscreamer Well-Known Member

I remember when I got my PE Scout Force the Viewfinder guy had some issues. BBTS sent me a UPS label and I had a working one sent to me about a week later.

8. YOLOrenzo

YOLOrenzo Well-Known Member

I generally just work with the retailer until I'm happy.

9. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

Nope never had any issues with these. Only praise for bbts' customer service.

10. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Generally I don't send a figure back unless issues are egregious. I accept that these figures are mass produced and don't expect perfection. Something that is totally defective or broken or really messed up paint wise should be returned. Loose hips...?

I guess my question to you is does your figure stand, can it be posed in reasonably dynamic poses, and do you expect it to get worse? If the answers are yes, yes, and no, then keep it and stop worrying about whether someone else has a figure with tighter hips.

If the answer is no, no, and yes (or some combination there of), then you should probably exchange it.

Don't take this wrong as I sympathize, I feel to a degree that you are worrying so much you aren't taking the time to enjoy an otherwise fabulous figure. Instead of loving the figure, which really is great, you're spending a considerable amount of energy on it's faults instead of on it's qualities.

If your figure is truly defective, in that it cannot be posed or used as you expect to be using it, then exchange it. But if it can do everything you expect it to do and it just can't hold it's legs out, then don't worry and enjoy.

...and if someone comes up with a good fix then do that, if you feel the need.

11. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    G1 toys had diecast but were bricks so the weight was not a issue.Fans keep requesting more diecast because they think heavy translates to better quality right?all that diecast and all that articulation is never going to be a perfect mix.how quicky we all forget titanium's.People want the world then bitch because when you give them what they want they change there mind and want something different or what they asked for ended up not being perfect.Every toy is going to have its share of flaws or defects, and based on the things I read daily nothing is ever good enough for most.its simple you can live with a few off things fine, otherwise return the thing and move on to the next thing to bitch about that you think has flaws.

12. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I used to exchange figures more often, but now I try to avoid it. I have come to terms that QC mostly sucks. I am not happy about it, and I hate spending money on bad product, but at this point, unless the figure is broken or missing parts, I try to repair it myself. A perfect recent example is I received all 6 of the igear Raptor Squadron jets and I felt they were all terrible QC wise. Everyone else seems to be praising how perfect theirs are. How could all 6 of mine have issues while others have no issues at all? Maybe I am still too picky? Who knows, but I spent some time working on them and I think I am in a comfortable place with them now. This experience will come to mind next time I consider ordering an igear product, and I may decide against it.

13. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I think this is the crux of it. Different ppl have different levels of tolerances and/or ideas of what constitutes a good/bad QC issue.

14. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think in general people have become more picky when it comes to third party figures. I totally understand they cost a lot and you want to get a good figure but at times I feel they let other peoples issues influence them to a point where they start looking for flaws and reasons to exchange vs enjoying the figure. At the end of the day no one will ever be able to make 100% of a run of figures problem free. Take Scoria since its the popular trend now, mine has some slightly loose shoulders, I have no plans to exchange it out but someone else might if they received it. I completely get straight up missing or broken parts but when it starts getting to a point where people are complaining about sprue marks on a plastic toy or very minor scuffs you have to really look for then I dunno.

15. blueben

blueben Holocaust

News Credits:
    If it is not a major issue, I will try to be more forgiving and learn how to repair and move on.
    When you raise a issue, there will always be fans saying how good and perfect their figure is, making you a target as a hater.
    But they will be the one to jump and praise the manufacture to heaven when a replacement is added to address the issue.

It's either you are a hater or a fan boy.

16. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Depends...on what is considered a defect, a sloppy paint job that isn't obvious unless I have to use a microscope isn't an issue to me, a loose joint to me isn't something I'd consider a defect, if it can hold it's gun and make some poses it's A Ok for me.

When something is broken that clearly hinders the toys from functioning or there is a scratch or blemish that is so glaringly obvious even to the non-TF nerd that's when I will exchange it.

There are also three things I always take into account when wanting to exchange;

The character of the figure- if it's a character I really like then something minor on him might make me want to change him more if there was a defect! Example, my MP-14 came with a loose right leg, he can still pose, but it isn't serious enough to want to return it, a character I'm not really into like Red, I can let it slide but if it were a character I loved like Galvatron for instance, it might be a different matter, even though I'd be very unlikely to return it, unless the vendor lived close by as you will see in the example I will give later on!

Where I bought it- If it was from some e-tailer in Japan then I'd think I'd be less likely to return it unless it was a really terrible defect!

The defect-Again unless it was something serious as I've described earlier I won't return it. However there are some exceptions to the rule. For instance I bought MP smokescreen from someone that lived close to me, the toy couldn't hold his gun in his right hand so I had it changed as he lived very close to me.

Had that been some e-tailer in Japan I would have simply let it go, I would have kept the figure with this default and all.

17. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

When possible, you should look to have the defective part replaced, in this case, a new hand. Then you don't have to worry about getting back something worse.

18. tekering

tekering The Ref

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    In my experience, you've either gotta fix it yourself or buy another one.
    Retailers have never done a goddamn thing for me.

Take my Engineer Huff, for example, a prime example of factory fuck-up:

[​IMG]

He can't be transformed past this point, 'cause glue has fused the joint:

[​IMG]

It's been nearly six months now, and Robot Kingdom still hasn't sent me a replacement.

You got replacement parts from iGear?
    That's like winning the lottery! :bay 

I've been waiting since December of 2012 for iGear to correct this little problem:

[​IMG]

Actually, that's not true; I gave up waiting years ago, and finally made my own damn face for him.

That sounds like a good rule-of-thumb (provided you're lucky enough to get a replacement, I suppose).

Alucard's figure isn't defective, it's just got a couple of loose joints.

Based on how you define "issues," I couldn't agree more. :p 

So it would seem... :peoples: 

We've all become pickier, I suspect...
    But at the same time, Chinese factories are getting worse.
    I suspect that's why HasTak is using Vietnamese factories now.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Ha! I read it defective FINGER... Skimming through this stuff too quick.

I think I also read yesterday or the day before someone getting a Scoria with a mis-pinned finger, and thought or assumed it was Alucard when skimming through this thread.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    You have some serious bad luck man.....didn't you also get one of the first Quakewave's who was missing a finger IIRC?