Do my reviews suck? please help!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NathimusPrime, Mar 15, 2013.

1. NathimusPrime

NathimusPrime Well-Known Member

Ive been reviewing transformers on amazon, but all of my reviews have low ratings or arent considered helpful at all. but i was wondering if i just suck at them or if fanboys just dont want lower then five stars on there toys?

anyway here they are

FOC grimlock ****-

"This grimlock toy is the best one outside of masterpiece. His robot mode is fantastic. He looks cool, he has a great color scheme, his head sculpt looks great, and his sword and shield look great together. my only complaint is the lack of waist swivel, which is becoming a trend with transformers lately. The transformation is simple, so a child should be able to do it, although so far i have yet to be able to do it without his left dino arm coming off. The dino mode suffers a bit. It has very little poseability, an uncovered hallow chest, and a really fat tail. But the light up mouth looks really good.
    Overall its a great toy with a (sadly) lackluster dino mode, and i would reccomend it to collectors and parents.

add a star if you dont care about dino mode."

foc starscream ****-

"This toy is great. The transformation is simple. The colors are nice, and the robot mode looks great. His weapons are cool, and can either be two gatling guns, or one double gatling gun. My only complaints are that he doesnt have any real feet, just two little pegs, and he's a little small,, but you wont notice after a while. Be you a collector, or a parent, i would have no trouble reccomending it."

TFP Ultra Magnus ****-

"This is a good toy, but it may break easy if a child is playing with it. There is some cheap plastic and small parts, but your child will still love it.
    The visual design is very appealing, he as a great color scheme, good use of translucent plastic, and a cool robot mode.
    Speaking of robot mode, the toy has a very decent mold, but it definately could have been better. I am not a fan of backpacks on transformers, but this toy admittedly has on of the less annoying ones. There is no waist swivel, so posing is hard. The head has a weird area of motion, you'll see what i mean.
    His weapons are great. The mechtech gun looks good, it has very powerful feel to it. Flip a few pieces and it turns into a hammer, which actually locks into place! The hammer looks good but the light stays on when its locked, so if you wanna pose him like that on a shelf, you'll have no choice but to let it die. his other gun fits in a number of places, on either shoulder, the side of his arms, or in his hands. It looks like a red missal and is a shout out to the original ultra magnus.
    The transformation is pretty simple and a child should be able to figure out eventually, with some help of course.
    The vehicle mode is very simple and unempressive, im not even sure what its supposed to be. You can put the weqapons on in a number of different ways, but the main way is on the back and resmebles some kind of tow or crane. But overall this guy should be kept in robot mode.
    by now you probably think you know why i gave it four stars, but you dont. These other flaws can be overlooked because, this is a kids toy. The real reason i knocked off a star is simple, CHEAP PLASTIC. I really thought we were done with stuff like this, as soon as you take it out of the box you can feel the lightness in the plastic. A bright light shines through it easily, very thin in some places. It gives the entire toy a cheap, almost knockoff feeling. I believe a rowdy child would have no trouble breaking this.
    But an overall good toy, especially if your a collector."

Dotm amazon exclusive Jetwing optimus prime. *****

"I cannot stress this fact enough, this is not a kids toy.
    But it is very good. It uses the same body as leader class revenge of the fallen optimus prime, but with some minor remolds. He has the dark of the moon abdomen piece. He also has the previously asian exclusive gas tank gun. He does not have his ROTF swords, but ive heard they hinder the original toy when retracted. The robot mode leaves very little to be desired and the jetwings look great, even better then the original japanese release. They even have little stabilizers to put on optimus's feet that make him stand up better. Both robot mode and vehicle mold look great, But there's a chance you wont even make it to vehicle mode, for two reasons. One, the robot mode looks so good you'll have no interest in ever transforming it. Two, because this is one of the most complex transformers in the history of the toy line.
    Overall it looks great, it poses great, and its well priced. Its almost the same price as the original now, but this is so much better that it is the one to buy!"

I dont think theres anything wrong with them. Grammers not my strong suit, but i dont think thats the first thing people look at with these reviews.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I'm going to be blunt, these read more like youtube comments than an actual review of the toys. Too much bias, not enough neutrality. Rather than a straight offerring of the toy's pros and cons, you take it a step too far with your "suggestions" that many of these pieces should be collectors pieces rather and that they shouldn't be what they actually are, toys for kids. You are stressing this "not for kids" point a little too much.

Seriously, you wrote "add a star if you dont care about dino mode."? I'm of the opinion that FoC Grimlock's dino mode is flawed, but not that bad. Certainly not to the point where I'd add an extra star. To be frank, a phrase like that makes you come across as being condescending.

3. NathimusPrime

ouch, that hurt, but honesty is appreciated, allthough the toy not for kids thing was only reffering the the jetwing optimus prime. I think the fact that it is a hundred dollar online exclusive kind of makes it safe to say not for kids. I also tried to write them straight and to the point, being amazon theres going to be a pool of reviews to swim though, so theres no point in being that professional. could you eleborate on the biased thing.

