Do Transformers fans care about secondary product lines?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Astrotrain52, May 31, 2014.

1. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Generations are now a TRU exclusive, you wont see them anywhere else until they hit clearance in 12 to 14 months, then they may hit discount chains.

true and kids buy fun stuff.

construct bots soundwave is awesome and im never getting rid of it....very G1

2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Looking at what I've bought in close to 30 years of collecting, I can safely say I'm not interested in those.

I have one G1 decoy (came with Throttlebot Chase), bought a Kre-O out of interest and regretted it, and recently bought a Botshot because I could use its head for a custom.

And that's all. Even if things like BotShots, One step flipchangers and all that sort of stuff would cost only 10 cents I still wouldn't buy it.

3. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I hardcore love transformers, it is one of the pillars of my life. 90% of what hasbro makes no longer interests me - even main line. It just seems anything worth doing is being done better by someone else. So the ancillary lines hold very little allure.

The one exception was rescue bots, but that was before they cheaped them out.

4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Secondary lines are there for brand recognition & expansion.

I am not into them myself, but I do understand them.

Take those AOE Titans for example. I don't think they're just only aimed
    at toddlers who can't handle transformations yet.... no, they're also for
    Transformers fans who want to have something inexpensive in their office
    cubicle they don't have to worry about.

Could those Titans still be better in terms of sculpt & paint ? Sure... but that's a
    whole different discussion.

5. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    I have to say that this would be true.

If collectors are only considered to be 10-15% of Hasbro Transformers sales (quoted from somewhere a few years ago), it means the majority of purchases are from parents (as gifts, but preferring not to spend too much, often choosing the cheaper option if a particular character is desired) and newbie kids (new to the Brand with limited funds, so are more likely to be forced to buy cheaper character toys, which are often the gimmick lines).

I see the gimmick toys as being more often the "gift" toys, while the "Generations" toys are more often the "collectable" toys.
    One type people give, one type people keep. Especially adult collectors.

Considering the age rating of the movie, and its target demographic (teens and older), it makes me wonder who are buying all of these (young) gimmick toys that are going to be filling stores for the next few months.

For the first two waves of this Movie line, we have twice as many gimmick toys as "collector" toys...
    15 - mainline "Generations" (8 Deluxe, 4 Voyager, 3 Leader)
    29 - gimmick figures (7 Power Battlers, 7 One-step Basic, 1 One-step Mega, 1 One-step Electronic, 4 Flip&Change, 3 Dino-sparkers, 4 Titan 12inch, 2 Titan 16inch)
    (ignoring Construct-Bots and Kreo, as they could go in either category)

On the Australian fansite, we started a poll to see how many (adult) collectors are likely to buy the gimmick figures, and so far it is at 85% who don't see themselves buying any of the gimmick figures, while the remaining 15% are likely to buy one or two.

So even though we (adult collectors) are more likely to ignore the gimmick toys, they make up the greater number of products in stores because we are not Hasbro's primary consumer group. (to them we are the vocal minority)

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:

^ This.

Personally I look at it as a way to save money. I'm not in love with the main line stuff (movie) that Hasbro is putting out either.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've always been off and on with the "secondary line" offerings. It's hit/miss with a lot of stuff.

Constructabots I can't fathom how anyone enjoys those things, but there are collectors that do. Many friends of mine have bought several of the releases and they praise them.

Kre-O is a fun secondary offering and it continues to make some gems. That new Grimlock set? Awesome.

Bot Shots? Eh... they were cool for a short period of time, then it became too much.

All the new stuff we're seeing like Flip and Change, non-transforming figures ... to collectors that may be secondary, but I'm assuming that's the main line stuff Hasbro is hoping sells. Some of them look really fun, others not so much. I'll buy one for my kiddos, but beyond that my money is still on a Generations type figure.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  8. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro does research, they have a much better understanding of what kids want then we do. If you're not interested in product, you're probably not paying too close attention to what is on the shelves, so just because a shelf or peg hasn't been cleared of all the 1-step doesn't mean they aren't selling.

Fans often point to the idea that all the things they don't like will go on clearance and there for they are bad and didn't sell. Back in the classics days we had the Ultra Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack go on clearance, I have seen Generations Springer also on clearance as well as MP Skywarp. So what does clearance mean, it doesn't always mean a product isn't selling, but that they are transitioning to the next product line.

