Do we need Megatron in the IDW reboot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TeamOptimus, Jan 24, 2019.

1. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Megatron has been done a lot in the movies, comics, shows, everything. His backstory has been explored thoroughly. He even became an Autobot. I don’t see anywhere else to go with his character and I wonder if it’s time to phase him out of the comic book canon (he can still be in Cyberverse).

For this upcoming IDW reboot, I don’t think Megatron should be in this new era of Transformers at all beyond the first issue. Maybe HE should be the victim of the first murder on Cybertron, but he’s just a mining bot who writes poetry and is kind of a idealistic leader within his mining group, but nothing more.

The new universe could be reset with Starscream as the leader of the Decepticons with Cyclonus or Soundwave as second-in-command. No Megatron at all for the entire continuity.

Thoughts?

2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

Now there's an idea. A take on this franchise without Megatron as a central figure. Why stop at Megatron? Go the extra mile and let Optimus sit it out too. Ultra Magnus can be the Autobot leader fighting Starscream's Decepticons.

If a cartoon (RID2015) can get away with no Megatron and minimal Optimus, I don't see why the comics couldn't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. megatronski

megatronski Mr. Low attention span

News Credits:
    I mean, I could say the exact same things about Optimus Prime, his character has been explained just as, if not more thoroughly in the movies, comics, shows and everything else as well. Though I have to wonder if you're not biased, seeing your username :p 

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    The entire series should just be 5 years this stock image of Signal Lancer with thought bubbles that relate his thoughts on the state of the united European economy:
    upload_2019-1-25_10-4-12.png

Megatron is one of the hallmark antagonists of Transformers fiction. While he's not necessary, removing him as an antagonist makes for a big narrative vacuum. Unless you restructure the Decepticons completely, someone will eventually turn into a Megatron-alike. Decepticons are dysfunctional bully boys by nature. Without a big, strong, loud, threatening and charismatic leader at the fore, they'd just implode as a faction.

So yeah, I mean, if you want to re-frame the series entirely you can get rid of Megatron. Focus on characters like the Scavengers from IDW's MTMTE/LL or some variant of that, restructure the Decepticons entirely so that they're master spies like the Darlocks from Masters of Orion and hide in the shadows instead of kicking down doors and exploding faces, or something else completely different. I doubt many people will be as invested though - most fans are tuning in to see Optimus and Megatron punch each other.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I feel like you'd be missing out on a lot of opportunity with the character. You could simply go with the "he's missing, presumed dead" route if you don't want him around for the beginning. Just killing him off pointlessly at the beginning to avoid the characters saturation in the brand strips away more creativity than having him as the focus would.

Not that I'm against what you're proposing, though. I think it would be smart to keep a big name like him out of the story for as long as necessary, and allows for some creative freedom. Look at Ex-RID and Optimus Prime. A massive chunk of it was governed around Optimus' development. There is so much potential in the brand beyond these big-names. I think they can, and to some extent should be utilized, but I'm with you that for a fresh start, maybe keeping them out of the story would be beneficial.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I wouldn't pay for reading it.

7. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    I honestly think we do need him again to tear down this image of him being some wimp who was 'good all along' but just had to kill a couple millions upon millions as well as committing tons of other atrocities before he realized it.

That isn't, and shouldn't be who Megatron is, because it's completely antithetical to what and who he is. He can still be complicated and multi-layered without him having his fangs and claws removed.

• Like Like x 5
  8. TeamOptimus

If they have him again, then I hope this pre-War Cybertron shows him as a genuinely good, compassionate person for several issues of the reboot who has a gradual descent into villainy, first becoming a Magneto type of character then going off the rails. Megatron has always been a bit one dimensional with the evil warlord thing (and it’s been done so much in every medium) compared to other cons like Starscream. That’s why I think Starscream would make a better lead villain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

This. So much this.

IDW did so much wrong with this character that an emergency maintenance must be performed so this image won't stuck.

Emotron no more.

Thank goodness their books were fairly niche. I'd be far, far worse if it was a mainstream medium.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Being the spiteful, contrarian person that I can be at times, I'd actually mess with those who are wanting a sympathetic, redeemable Megatron by making him seem that way at first, then reveal his true colors as a manipulative malignant narcissist, betraying the protagonists - and the audience - in the most painful way possible.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It'd be epic.

• Like Like x 4
  12. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    We absolutely need him in the reboot because he's been missing from the comics for a few years as is.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TeamOptimus

See, but isn't that exactly what his deal is in nearly every version (movies, comics, shows), including the recent Cyberverse stuff? That description fits his backstory in "Megatron Is My Hero" perfectly.

It would mess with me in that deja vu sort of way.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Usually they just leave it as backstory. I'm talking about teasing the sympathizers in real time, letting them lower their guard, then sliding in the metaphorical knife of "no, he was an evil bastard who was playing you this whole time, using your vulnerabilities against you for his own sick pleasure."

• Like Like x 2
  15. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Transformer need him. They need Optimus Prime and I personally think they need Optimus to be “the good guy,” and hey need Megatron to be “the bad guy.” They can do it, however without making Optimus a lame-duck leader like they did in early-IDW or making Megatron a caricature of a reformed villain like MTMtE. Give us two competent leaders with opposing views of the same issue and heir solutions spinning out of control

• Like Like x 4
  16. misfire19d

misfire19d Uniquely-minded Transformers fan.

Does MOTU need He-Man and Skeletor? Nah, screw those guys.

Does DC need Superman and Lex Luthor? Nope, deep-six em.

Did the NBA need Larry Bird and Magic Johnson? LOL, please.

Do I need Burger King and Ronald McDonald? You’re damn right I do.

• Like Like x 5