Do People Want Figures With New Designs ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Reygn, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Is anyone hoping for a company to make figures with new designs, as in, Bay/Knightverse Ironhide, IDW/Bayverse Drift, IDW/G1 Sprimger, Bay/FOC Grimlock, or even G1/Bayverse Devastator.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Out of 3P or Hasbro/Takara I would like to see a complete new original robots. I guess this is more of an official figure rant. I want a 2nd beast wars set up with 100% new characters and not playing with the exact same set of rules. I don’t want Optimus Prime vs Megatron again.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Depends on the design.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    No.
    What I do want is a company to produce chug versions of the late G1 and the G2 characters.

I do like Toyworlds period alt mode line, but I'd like it even better if they were original characters instead of the usual early G1 names.

• Like Like x 3
  5. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love new designs of characters.

I actually think that if Hasbro were to continue with the Evergreen format even after Cyberverse I would probably get a few of those figures. Especially if they're like the deluxes that they just started to release.

There's also the new movie universe that seems to be coming out with some more original designs, even if they have their primary roots in G1.

Original characters would be cool too. I know that there was going to be a Generations 3.0 where they had completely original characters but it was canned in favor of Combiner Wars, which was the more logical choice. I think if Hasbro wanted to do something similar to that now, I bet they would be able to do it if they wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think it depends on the designs.

It's generally safer to go with existing deigns that people already know and like but that does get boring. Like I don't get why there are so many different versions of G1 Optimus Prime or why there are now 2 different MP Bumblebees. It's one thing to make an updated version of an existing design when the original toy had major design flaws. Making a new version that's more accurate to the cartoon and has better articulation fine I'm all for that. But some of these figures are getting ridiculous now. They're updating figures that were done perfectly already. Like I don't give a crap about MP 10 or whatever number G1 Optimus is now. I have MP 01, the FIRST Optimus they ever released and that figure is perfect. I don't get why they even needed to redo him.

I would much rather see NEW designs for these characters than to see them remake the G1 designs over and over and over and over. I'm not going to keep buying G1 characters when I'm already happy with the one I have. It has to be a huge improvement over my current figure for me to even consider replacing it. G1 toys were not the best. Especially Ironhide and Ratchet. And we can make HUGE improvements to those figures making them far more accurate and articulated than the original toys were. But once we have an accurate articulated version of the character there's no reason to make another one just a year or two later. Unless the figure had a major design flaw like the first MP Megatron had a commonly reported problem of breaking in half so I understand why they released a second MP Megatron to fix what was a major design flaw in the original toy. Again that's fine... just stop making the same damn characters over and over again for no reason! I'm so tired of seeing the same thing.

That said... new designs can also be a sort of double edged sword.

I like them to still be recognizable as the character. Beast Machines Optimus Primal, Movie Protoform Optimus Prime, and Evasion mode Optimus Prime (With his movie accurate color scheme) are not great designs because I don't instantly recognize them as Optimus. And Beast Machines is by far the worst one. The other two are great if you just give him the correct color scheme but BM Primal still looks wrong even with G1 Colors.

They don't need to look 100% like G1 just enough so I can look at them and instantly recognize who they are without having to be told who they are.

Some times they can look NOTHING like the original and still be good designs but that generally works better with obscure characters no one really cared about in the first place. Like Barricade, the movie design is who everyone thinks about now because no one even cared about Barricade before the movie.

It can be safer to go with an entirely NEW character so there's no original to compare with but that can still cause problems too. Nightscream from Beast Machines is still a horrible design despite not having another Nightscream to compare him to. Same thing with a lot of original Movie characters. These designs are awful because they don't even look like they can transform. I always thought the Beast Machines Maximals looked more like Digimon than Transformers. The robots in the live action movies look like they were ripped out of other completely different franchises... and some of them quite literally were as Bay himself admitted that one of the Terminator movies was being edited in the same building when they were working on RotF and he straight up copied one of their robots.

