Do You Buy K.Os and Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Feb 16, 2017.

1. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally, no.

The only KO's I have are MP coneheads. I had Ramjet and Thrust but sold them because I didn't like the design changes or the poor QC. I replaced with the BB7 YES Model coneheads (still waiting on Dirge) which fortunately turned out to be superior quality. I also like that they look like the MP11 mold and match better with the other seekers. I also have a KO MP Ratbat becuse I was not about to buy Suondblaster (whom I know nothing about) or pay almost as much as Soundblaster just to get one mini cassette.

I do not see the point in getting a KO unless it is better in some way than the official or if I want to customize with out ruining an official figure.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you think Ramjet is bad you should get a hold of Thrust! At this rate Dirge will fall apart in his box during shipping.

3. Boredicus

Boredicus Member

I've got a few KO's they have helped fill out my collection. I have KO ratbat he's nice, but qc's a little off from the official cassettes. Also have KBB Skywarp and Ironhide looks fine standing next official Ratchet no one would ever know.

4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These are pretty much the only two reasons I will consider a KO:
    • Quality as good or better than the official figure and KO is the same price or significantly cheaper
    • Quality or design of official figure is lacking and KO fixes that

5. ARSone24

ARSone24 TFEW Revo

Ebay:
    Im not a brand name junkie so yes!!! waiting on KO ratchet as of now!!

6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I have a couple of the Diaclone-era copies that they've sworn up and down they "can't" reissue. I bought most of Encore but sadly Takara listened to penniless children towards the end and had to bail out.

7. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Absolutely! Because they are cheaper and often better than the originals. Also, so far I've only bought KOs of characters that I don't care too much about but would like to have as part of my collection. If something is done well to begin with and a major character I want, I will buy the official version.

So far, I have KO Bumblebee, Tigertrack, OS Grimlock and been trying to get Wheeljack (one actually seems to be on the way this time). Happy with all the ones I have so far and there is no way I would buy the official version of any of them.

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Let's see: MP Sideswipe, Prowl, Red Alert, Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, and Ironhide are all KOs and my reasoning is quite simple: they're all priced appropriately.

I was in Toys R Us the other day and they were selling MP Bumblebee for $65. $65 for a toy the size of one of my old G.I. Joe figures. There is nothing overly special or detailed or complicated about MP Bumblebee, other than the VW license, to warrant that kind of price tag. The other carbots are all the same way. Takara and Hasbro charge us that much because they can and because the fans buy it, no questions asked.

The pricing for the KOs just feels right to me and the quality is good enough for just sitting on the shelf or the rare moments when I actually pick up and transform them or re-pose them. I think on average I paid around $30 for each of my KOs. I remember the Alternators could be purchased for $20 or $25 and those were way more intricate than the Masterpiece line.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Hell, I thought $30 was too much, even for KO Bee. Got the G2 Bee from Toydojo for $24. I love that little guy.

10. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Banned

This really helped answer his question. So what if he made a thread? the man wanted some answers and sometimes the fastest way is to just make a thread instead of trying to search for the similar topic.

i bought a couple ko mp cars. sideswipe and red alert. the tabbing bugged the hell out of me. they just dont tab in very well. I do have a ko skywarp the yes model but i bought the hastak too at a decent price. I will prob get the thundercracker if i cant find the tak at a decent price. I havent bought any of the oversized stuff but there is an overwhelming positive reviews for the,m

11. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

I buy them because: 1: they are figures i normally won't buy so i buy KO versions. 2: they are cheap. 3: sometimes better made then the original takara versions.

12. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Because "trying" is so difficult.

And searching an already established thread, and reading it instead of making a new one and waiting for responses is "sometimes" faster?

In what world?

Regardless, this is a common thread topic. There is even a KO Toys thread that is regularly updated and generally stays on the first page.

Reading is fundamental. Searching for information, is likewise fundamental. Suggesting otherwise, especially when the threads of the same topic are already on page one on a consistent basis, is just supporting laziness in an environment where the information is right there in the first place.

So yes, helping. It's teaching how to fish, instead of just giving it to him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Well they sort of filled the box out with the Exosuit. But yeah the MP price point is pretty high.

14. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I originally bought KOs when my budget was very tight, just so I could experience specific figures... knowing they probably wouldn't last, or be of decent quality.

Now that my budget is more forgiving, I've replaced most those KOs with officials, and now almost exclusively buy officials as they ten to hold up far better to handling.

15. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

All this is why I went YM. After TT Ramjet I got YM Ramjet to compare and after that got all the YM cone heads and swapped out the TT seekers. YM just did such a great job improving that mold.

16. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    this is this is a loaded question because in the modern world of Transformers there are qualitatively different things that are all called KO's.

In the traditional sense, a knockoff has generally been seen as an exact or inferior copy of an existing product. So as far as those go, I generally do not buy them unless they are essential pieces whose availability is limited and/or are prohibitively expensive. the first case is the first case is why I ended up getting the KO Sideswipe, which actually got me into the rebooted Masterpiece line.

The other kind of KOs are those that are somehow redesigned... either resized, improved, or otherwise re-engineered. Those I am much more likely to buy if I like them, because they fill holes the official models dont or improve on the originals flaws. Examples include mpp-10, the amazing upsized movie evasion mode op, the voyager sized mp10, igear faith leader and the igear seekers and coneheads, the mp10 ko with the vastly superior paintjob, rhe upsized/diecast movie figures (especially the Black Apple redesigns), the kbb seekers, and the ym coneheads. some of these figures such as evasion mode Optimus and black apple Hound are so extensively redesigned as to functionally be unique third-party figures in my opinion, although they are lumped in with relatively modest redesigns like the I gear seekers or extremely basic improvements such as the kbb seekers improved paint jobs, plastic colors, and tolerances.

There is also kind of a hybrid category where its a straight up KO but is also better than the originals. Thats where i'd rank the yes model seekers. Like the second category, I am much more likely to buy these because they are essentially the best version of the toy available. that's the reason I picked up yes that's the reason I picked up yes model skywarp. I actually had the official Takara version already but skywarp was my first Transformer so I wanted the absolute best version of that toy available.

Only the first type of KO I find even marginally morally objectionable. Knockoffs that improve the original toy not only are producing a better product, they are also generally doing things that the official companies are unlikely to. So they're not really directly competing. The first type of ko in theory competes directly, but in practice usually doesn't because the production run of the figures they're knocking off has almost always finished. So in theory the feral Rex KOs are bad for mmc but in but in practice they sold all of their original stock of feral cons long ago, so this doesn't take a dollar out of their pocket. It sometimes hurts the after market value of official figures, but if you go into toy collecting as an investment you're probably not too bright anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nater

nater Well-Known Member

I will say we are pretty spoiled with KO quality for the most part nowadays. I remember when Dollar Store knockoffs or the Big Lots stuff was where it was at and the really weird stuff that would come about from it. Ahh the childhood memories of getting a G1 Inferno Knockoff. I loved that toy and wish I could find it again.

18. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

It's like....whenever TT makes something that is kind of crappy but I still kind of want it.

For example, TT Ironhide or Ratchet. I needed one of them in my collection because the van bros are unique. Having the KO version of it doesn't feel like a rip off since I don't love it. For the record, I bought TT Ratchet and am just hoping a 3P does Ironhide justice.

On the flip side, I think TT Inferno and Grapple are excellent so I'll buy the authentic version of Grapple since he's got a bit more detail than TT's Blandferno.

The real kicker now is that the KOs have similar if not better QC than the TT versions. Especially in the case of the coneheads where the bar is set so low for such a premium price.

19. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Its a really simple equation of applied mathematics and alternative facts.
    40% Less Cost + 100% Same Quality -10% Less Official Box Enjoyment - carry the 4, divide the 6, draw a squash emoji with a 0.7 pencil while spinning three times in your chair wildly flailing your arms so that the doodle can only be complete when you've faced down the fact that you're about to arrive at= 172.3% More Fun!

KOs are exactly 172.3% more fun than officials.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Just the Upscale sets from JinBao. Bought and sold the OS Predaking because it was a floppy mess, and the individual bot mode heads were ridiculously enlarged. But JinBao's OS Warbotron Bruticus is just amazing.