Oh, i brought up the fanboy thing becuase if you look at grimlocks page, theres no a single grimlock review less then five stars with a posotive rating.

4. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the figure is still essential ROTF OP (Leader class) that did see a mass release at $40. So, adding some wings and making it an exclusive doesn't make it any less of a toy than it was previously.

5. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    honestly I wouldn't even read them. they are big paragraph walls and when I'm looking at amazon reviews I like short and sweet. for example my grimlock would have been:

Organized short reviews like that I tend to pay attention to. The brick walls I pass up every time because they tend to be very opinionated.

6. NathimusPrime

point taken, but there was a reason ultimate optimus prime was dumbed down. but im still pretty sure that this peticular release was not for kids. and i seen alot of reviews from parents on other toys about them not being able to transform them, so it was mostly to bring up that point.

7. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    There's never a point where it pays not to be professional. I'd say that's your problem right there.

Reviews are supposed to be objective. Your opinion does come into play, but the facts sell (or don't Dell) the toy themselves.

In your jetwing review, you basically told people it's likely they will give up trying to transform him. Your reviews shouldn't assume things about your audience.

"you think you know why I took off a star but you don't"...

Seriously?

No offense. I didn't like these reviews. You say grammar isn't your strong suit. Maybe written reviews aren't your forte either. Again, not trying to offend you.

8. NathimusPrime

i try not to be to opinianated, but isnt the point of amazon reviews to be a collection of peoples opinians on the product.

9. NathimusPrime

i guess that came off wrong, i was just going for colorful

10. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:

My English teacher gave us report assignments. We could hand them in early, for a review. He's tell us what he wanted out of it to make the grade better. If we defended ourselves, her immediately said, "okay, you're right." And gave us whatever lackluster grade we deserved. You asked us what was wrong. We're telling you. But by all means defend your review. Clearly you speak from successful review writing experience.

okay, you're right.

11. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I don't read reviews unless there is a pictorial explanation. I usually watch videos. If I am on the fence, then I look for facts. I'm not on a quest to know whether some guy I don't know from the two cats fucking outside on my lawn thinks it's cool.

So what is your target audience? Moms and Grandparents shopping on Amazon.com? Children who will never read it? Or people here who have better ways to find out what they want to know about a toy?

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It is, but that doesn't mean people will also take the opinion of every reviewer out there. Do you know how many people out there put out "It sucks!" or "It's totally awesome!". Not exactly the most helpful reviews. Most people will take them into consideration if the review is detailed and well written and/or if it's made by a reviewer with a good reputation

In your case, and not being rude, unfortunately, the poor grammar and spelling would instantly lower your credibility with people.

13. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm..had a feeling it was gonna go this way.

Continue to write reviews if you enjoy it. BUT it seems like you're more concerned whether people like your reviews. If you are worrying whether everyone likes your review...you're in for a world of butt hurt.

14. NathimusPrime

i was just telling people the thought process behind them, im taking all of these points to heart. There all good, and i appreiciate any feedback, good or bad. But tell me this, if you spent a hundred dollars for a toy for your kid, he couldnt transform it and refused to play with it. wouldn't you be a little upset. Its the only point i would argue out of all the ones made.

15. NathimusPrime

it was actually the grimlock thing i mentioned earlier that sparked this. any review that didnt give him 5 stars had negative feedback no matter what is said.

I think im going to go with the pros and cons thing someone suggested, im also going spell check them.

16. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kid's discard all of their toys for the nest best thing. Personally, I wouldn't buy a kid a $100 toy because of that very reason depending on their age. If they're too young, they either forget about it or break it, or if they're too old they just don't care (unless they WANT to collect them).

Besides, if you are a parent, and you buy the toy for your kid, and your kid has trouble transforming it, wouldn't that be the perfect opportunity to guide them through the process...you know..parenting?

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It was for kids.

Every main line Transformer is for kids. Anything with "Dark of the Moon" on it is for kids. Thats who Hasbro makes the toys for.

Also... yeah, your reviews are pretty terrible.

18. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Well, this escalated quickly.

19. NathimusPrime

Do you completely reject the idea that they could be made for collectors with kids in mind?

Everyone else on here brought a productive comment that actually helped me, and I'm thankful for that, Thank you all for your help and answering honestly. It may not seem like it, but i do appreciate your criticism.

20. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    For non-Transformers stuff, I look at reviews for electronic stuff for my kid to see if shit broke. Now what I think about it's waist swivel.

Absolutely.

Why would a giant corporation, who is only concerned about making a ton of money, make something for <teeeeeny tiny market share> with <GIGANTIC MAJORITY OF THE MARKET SHARE> merely 'in mind'?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013