Do Pacific Rim mech designs negate the "old Transformer designs too blocky" argument?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And yet, the Pacific Rim mechs aren't anywhere near as blocky as the G1 cartoon Transformers.

Honestly, if you took those and placed them in a TF movie, they'd fit right in imo.

2. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I think there's a happy medium between Pacific Rim's large, simple, flat surfaces and the Transformers Trilogy's seemingly needlessly complex designs.

You could easily explain a redesign with a more "streamlined" profile and design by saying the Autobots had been on Earth for several years, and having had a chance to further study Earth technology, refined their appearance.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The mech designs in Pacific Rim are very interesting, and are visually stunning without having to be made for thousands of computer generated parts. They are also each unique in design as well. Michael Bay and his design crew could take a few cues from Pacific Rim, and streamline the robot designs for TF4.

However, the many-layered, segmented look of the movie Transformers is iconic to that part of the franchise. They would have to keep the segmenting there in some capacity, so that the visual appeal of the transformations is there, and it's not just two steps and it's done.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread is tl;dr at this point, but I'm 99% sure no one is asking for CGI renders of 80s animation models.

I just want to see live-action Transformers with an aesthetic similar to EJ Su's IDW designs, but through the Hollywood detail-ifyer of course.

Just look at Sideswipe on this page: Spotlight Sideswipe-03 by ~EJ-Su on deviantART

Nightbeat: Nightbeat by ~EJ-Su on deviantART

And Hot Rod: Transformers Hotrod Earth Mode by ~EJ-Su on deviantART

Some quick positives:

-They'd look like, y'know, Transformers.
    -They'd blatantly look like who they're supposed to be.
    -The alien warriors would actually have armor over their vulnerable, 10-billion piece endoskeleton.
    -Audience nostalgia factor x10. Nostalgia=$$$$
    -The transformations would actually be realistic and could have accurate toys made. They fictionally wouldn't be 100% replicas of their disguise underneath the exterior, but does anyone really care?

5. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I never understood really why people always ask why the movies can't look like (insert other generation here). It's because the movies are their own continuity and universe. They aren't G1 or anything else. They're separate. And to me that's what makes it special, being able to differentiate the different shows/movies. Wouldn't you guys rather have all different kinds of aesthetic builds and models? If all the series copied each other it'd get boring. I love the exclusive themes each show and the movies have.

6. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    no, but human and 100% of living creature on earth are born with some kind of protection, for human and animals, its the skin. for insect, its the exoskeleton. for robot, it will be armor plating.

living creature that born without any protection or with minimal protection (like the bayformer), it wont last long in the wild.

7. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    True, but the movies ended up crossing a line all the way back in 2006 where it no longer looks like Transformers. It should be an unspoken rule in Hollywood that you don't throw out the basic qualities of the franchise you're reinterpreting. Marvel has been keeping about a 50/50 balance of old and new in their movies, while I can barely see 10% of basic Transformers in Bayformers. That's why people including myself call the movies Bayformers: There's more Bay than Transformers in them.

8. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    I respectfully disagree. I think it is very apparent that these are Transformers. The movies are their own interpretation of the brand. Just like G1, Prime, Beast Wars, Armada and so on. Saying they don't look like Transformers is subjective, honestly. What is the fine line criteria that qualifies something as Transformer? Transformers in their simplest from a robots (usually humanoid) that transform into various things. What basic qualities have been thrown out on your unbiased opinion? I'd recommend taking of your G1 glasses if you honestly see less than 10% of Transformers when you see the movies. But that's just me. To each their own I guess.

9. EpicTransformer

EpicTransformer The Quiet One...

News Credits:
    I agree with this whole thing. I like each generation for different reasons and I'm glad we get new stuff and not just reruns and I'm not dissing G1 or any other generation because I like them all but I'm not too fond of "Ape Prime" but hey it was something new. I may be a rare breed but I like the Movie designs. It gives me that "alien" feel and that is a good thing (for me) I also like the Prime designs

10. Hot Shot.

News Credits:
    Quick question: Did you get interested in Transformers before or after the first movie? Because it's easy to say "Oh, they look like Transformers" when you've been exposed to the movie designs more than any other series of the brand.

