Do TFs only use their alt modes for disguise?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Alph, Mar 24, 2020.

?

Do TFs only use their alt mode for disguise?

1. They only use their alt modes for disguise.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They use their alt modes for other things, such as movement speed.

37 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

So, as we all know, Transformers are often referred to as "robots in disguise". But is disguise the only thing their alt mode is good for, or do their alt modes give them abilities that they are incapable of performing in robot mode? For instance, are TFs able to move faster in vehicle mode than in robot mode?

I personally think it's incredibly obvious that TFs use their vehicle modes to increase their movement speed (if they are a car), increase their fire power (if they are a weapon or tank), increase their flight abilities (if they are a jet or plane), etc. But others apparently disagree with this notion, so I thought I would open it up to discussion. What do you guys all think?

2. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave Well-Known Member

Alt modes seem to serve a variety of purposes. Disguise is one, but they also allow for faster transportation and increased firepower, among other things. There are also some Transformers, like the Dinobots, Predacons, Insecticons, and Seacons, where the alt modes are totally useless for disguise. A twenty-foot-long eagle isn't a very effective disguise. :)  These altmodes seem designed solely for greater maneuverability and increased strength and brutality.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is my basic take/ Head Cannon:

" In the beginning,when the Autobots learned/invented how to transform,it was just that, disguise to hide and sneak up on the Decepticons and win the Second Great War.

Over the Millenia, both factions , realizing transformation had more potential,adjusted the technology,Decepticons to arm themselves better and quicker( Example: Megatron is a warrior,so his alt- mode is a weapon),and the Autobots for desired specialties ( Example: Preceptor is a scientist,so his body is able to transform into a piece of lab equipment).

When the Third Great War happened, most bots on each side altered their modes for war,only using disguise when battling on other worlds."

Obviously, you have variations( Predacons,Insecticons,Dinobots) which are from experimentation and alteration.
    You also have Transformers who turn into flesh, blood and metal bots( Beast Wars, Beast Machines,Pretenders e.t.c.) depending on cannon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I don't think they function well as disguises most of the time. They tended to be able to recognize each other in their alt modes more often than not, perhaps because they all have giant symbols that identify their factions. I think it works for disguise on Earth to hide from humans, and we saw some use an alt mode to hide from the enemy (Soundwave as a lamppost, for instance). The G1 beast modes are pretty horrible choices for hiding because they are still clearly mechanical (and in the case of the Dinobots, extinct). Don't even get me started on the silliness of Pretenders, Micro Masters, and Mini-Cons.

• Like Like x 1
  5. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I think back to the Prime two-parter where Bee's T-cog is stolen for that; when they had to chase Knock Out at the end, he couldn't transform, so he was slower on foot. Not only that, but he also couldn't convert partway to deploy his arm cannons, so I'd say transforming in general plays a big strategic role for Transformers/Cybertronians.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Utility and locomotion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

How about Dinobots? They're using more of their alt mode to fight, and occasionally their bot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    In multiple cartoons/comics you see them using their vehicle modes to transport cargo and the like, so no, not just for disguise.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The mere fact that they transformed at all before coming to Earth answers this.

• Like Like x 5
  10. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I would hope they don't use their altmodes just for disguise. A lot of them are very poor choices, and not just the mecha-critters. A Lamborghini fire vehicle? A racecar that can't possible be street legal? A concept vehicle of which only like 5 were ever made? And if you were a Seeker and saw 2 Lamborghinis driving down the road side by side, why wouldn't you gamble a little ammo on the chance that they were Sideswipe and Sunstreaker? It wouldn't be much of a gamble.

But there were many occasions in the fiction where practical uses of altmodes were highlighted, as well.

• Like Like x 4
  11. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it is occasionally for disguise, but mostly for being improved in a different area.

-MTMTE ep 1: Soundwave uses lamp pole alt mode to hide in plain sight. Allows for easier espionage. Also Wheeljack is able to store more energy rods and move faster than just carrying them.

Reflector is able to record images for espionage. Megatron becomes a more powerful weapon in battle. Soundwave and his cassettes recorded autobot plans.

in Beast Wars it was for protection. Too much energon and it would be deadly. Beast Modes were like armor defense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    On Cybertron they weren't for disguise, but utility.
    On Earth, the premise was to hide in plain sight. But as mentioned above, some were more less than obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

If they’re just for disguise, someone should probably let this guy know he’s doing it wrong.

upload_2020-3-26_12-28-30.png

“Is that the alien robot we’ve been looking for?!”
    “Nah, it’s just a giant fuschia sabretooth robot bat monster. I wonder where the alien robot went?”

• Like Like x 2
  14. Longitudinalwave

:lol  The Decepticon Pretenders have a similar problem.
    "Oh, no, it's alien robots!"
    The Decepticons enter their Pretender Shells
    "Never mind, it's just horrifying twenty-foot-tall monsters. Nothing to worry about here!"

• Like Like x 3
  15. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

*looks behind not-even-vaguely-suspicious Cyborg Bat Monster*

“Well, shit. No robots here, either.”

• Like Like x 2
  16. Longitudinalwave

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then there's these guys!
    "Hey, could those dumpy little monsters that shoot fire be the dumpy little alien robots with flamethrowers?"
    "Don't be ridiculous! Why, those monsters' wings are in a slightly different position!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Longitudinalwave

This reminds me of this one fan comic where Optimus Prime was asking the Autobots what their alt modes are. Mirage says he's a Formula One racecar, and then Wheeljack says "I turn into one very specific race car...from another continent". Optimus Prime is getting increasingly frustrated, and then Comos flies past. "I'm a UFO!"

• Like Like x 2
  18. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

While the advantages of vehicle alt modes for purpose other than disguise are mostly obvious, here are my ideas for how beast modes can be used:

Some fliers can’t fly in robot mode

I head canon monster and dinosaur alt modes as re routing a lot of functions to make them powerful and skilled fighters but overall dumber while in beast mode.

Enhanced senses

• Like Like x 1
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Their alt modes aren't to disguise their robot mode, it's to disguise their shame at having the second worst robot modes in all of TF history.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I can not agree here

it seems to me that the only times they were able to recognize each other was when they moved as groups or were expecting each other to arrive

and both teams always seemed oblivious to their faction symbols when in vehicle/disguise modes

Examples
    The Decepticons didn’t recognize Tracks
    Soundwave wasn’t recognized several times even once inside of Ironhide
    Ironhide couldn’t tell the real Red Alert form a regular car
    According to season 3, the autobots developed the art of transformation fir reasons of Stealth and disguise

Don’t ruin our fun by throwing real world logic into this lol

In reality those vehicle molds were chosen because they were cool looking and they were trying to sell toys, and those toys are being sold well before the concept of the comic/cartoon was even thought up

So when considering the fiction, you got to use a little suspension of disbelief and just believe these vehicles are more common place and they are in the real world

• Like Like x 2