Though as much as I love Kreo and Kreons, those clearly weren't a success for stores, since most stores stopped carrying them and they became a TRU exclusive. Because the first wave went on clearance I think a lot of people who wanted them waited until the second wave went on clearance as well.

9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Sometimes I care more about Kre-O then any other Transformers line, especially during "down times" like now because currently I'm only after a few of the Movie Generations, the IDW Generations and MP all of which come out very spaced out from one another.

Collecting the Kreons is amazingly fun and satisfactory.

I agree, I collected every Bot Shot (except tragically the wave with Skywarp and the last Wrecker that never came out here) but the gimmicky Spin-Shots and Jump Shots were when I decided to back out. Thanks for reminding me to hunt down that last wave though!

10. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Fricking love Construct-bots and Kreos, and I'm extremely dissapointed that Botshots are no more.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    It's kinda funny, in the past gimmick lines would be their own characters, but now they're just alternate versions of existing ones.

Kre-O, Bot Shots, and Construct-Bots at least had their own appreciation threads, so those obviously got love from us willing-to-join-a-message-board fans. Would be interesting to see if any of the others spawn their own in the upcoming weeks/months.

I myself adore Kreons, even more than the regular line now. More articulated than Lego figs, not overly detailed like the Mega Bloks figs, no homage being too obscure, incredibly easy to customize... what's not to love? You'd think "non-transforming Transformers" would be a dealbreaker, but bizarrely I think that lack makes me like them more -- no solving a transformation puzzle = don't wear out their appeal.
    Plus, they were excellent online sale fodder as they were seemingly always in-stock.

I'm surprised how quickly Bot Shots died out. They were everywhere, made new gimmicks, then were nowhere.

12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I'm not much into these separate lines, but I would support the release of a batch of Autobot Robot Heroes cast in solid red plastic and Decepticon Robot Heroes cast in solid purple plastic. I would proudly display those with my Classics/Universe/Generations figures.

13. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

"Secondary" lines you talk of aren't aimed at collectors, they're aimed at kids. With the new movie, their will be more kids interested in buying Transformers, including kids not normally inclined to such complex toys. So they make more simplified toys for them. Once the movie actually hits, they'll move more.

Keep in mind that a line doesn't have to fly off the shelves to be a success. If it has six months to a year of reasonable sales on the shelf next to hotter products, and the remainder gets clearanced off, that's pretty par for the course in toy sales. Just because Generations moves a little better doesn't mean they're stupid for not only doing them. The simplified ones probably bring in more per unit, anyway. Staying power for a line like bot shots isn't vital; the stores are going to want new lines anyway.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    The European Packaging is a nightmare much in some cases all of the identification data the American packaging has is missing. One step Drift does not even have One step clearly written on him and I think the shops in the UK think that's all there is... Hasbro never even bothered telling them about generations Movie toys as TRU-UK has them all.

I never saw anything for Iron man 3 in the UK besides some very basic 5 points of articulation figures and some limb swappers - I understand they made a few better toys - not that you'd know that from the UK choice and it's the same with Transformers I look in one my local Toymasters (a good one with lots of tourist traffic as it's in Newmarket) and all they have is under 8's stuff and some legion reissues (at double the price they are worth and they don't even come with weapons).

The best I can hope for is that some of the exclusives show up in Tesco or Sainsburys.

15. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wouldn't be such an issue if my local Walmart wouldn't fucking confuse the Generations stuff with the One Step Changers.

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Do they put them on the wrong hanger ?

17. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just adding a bit to my previous post, RPMs are alright and Bot Shots were ok before they added gimmicks to the gimmicks.

18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, you've got me wondering if I should see if there's any left, I couldn't tell if it was G1 esque or I just wanted it to be G1 esque to fill a bit more of the very big gap in my collection.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I liked plain vanilla Botshots better too The follow up ones didn't always work as well.
    It's a shame the 5 packs are not so easy for me to find - I could have easily jumped on board with them.

20. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Only interested in the Generations stuff. I might be more receptive towards the rest if it wasn't so blatantly half-assed (even considering the intended audience)

[​IMG]

They killed the Cyberverse line for this?