Do Pacific Rim mech designs negate the "old Transformer designs too blocky" argument?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

You also need to take in the fact that the jaegers are human made fighting machines that are considerably larger than the largest TF we have seen so far in the 3 movies. I'm not sure where I first saw it, but there is a size chart floating around comparing the size of the jaeger Gypsy Danger to Megatron from the live action movies, latest versions of Godzilla, King Kong and Cloverfield monster and Megatron stands around the height of Gypsy Danger's ankle (if I remember correctly).

Also the jaegers being much more simplistic with their armor design makes them easier and faster to repair and maintain after battles. They are made to be used in brute force, full frontal fighting with enough parts to allow them to have great power, move freely and relatively smoothly, while still being simply designed enough to make maintenance and repairs as fast and straight forward as possible to get them ready to go again with another battle.

All that makes them look really human made, like engineers and scientists could come together to make them, where as the TF's look really alien and impossible to make given our current tech.

2. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:

[​IMG]

3. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    no, they just like to walk around with thier muscle showing, instead of protected by... oh i dont know, armor plating? if bayformer go fight those monster in PR, they'll wish they have more skin...

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, you're cute. Now run along.

5. ropey wyla

ropey wyla Active Member

Bay's 'transformer' designs are a joke and an insult as are all of his abysmal movies. To me G1 is all there is and anything else is a cheap imitation including your Beast Wars your Energon and all these pale imitations of the real thing.

6. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well thankfully, while G1 may be all there is to you, the rest of us will happily all the various different continuity and universes that inhabit the TF lore.

7. EpicTransformer

EpicTransformer The Quiet One...

News Credits:
    :thumb  :thumbs2: 

8. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

I"m with you guys we should make a faction called the enjoyabots and the haters are the hatercons.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. They can still be complex, especially in transformation, but with a bit more armour in robot mode to solidify them. There's nothing to stop the armour splitting and relocking as they move - if they're capable of controlling all those small moving parts of their bodies already then having any bit of armour that might get in the way of a pose during a fight just naturally move out of the way and then back again would be a piece of piss for them.
    There's certainly been a degree of evolution over the last few movies and I really hope it continues through TF4 and beyond and will maybe get to a point that we're at least somewhere nearer to what I would like to see. Doesn't have to be 'Geewun blocky' as I'm sure some will claim anyone that wants a bit more armour must be demanding when they would like something different to BayFormers designs.

Or maybe we could call the factions the 'Makeupstupidnamestodividepeopleabots' and 'Differingopinionsacons'.
    Or we could be more mature and just not do any of that.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

In what world is Crimson Typhoon blocky?

11. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

...... why you ruin the fun man?

12. Securis

Securis Arcee Fanboy

That's putting it mildly. Admittedly I was using hyperbole, but here's the main thing: I was able to stay awake during RotF. Pacific Rim literally had me nodding off.

Most people use ridiculous hyperbole when talking about Bay's movies, and get all up in arms when it gets used on something they hold dear. *shrugs*

Just my humble opinion chief. No reason to get personal.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

14. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Pacific Rim's Jaegars were human-built battering rams that were designed to be big and strong, and not much else.

Transformers, on the other hand, are supposedly a mechanical alien race whose bodies are comprised of millions of moving parts that can shift around and reconfigure, to make them turn into various things.

That being said, I do agree that they could be made to look with less parts hanging about. Perhaps that's what the 'redesign' is all about. But to make them look totally flush like the Jaegars, wouldn't be appropriate in my taste. Somewhere in between, with more flush surfaces but still some moving parts, would be a good compromise.

Anyhow, I do love the movie designs, for I personally feel they nicely portray how a possible alien life form, could look like. While I'm almost certain there are no Transformers out there, the current aesthetic makes me feel that should they ever exist, this is how they might look like.

Most robot-like characters in the movies, from Robocop to C3P-O, Gort, the Terminators, and even Iron Man, have always been portrayed to have sleek, shiny and flush exteriors, perhaps limited by the technology of the time. It has since become a norm.

Which makes the Transformers stand out, and more believable (once again, in my view), as a possible alien race. And somehow, to have some many parts moving around in each transformation, adds to enchantment and wonder of the viewers (though you could argue that the novelty has worn off by now). Perhaps that was what the producers wanted to accomplish in the beginning.

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except we have characters like Devastator who looked incredibly blocky and Shockwave - who was the slowest robot ever - moving barely any steps.

16. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Short answer: No.

Pacific Rim's robots were man-made, and do not transform. Bay's Transformers are techno-organic sentient beings, who evolved naturally, as we humans did, and who transform on a molecular level.

Humans don't come out of the womb wearing chain mail and helmets, and on a general basis, we don't walk around wearing it all of the time either. So, why would they walk around with armor constantly on? People forget, yes, they're robots, but they weren't built, they were born.

[​IMG]

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Or in any way not supporting movie-style designs.

The most agile onscreen Jaeger, and it's the lens-headed, three-armed, digitigrade-legged one.

Every other Jaeger moved like they were wading through cold molasses, but Crimson Typhoon flipped over and suplexed a motherfuggin dragon.

18. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

To all those pointing out that the Jaegers were man-made, I'd like to point this out. Is protection of innards (muscles and organs, gears and wires) a man-made stylistic choice? No. It's logical to have a protective covering. and thusly, I believe that the Michael Bay Transformers are evolutionarily ******ed.

Hear me out.

That's why the Decepticons are snarling monsters and why some of them look like animals. The reason Optimus is a brutal killer? He doesn't know any better, he's just a cave man! It also explains why he swings his sword like a bat. The reason all of them suck with guns? It's too complex for them! It's why some of them have like three fingers but are still completely humanoid! They're deformed!

Okay, now I understand Bayverse. Michael Bay went this root so that he can relate to the Transformers as he is, in fact, half monkey. That's why Optimus has lips. Because Michael Bay's favorite Transformer is Optimus Primal.

However, for a film not intentionally going in that direction, The Pacific Rim with Don Figueroa faces is best.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I never felt like the too blocky argument held much water.

First you have to discount the ability of creative people in Hollywood. Saying G1 couldn't work in live action is a bit like saying you can't have a Spiderman movie because Peter Parker is swinging around the city in his pajamas. But time and time again we've seen Hollywood translate a cartoon or comic book look in to live action.

There was the argument that they couldn't be complex and transform yet Tony Stark has a suit that transforms from a brief case into armor that still looks like Iron Man.

There was the argument that the designs had to be insanely complex because they weren't going to "cheat" in the transformations, then no "cheating" got busted as myth.

There was the alien argument, yet beyond the early stage where Spielberg wanted them to be more alien the Transformers really haven't been that alien. They speak our language, they have emotions like us, their plot is like so many human plots, and just all around attempts at making them something people could relate to instead something alien you can't comprehend.

There was the argument that armored couldn't produce cool fights, yet the Jaegers from Pacific Rim produced some really cool fights.

With all the armored, cool, and complex designs out there in films it's kind of hard to argue that armored and cool fighting machine can't be done. If anything it kind of seems like if the Transformers were better armored they could not only pull off the cool stuff we are paying to see but that it could reduce the cost so we could get more of the robot action we wanted.

20. mirageandjazz11

mirageandjazz11 Banned

........ one thing

[​IMG]