Do Transformers necessarily need a "Humanoid Face"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by skywarp-2, Nov 5, 2019.

?

Do Transformers necessarily need a " Humanoid Face"?

1. Yes, I love the mask idea better

18.8%
  2. No, They are robots, and are just built different

81.3%
  1. skywarp-2

skywarp-2 Master of Teleportation

Ebay:
    One of the things that I have often wondered was why did the creators of Beast Wars necessarily feel that Optimus Prime needed a face under the face shield? It also appeared again in the Bayverse movies with Optimus Prime having a battle mask that opens and shuts.

While I appreciate that some have a need to see humanoid faces behind such masks, as a kid growing up with G1, and subsequent properties, it never occurred to me, or was necessary for me to have a Bot have a humanoid face underneath.

to me, Optimus Prime was a different robot, so his face was the masked face. No mouth necessary underneath, as the full face was made that way to begin with. Same too for Wheel Jack, and Shockwave, and Soundwave. I never felt that they were wearing masks, just that they were particular robots that were just built that way, showing somehow a design or "race" of bot or generation.

So the Question is, do they necessarily need to have a humanoid face under the mask?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

Say not, Shockwave did not exactly have a humanoid face.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

I think it boils down to how relateable we want the character to be. It's hard to 'relate' to, say, Shockwave, in the visual sense because well...he pretty much doesn't have a face!

I believe it also depends on the character and, in a way, the continuity the design is for. Going back to Shockwave: he's a cold calculating scientist in many continuities...and that is clearly conveyed by his 'face design'. He has no emotions, so why would he have a proper face to show them?

In contrast, Starscream is a scheming, sly backstabbing character that is very emotional. Give him the same head design as Shockwave and it wouldn't carry through as well (TFP's Screamers wide opticked 'please don't kill me' expression wouldn't nearly be as effective....).

• Like Like x 6
  4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Pretty much this. It's a lot harder to read a Shockwave or Mass Effect Geth-style face than it is a regular human-like face. If we were reading a novel, it would be different, but Transformers is primarily a visual franchise.

Faceless designs works best for characters like Shockwave and Soundwave. As an aside, I still say that TfP Soundwave is the best, especially in terms of design.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    I don't see it as a problem either way, because there is a wide variety of faces. Humanoid, machine, cyclopean, animal, and wtf-am-i-looking-at?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Those humanoid faces for Soundwave of all TFs were one of the derpiest things OldIDW ever published. Good artists can draw emotions and body language even with faceless bots.

• Like Like x 4
  7. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Sassin' Assassin

IDW removing some character's mouth plates feels like one of those Cursed Images you see the internet.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

^ Likewise.

• Like Like x 2
  9. skywarp-2

Ebay:
    I don't know, I mean I suppose both are good, but the need to make a face underneath what would otherwise be thought of as the actual face is what gets me. I mean, I don't need to see Optimus Prime with a humanoid face, lips and nose and so on. I mean, I never understood that need to do so. To my 9 year old rationale back when the show was on the air, I took the term "ROBOTS in disguise" as robots.. they can have any head they want, and they would not necessarily all have humanoid faces, so to me, Prime was built for battle. Which is why he doesn't have a mouth like the other bots. Wheel jack's face was an advancement which aides him in his technical creations. Soundwave too, and also Shockwave. Their non-humanoid faces like the rest of those on Cybertron were upgrades to the classic humanoid face design, to which Megatron still has, as well as the seekers. If you look at it as more of a technical intrinsic addition to the character, as if they were made that way on purpose, the need to have a face isn't necessarily an addition that would need to happen. I Kinda hope that the new Bumblebee universe Optimus retains his mask, and doesn't do the face thing like the Bayverse prime did.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TransformersFanTheTruth

TransformersFanTheTruth Banned

NO!!! I HATE how they are starting to give the Transformers humanoid faces and mouths under there mouth plates! This is why I think the idw comics are garbage with all the unessacary changes they make the characters.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I think it will come down to how humanized they want the character to be. depends on the prime as I cant imagine Armada Prime with a mouth but Animated and beast wars prime I think works with a mouth since they are supposed to be sympathize with. so what ever floats your boat I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

No, but I also don't have a problem with the idea of giving some faceplated bots faces beneath. Whether it works depends on the character, to some it's just armor. Optimus Prime in particular I'm fine with having a face because technically he had one even back in the G1 cartoon as Orion Pax, plus it moved as if he had facial muscles moving beneath it when he talked. Soundwave with a face though, no thanks. Not having a face makes him more unnatural and creepy, which goes well with his synthesizer voice. It's a case-by-case thing for me, I couldn't just give a blanket statement.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Venixion

News Credits:
    Yeah but, they gotta eat too.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

I'm fairly neutral, as always, depending on the actual character and intent

• Like Like x 1
  15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    They emoted pretty well without mouths in Bumblebee, so no, I don't think it's necessary, but it helps with variety.

Because they wanted him to be able to smile.

Which is smart, because the mouth practically defines Primal as a separate entity from Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  16. skywarp-2

Ebay:
    Yea, I get that. It made him feel more of a different bot then a remake of the original.
    But, One of the reasons I like Waspinator is because he's not traditional in his face.
    Cyberverse is essentially a reboot of the G1 story, using the allspark not energon sources..
    So, I was surprised they gave Prime another mouth face plate thing again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They don't 'need' it, but they don't not need it. It really depends on the character. Transformers are broad enough for every kind of face and non-face that can be imagined.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Venixion

News Credits:

*snurf* XD

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I think that's the first time I seen the word non face before. I have seen them separately but together makes me not want to see it again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

I'm OK with OP having a face but Soundwave having a face is disasterous to say the least.

• Like Like x 1