Something new I would really like to see them do and have always wanted to see them do... design the toys first but design them in such a way that the robot is completely hidden inside the alt mode. If it's a vehicle make sure it has an actual interior. If it's a beast design for the beast mode first so we don't end up with a lot of robot kibble showing. I want the disguises to actually look as realistic as possible. Then make that transform into a robot... no cheating needed because they're designed to be realistic alt modes first and robots second. And then match the animation models to those toys. The more they look like something that could actually exist and the less they have to cheat to make the designs work the better it's going to be. The more they cheat, the more they look like they have to defy the laws of physics to transform, the more I hate those designs.

Though they can get with more on a Cybertronian mode design than they can with an Earth design... and in that instance just don't make it look too much like something I could see IRL. Looking at you Siege figures since most of you look like Earth mode vehicles.

7. Reygn

Reygn Banned

For me, I want to see designs like BB Optimus be melded with the cleanliness of Prime Optimus, who happens to have few exposed truck parts. Characters like G1 Hoist and Grapple look dumpy, and that's something the Earthrise figures fix. Prime Soundwave looks awesome, and that's one more thing I hate about RID 2015, because they went more G1 in his appearence.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it,especially if it breaks the repetitiveness of Hasbro giving us nothing but G1 inspired designs over and over and over again even when there's no real need to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love to see them try something different like they did with BW/RID/AEC... It’s sad how for many years we begged to have G1 revisited and now we can’t get away from it. Don’t get me wrong, I love G1, but I’m started to get tired of the same characters over and over. I love it when they make a new toy of a character NOT from 1984-1986...

• Like Like x 6
  10. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    I just want a non-obese Long Haul.

11. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

I really like figures with cool designs who don't have any serious fiction connected to them, allows me to have my imagination run wild and come up with their back story and personality myself. For this reason I adore guys like HoTD Breacher or RoTF Stratosphere, not to mention all the new guys from Combiner Wars.

• Like Like x 3
  12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, this people does...new characters too...with some quality media to go along with it...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Stratosphere is the bot we needed, but didn't deserve.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want new characters is what I want

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I actually prefer RID2015 Soundwave over Prime. He's not an exact copy of G1 cause he still has that Prime face and a vehicle mode. He's just close enough to still be recognizable as Soundwave. The Prime design was so lanky and odd looking compared to other Soundwaves he could of been a totally new character. The head sculpt was the only thing that really kinda looked like Soundwave but a lot of characters have Decepticon insignia head designs now days including the Fallen and Tarn that it's really not enough to say yeah that has to be Soundwave. I mean the Movie version of Soundwave also had a totally different body type and the DotM version even had a totally different color scheme but his head design with the visor and face plate looked far more like Soundwave than mr. screen face. That head design worked better on a body that looks more like Soundwave so I didn't mind it as much with how different his face... or lack there of... looked compared to other Soundwaves.

Though the worst Soundwave has to be the Beast Wars version. I prefer to call him Leatherwing since he's a mutant who transforms from alligator to bat and has no actual robot mode. Leatherwing was a planned repaint that never saw any official release so I've just taken to applying that name to the original mold. It suits him far better than calling him Soundwave.

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

New designs for new characters would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just want MP versions of Overdrive and Punch/Counter Punch whoever the heck makes them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

If Hasbro decide to do a pure IDW line I'd have to seriously question myself after buying ALL of WFC thus far. Because that would be some serious dedication if I then pulled the trigger on that too.

I'd only buy it if it was from Hasbro... I can't even look at filler kits in case I get into those, so seriously expensive lines are a total non-starter!

19. Ditko

Ditko Well-Known Member

I love WFC as anyone on these forums knows so have a HUGE want list before getting new designs.

That said, to answer your question: yes. Not now at all. But one thing I loved about Prime Wars and Thrilling 30 was all the comic goodness. I would love to see a Livio Ramondelli inspired wave. Optimus and the Constructicons especially. Would look amazing to me. I know his style isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love it.

20. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I want it all, and I want it now!

But seriously, new characters bring new designs so that would be a given.
    Updating designs for classic characters is also cool, and basically what's been going on since Classics. For me the thing is that the designs have to be familiar. You can have a brand new Optimus, but don't make him green and purple with no chest windows and make him a Pinto, know what i mean?

• Like Like x 1