Do you donate to charity/ give to beggars? What charities do you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by andyz, Jul 23, 2018.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rare occasion i might donate a few $ at the check out lane. NEVER to individuals on the street. Too many fakers out there who after doing the pan handling go back to their car and go home. Seen too man reports on that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

- Toys for Tots - With both TRU and my local Kmart having gone out of business, I’ll be donating a *lot* of toys this year.

- I donate platelets every two weeks through the local blood bank.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    I donate to the local police and fire departments. I also donate to the local public broadcasting service. We donate to Toys for Tots durinf the holidays. And we also donate time and money to our local no kill animal shelter... though since I started doing volunteer work there I've increased the cat count in our house from three to five and our dog count from two to three. :lol 

As for beggars on the street... I don't carry cash so I couldn't give cash even if I wanted to. However, I do buy them food and drink regularly.

4. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Generally, I'm a tight-fisted, uncaring little shit. There are cases, such as when the sheer injustice of the situation overcomes my natural tendencies to be a total bastard, that I'll give money. As an example - back when I worked in Australia, I was overcome by how many people with crippling disabilities had to resort to begging to pay for live saving/prolonging necessities.

You can't walk past somebody who has cystic fibrosis and is begging just so they can pay for an oxygen cylinder to keep them alive, and not want to help in some way. Nobody is that much of a fucker - not even me.

But having been homeless myself, and seen first hand how organised begging is for Eastern European gangs - I tend to be extremely cynical and wary of people begging. As I said, I'm a shit.

5. Timesynch

Timesynch Shoganai Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As for panhandlers, I tend not to give to them if I can help it. Never know where the money will end up. There was a ring of scammers here in Tokyo not too long ago where they would actually dress up as Shinto or Buddhist monks and panhandle, often aggressively harassing rich-looking foreigners/tourists, for money in exchange for cheap little prayer beads. The Tokyo police started cracking down on them hard and got most of these guys off the streets, fortunately. They were everywhere circa 2016-17, but I haven't really seen them this year.

It's almost always better to donate to established non-profits (those with little or no administrative overhead) or your local food bank, soup kitchen, or shelter (animal or the human kind). Canned goods, food, and donated used items are harder to flip than straight up cash to prevent corrupt a-holes from getting your hard earned money.

6. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Jimmy Fund / Dana Farber and USO

I'm O -. I used to donate all the time since the Red Cross wanted all they could get from me, now banned for life thanks to my chemo regiment.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  7. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:

8. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

For 3yrs I did volunteer work with wild and exotic animal rescues. I've also given some money to help Yezidi kids in refugee camps in Kurdistan/Northern Iraq. My next big plan is to save funds to help out kids in Armenia who are either orphans, or live in the more poor villages and only have Soviet-era schools and supplies. I want to change that, so I'm hoping to start this mission with my second trip there next year. Animals and kids - that's it.

With regards to adults, I absolutely avoid giving to beggars, vagrants, and "sign at the corner" people. I've had coworkers who essentially caught one couple using their malnourished dog as a prop, I've come across some people who were totally unhinged and yelling/cursing people and cars, and as it stands here in California, the majority of homeless are either on drugs, don't want to live according to societal rules, just plain crazy, or all of the above. There's been an increase in violent attacks by homeless here resulting in both severe injuries and deaths, so yeah, I avoid specific spots or situations where I might run afoul of someone who's lost his marbles and is looking to stab anything he sets his sights on. It's noble to be charitable, but Optimus Prime once said these wise words:

"There's a fine line between being a hero....and being a memory."

• Like Like x 1
  9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It used to be Make A Wish, but any charity bound funds I come up with now go to Down Syndrome organizations.

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'm big into giving to toys 4 tots and the epilepsy foundation. Occasionally I give food to panhandlers when I can.

Having been working in public schools and seeing them struggle with funding we're currently submitting a business plan to reopen my old toy and comic shop as an online non profit with proceeds going to special education programs with options to act as a middleman for schools to fundraise for other causes as well.

