Do TFs ruin other toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blot, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    In other words, do they make other toys pointless? Is there a point to having a toy car when you could have a toy car that transforms into a robot? :inquisiti 

For example, my son, who will be two in a couple months, was playing with a regular toy car and kept tugging on the back saying "pull legs out" and getting frustrated. I told him it was not a Transformer and did not transform and he responded "put away, daddy get Transformers." (he has some rescue bots and a one stepper RID Grimlock--his favorite--and he also likes playing with daddy's old McDonald's Changeables and Rock Lords--don't judge him!:D --and watching/helping daddy transform "daddy's toys").

So, my question is a bit tongue-in-cheek as I played with other toys too as a kid and my son does too, but this experience just reminded me that TFs are still, with good reason, the best toys ever! :bowdown: :buttrock :bay 

• Like Like x 1
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You can't use Transformers cars on Hot Wheels tracks (not enough mass)

You can't put Transformers into 1:18 scale cars (not enough... humaness)

So uh yeah. That's all I got.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, you're comparing apples to oranges. Just because I have an 18" tall toy that is made up of six other toys that can transform into construction vehicles doesn't diminish my 4" tall Figma Link. They both accomplish what I wanted to them to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

For me personally? Kind of. I started collecting action figures again roughly 2 years ago starting with Marvel Legends and then DBZ figuarts. I loved them and poured a lot of money into completing the DBZ (at the time) and amassing a sizable chunk of legends. I am an avid comic reader and happened upon the IDW Transformers comics. Well after falling down that rabbit hole I decided to look into Transformers toys. Once I discovered masterpieces and the preponderance of amazing 3rd party offerings I was hooked. It was at this point I realized due to space and budgetary constraints that I needed to focus my collecting and decided to eliminate the majority of my non TF collection with a few exceptions. the primary logic behind that for me, is that I felt like I was getting more for my money from a transformers figure than a comparably price figure from another line. Obviously this is my opinion, but I definitely get a deeper sense of satisfaction from my TF purchases in general. That being said I would never part with my Marvel Legends Fin Fang Foom or Marvel Universe Galactus.

• Like Like x 2
  5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    My son between 4-6 preferred Hot Wheels. Between 7 and 10, he preferred Robot Heroes and would even want older figures he saw at hobby resale stores. Going on 12, he prefers Legends scale Transformers. Hasbro has said that Transformers is the last toy boys will play with entering their teenage years. While I think Lego is challenging that nowadays, they weren't and still aren't quite wrong in that sentiment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Definitely, they ruined almost everything else for me, except video games, of course. Outside of the odd remote control car, match box car or TMNT figure, I didn't really care for anything non-TF, TF's stood the test of time to me where as everything else fell by the waist side.

My stance on non-transforming figures since the age of ten or so has been; "Well...they don't do anything, all they really do is just stand there!" I suppose TFs do the same but you pretty much get two toys for one and then the whole transformation aspect of them not to mention the characters attached to the figures.

I recently decided to branch into other toys, namely, a Marvel select Carnage figure, got it about a week ago, same day as MP 14+ and still haven't opened it. But I think the real reason is partly due to me not wanting to go down that rabbit hole, haha.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    As a kid, yeah. I hated how even the cheapest TFs were more posable than normal action figures, and so I rarely bought outside of it. TFs were also usually more intricate than other transforming robot things like Power Rangers Zords.

Even today you're unlikely to find the articulation of Transformers in anything that's not a collector-focused line.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yes you can. the spychangers from the first RID are meant to go with Hotwheels and Matchbox cars and go in their tracks

• Like Like x 2
  9. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Moderator

My son has a variety of stuff, with most being transformers, wooden trains (Thomas) and Star Wars 3 3/4" figures and they all get played with in different capacities. Some times they get played with together but I wouldn't say that one fully replaces the other. When I was a kid I had a lot of G1 figures as well as MASK and GI Joe stuff and they all were loved. With that being said, I would say though, that I did love the there was another element to the Transformers and MASK toys as they transformed into some other form which seriously added to the play pattern which compared to something like GI Joe which was what it was.

10. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Well it does feel weird when I compare a Transformer I bought to a Marvel Legends I bought. I feel I get more for my buck when I buy a Transformer, but I still collect Marvel Legends since I can actually find/get what I want.

11. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Emotional Age 18 & UP

No.

I love my permanent Transformers collection even when my cognitive OCPD draws up superficial issues for me not to be happy with one select piece or another.

But I have also found myself drawn to other lines, both related to TakaraTomy's stuff and other brands. For example, the Tomica line is not cheap... But it offers a variety from standard cars to Transformers-like toys (Tomica: Next Level).

And the non-TakaraTomy stuff has me wish I was able to stick with the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean portion of thr Super Action Statue line. But now has me looking for what to get once I complete my goal. (Which will not be more Transformers.) :) 

12. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fin fang foom is too awesome. I will never give him up. EVER.