Do You Collect G1 Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Dec 28, 2016.

1. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

do you collect G1, and are they worth collecting?

2. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Does a bear shit in the woods? :) 

3. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Lol so thats a yes. I was thinking about doing characters from post movie (Rodimus, Magnus, Galvatron, ect) what do you think?

4. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I still have all of my G1 toys from when I was a kid. I don't actively collect G1 any more because the current Masterpiece line is giving me the representations of the G1 characters that I've wanted since the beginning.

That said, I'm keeping all of my original G1 toys because I like them.

In my opinion, the real question is what makes something worth collecting to you? To me collecting something comes from an affinity for whatever is being collected. If you like the G1 post-movie toys then go for it. :) 

5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I do still collect G1 after all these years. I have spent a lot of time and money on other lines since 2000, but I always find my way back to G1 because there is a lot of depth in how to enjoy the collecting of it.

When I began to explore modern lines and MP stuff, posability, accuracy etc all became key and I stopped buying vintage G1. I didn't think the figures had any more to offer me and I had been there and done that for decades, writing articles, collecting rarities etc. But last year I bought a very nice Targetmaster Misfire for a project, and I fell in love with it and the special feeling and aesthetic that g1 toys have. They are so playable, so easy and user friendly to interact with compared to some modern figures - although Titans return and CW have recreated this feeling quite nicely.

So yeah, G1 still has tonnes to offer and will always be special to me. I enjoy them on more levels than just nostalgia and value, I find them gorgeous and fun toys. The quality and build of some of them still impresses me against today's more budget conscious toys. Compare a G1 Headmaster Nebulan to a Titan Master, and it's quite a noticeable difference.

I now find I like to have toys that complement each other as opposed to replacing them.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Being a post G1 fan, I don't actively hunt them down like some fans would. But if I see one for a decent price I'll go for it.

As far as worth collecting, that's up to you. Find something that doesn't cost too much and see if you like it.

7. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I do, or should say did. I decided to start collecting them all again in 2013 and by 2015 I'd completed my collection.
    The ones that were most thrilling to get were the ones I had as a kid or the ones I'd never even seen, some of which never even showed up in the UK in the 80's such as Swoop, the Predacons, Fortress Maximus and Blaster. If I didn't have that sort of childhood connection I'm not sure I'd be as enthusiastic a collector.
    Dunno how that ties up with your experiences, but here's agratuitouss photo of what Transformers I had when i was a kid. All bought again as an adult.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Yup, although I've never actively sought to own a complete selection of G1, but rather the figures I always most liked the look of. That means, for example, that I don't feel a need to have many minibots, and hardly any of the G1 Seekers(!).
    This year was a slow G1 collecting year, due to just having almost all of the G1's I ever wanted, and due to so many MP's coming in this year, but I did spend my year's budget set aside for G1 on one special item... a MIB unused Diaclone 'Swoop'!

9. ljacone

ljacone Decepticon Pretender

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I buy them here and there, being born in 1980 I have a ton of affection for G1 toys even though I only ever had a handful of them (Gears, Cosmos, Warpath, and Beachcomber) new as a kid. I get struck with bolts from the blue and decide to hunt down G1 toys every now and then, like a few months ago when I decided that I wanted a Superion to face off with my Menasor.

10. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I had collected nearly the entire 84 and 85 catalogues of G1 just before MP10 was released. I now have a collection of 84 and 85 G1 in Masterpiece form and haven't ended up completing my G1 collection... I may actually sell off some of my G1 and just match my MP and G1 figures instead.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

If you're going for post movie I like:

Galvatron
    Ultra Magnus
    Highbrow
    Snapdragon
    Quake
    Doubledealer
    Squeezeplay
    Hot Rod
    Scorponok
    Metroplex
    Scourge
    Snarler
    Battle Patrol
    Sports Car Patrol
    Rescue Patrol

12. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    There is an entire G1 Toy appreciation thread. I suggest hunting that down.

13. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I enjoyed collecting G1 the most prior to the days of ebay, when you could still find them for cheap at thrift shops, yard sales, and flea markets. Now I mostly collect modern stuff but I still enjoy the G1 figures more. Every now and then I'll splurge on some G1 figures. And when I do, I feel a much greater sense of satisfaction adding them to my collection than any modern figures.

I just bought all this at a toy convention for $228.

[​IMG]

View attachment 27647759

And I bought this in the summer at a comic convention for $250.

[​IMG]

View attachment 27591275

I spent more money on modern TF's this year but I appreciate these figures far more.

14. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do I collect G1?....

[​IMG]

.... maybe? :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  15. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Yes, I love G1, as well as the precursor toylines Diaclone and Microchange. But then I was born in the 1970s, so nostalgia is undoubtedly a factor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Horzzo

Horzzo Well-Known Member

I still have all of my childhood G1 collection. I have found some additions at thrift stores and such over the years but i don't go out actively hunting for G1/ I will impulse buy something on ebay if I get an itch. I do love having the G1 collection and they are marvelous toys to this day. I was just looking at Rodimus the other day comparing him to the TR Hot Rod. Awesome stuff!

17. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

There was a time where I only wanted G1 stuff, but it has passed. These days both reissues and buying the original figures costs too much, so I can't think of too many G1 guys I'd still pick up at this point. I have my original Rodimus Prime and the TRU reissue of Powermaster Prime, which are my two favorite childhood toys. The only G1 I may pick up in the future would maybe be an Ultra Magnus, original Prime, or Galvatron.

These days, I'd much rather stick with the CHUG lines. Modern representations of the classic characters is more my thing, and usually cheaper too.

18. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I didn't grow up on G1 but I did grow up watching it on Youtube. I did try to get into the series with reissues of Trailbreaker and Perceptor (plus a Cosmos I found at Botcon 2013) but I don't find the series worth hunting down online or paying the extreme prices some of these go for... Thankfully though I have the CHUG lines for my G1 needs!

19. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you have the desire and means, absolutely. My best advice is to keep your collection focused, stay within your budget and go from there.

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I collect-ed G1, but I'm basically done with collecting G1, I have all the figures I set out to collect and am now happy that, in my mind, my G1 collection is complete. I haven't gotten into any pretenders or powermasters or any of the later stuff, so that saved me a bundle on having a complete G1 collection. Powermasters are probably the only remaining figures I'd consider picking up at some point but MPs and CHUGs are taking all my TF budget so they'll wait, if I ever even convince myself to veer down that path again.