I think that's too broad of criteria. If you said the criteria for Iron Man was "A guy in red and gold armor", he could be a red and gold Guyver. Pre-Bayformers Transformers pretty much had a single aesthetic with minor variation, so I put forth that transformers should generally have:

-Humanoid, faceplated, or lensed faces with the occasional exception based on character or theme.
    -An encased armor or "solid" appearance to their bodies.

That criteria applies to all Transformers series before the movies and has applied to everything since.

I refrain from seriously posting in the movie forum for a few months and get called a geewunner hours after breaking that streak. Lovely.

FYI I grew up with the Unicron Trilogy.

11. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    I was born in 1990. So my era was Beast Wars. And I've watched everything up until now. I think Transformers are very broad. Hence the multiple limitless designs. I didn't call you a geewunner. What I was getting at that is that I think you have a biased opinion towards the movies. Calling them out specifically for deviating from your personal outlook of what a Transformer should look like is a little odd considering the multiple variations of designs that are out there. I'll give you that the movies have definitely taken the look of Transformers to a whole new level, but that doesn't discredit the brand at all. I'm a firm believer in change. We can't have the same designs and look over and over again. Ten years from now who knows what someone's vision of Transformers will be like. That's the beauty of the brand. They Transform with time. :) 

12. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

*yawn* go on.

13. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    My bro.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

People like the familiar in movies so that's why studios go out of their way to make sure that superheroes look like their iconic versions of the character instead of going of in some new odd direction. When they need to make every dime they can out of film they no longer feel like they can afford to alienate some potential ticket buyers.

Sure back when he was alive you could have gotten someone like Michael Clarke Duncan to play a different take on Wolverine since you could say not being short, white, and hairy is a new direction for the character. But instead they put the crazy hair style on Hugh Jackman because that's the sort of thing that would attract those nostalgia dollars.

It just doesn't seem all that unrealistic that if Hollywood can offer me Superman that I recognize as Superman even if it's the new 52 look then a Starscream where I can say cool it's Starscream instead of who is it seems like something they could do as well. Take the Batman designs for the movies. there has been a lot of room for creativity while still keeping sort of an overall iconic look so having familiar looking Transformers wouldn't kill creativity for the live action movies.

15. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Bit rude.

Anyways, I don't think the design negates bayformers films. From a design point of view. I just see it as, Bay did his version of transformers and made them more organic and real as they can be. I don't think every transformers series has to be block, I mean look at prime...I'd be scared to go near them with all their edgy points.

16. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

The "too blocky" argument was a cop-out from the start.

17. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    Comparing Wolverine and Superman to Transformers is a bit of a stretch. As I've said multiple times, we have had MULTIPLE variations of the Transformers brand. The movies are just another version. And based off the financial success I think it's very apparent what people view a Transformers as. Not liking the movies I can understand. I get it. But claiming they don't look like Transformers or wanting them to look different it just your personal view. Done with this topic, though. Tried being done since 2007..

18. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Yes, cos it was a fucking lie in the first place.

Some genius sold a bunch of crappy techno-organic designs to Bay/Speils and I'm just surprised they didn't use "cos I said so dammit" as the reason the Movie TFs look as dreary and impractical as they do....it would at least have been honest.

The PacRim mechs are a mash-up of design ideas have have plenty of "Bay" in bits of them but having little to no emotional investment in them as characters seems to make that less of an issue. They are piloted-mecha so they can be big, blank and BLOCKY and still have plenty of little exposed panels and joint details because of their size. What they haven't taken from Bay is the twisted fragility or the stupid number of spikes and bumps that would make any machine "in the real world" injure itself just by moving.

Rant rant rant.

19. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    Look out, guys. We got a Cybertronian Anatomist over here!

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Just like how we hurt ourselves all the time due to how many parts are moving at any point in our body?