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Donate to Cat Shelter Felix in Serbia and it relies completely on donations. I would like to do more to help them life permitting.

12. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Just needed to point out this quote and add that PBS brought us The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, and therefore SHOULD get as much money as we can throw at them. The current guy isn't quite as charismatic as Bob, but I still learn from PBS, and my children most assuredly do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't give money to beggars. Especially if they're being supported by their governments.
    You see beggars having tags hanging in their necks saying, "Need Money to Drink" or stuffs like that.

I'm like.. WTH? What a stoned-face pricks!
    Their begging so that they could drink?

As for charities, I'd say anything the promotes human improvements or have anything to do with shelter, people with disabilities foundations, some foundations or charities that can really uplift people's morals and hopes in life. Of course the charity institution should be credible. Coz they are Fake Non-Gov't.Organizations asking for your money.

14. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Catholic Charities
    Salvation Army
    Toys for Tots

All have a high rate of flow, that is, a great deal of the money you give them goes to the people in need. Everyone has a ratio. You need some of that money to run the organization and pays for various costs, but the first two are very good at passing most of it along.
    And Toys for Tots is just a great program run by Marines and they don't skim a damn thing.

15. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    Forgot about the beggars thing. What I do is hand them cards for one of the employment agencies in town, because a job will get them further than $5.

16. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I've given to the Red Cross, and United Way. I don't normally give to beggars. Why? Because I've seen several of them off-load from a really expensive vehicle to stand at the exits of Walmarts and Targets with signs. One time, at a local Walmart, this guy had a pair of Pomeranian dogs with him. He had a sign saying he was homeless. Well gee guy, you got some expensive pets there. And you homeless?? You broke?? Yeah...I...don't think so. Especially not when you climbed out of a BMW SUV wearing some raggedy ass clothes as if I'm gonna be fooled by all that. And he wasn't the only one in my town that's been spotted exiting their "not cheap" vehicles to go beg at a corner. There were news reports showing how some of these "beggars" have hundreds of thousands of dollars in their bank accounts. One was followed to his nice two story home that...for a homeless beggar...he shouldn't have. However, one time I took one in and bought him food at the McDonald's in the Walmart. He was a fellow veteran. After talking to him, it wasn't anything remotely close to stolen valor. He never fluffed himself up, just talked about where he was, what he did, and he only needed a little bit to get by. It was hot out that day, so I gave him a bottle of water too so he could stay hydrated. Told him about the VA (even though a lot of us vets don't like them) and to try to get some assistance from them. I think I was the only one that gave him anything all day. He ate up the food like he hadn't eaten in days. Unfortunately though, with a lot of them, you don't really know if you're really giving money to someone who actually needs it...or some lazy bum who doesn't want to get a job (other than begging...if that can be considered a job).

17. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toys For Tots
    Local Humane Society
    Local food bank

My ex and my daughter volunteer at the Humane Society every month, and I give whenever I can. These animals need help because of us, so I do what little I can to help.

Toys For Tots is one of the best places to donate because it actually works. I do that yearly.

I've also donated time to the local food bank. There's one in the town I work that is run by a really great guy that works through the United Way.

I rarely, if ever give to beggars. Occasionally, if I see them with a dog, I'll hit the store for some dog food and drop it off with them. Otherwise, way too many scammers. Hell, I remember seeing the same guy with a sign at two Walmarts that are 12-miles apart. He gets picked up by someone in a nice SUV and dropped off at different places.
    When I lived in Pittsburgh, there was a guy in a wheelchair with a military uniform on and a sign saying 'homeless vet, please help, good bless' or something like that. One evening after classes, I witnessed him look around, stand up, fold up the wheelchair and walk away.

Our town has a really good homeless shelter, as well as a lot of programs for the needy. If someone is that desperate, there are other options than harassing shoppers.