Do Alternators still sell well on the secondary market?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by gbm, Sep 27, 2016.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I have a few custom Alternators that I don't think I'll want to part with ....but a few of the others I think I'd like to find a new home for.

Before I go through the trouble of taking pictures of all of them and making a BST thread, I thought I'd inquire:

Has anyone has success selling their Alts lately?

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Not from my experience

3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alas no... They were great at the time if a bit fiddly, but MP came along....

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    MP has taken their lunch and kicked their afts.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    which funny/sad, because in general i find their qualities much more desirable then the modern MP
    (rubber tires, full interiors, 1:24 scale, not obsessed with cartoon accuracy)

6. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I always preferred their Binaltech counterparts. In addition to everything you said, they also had all that die-cast metal that we will most likely never see again. In that respect, they are actually much closer to the original G1 toys in terms of looks and quality than the current Masterpiece Transformers are.

7. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Except for when they put Wheeljack's head on Jazz's body. ...and they're not even Headmasters! (Yes, I do have one of these.)
    [​IMG]

8. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

Alternators and MP01 are what got me back into Transformers collecting. CHUGs has kept me back though. I had a nice set of about 20 alternators at one point but sold them in one lot on eBay back around 2007 I think. Made $1400 off the sale and I was thrilled because back then finances were not so good(was putting the wife through grad school then). Nowadays I would be lucky to get 1/4 of that in the secondary market. It's a shame too because they had the best alt modes of any generation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    oh, me too, I have basically every BT, BT* and >>>shudder<<< Kiss Players Hot Rodimus + all the unique Alts except the last exclusive Walmart ones. Favorite line ever.

10. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Ditto.

A few of the more rare ones still sell, but as a whole the line is dead and there is hardly any interest.

11. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    They sell for TOO MUCH in the second hand market imo.

Ebay prices are horrible. I can't speak for other places.

12. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I'm pretty glad that I sold most of my Alternators when I did. As great as they were for their time, the molds have not aged well and had transformations that almost required they get get scuffed, bent or scratched in the process. I am more than a little OCD, so this was a frustration for me as I really like to transform my figures a lot. While I had Alternators, I truly feel for anyone who had Binaltechs and transformed them more than once or twice. I still have Decepticharge and Grimlock, but they fit almost nowhere in my collection so they're sitting in storage at the moment. Still, their realistic alt-mode designs helped revolutionize the modern Transformers designs that we have now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I like altanators in alt mode, when i want to show off an amazing alt mode that can turn into a robot there my god to infact tracks in my example almost all the time.

if theres one altanator i think every fan should have is ravage from the tracks mold

14. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still love quite a few of them (especially the BT options when available). Mirage is still in the running for one of my all time favorite transformers.

Mirage, KP Rodimus, KP Convoy, Smokescreen, Ravage (Jaguar), Nemesis Prime and Shockwave are still on display pretty reliably. To a certain degree they sometimes end up mixed with my HA (and HA sized oversize KO's). Wheeljack and Skids also get displayed as space permits (they were up last place we lived, but not presently).

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    In places like Madarake in Japan, Binaltech and Alternators don't really go for high prices. I sold a few of my "GT" ones (Sunstreaker with a race queen figure) to a second hand collectors' shop and got bugger-all for them. I am going to sell most of my other ones because:

- They don't fit with Mp or CHUG )only movieverse ones with the little humans thta went with them).

- They have some of the most over-complicated, terribly engineered transformations known to man and beast. I STILL can't transfom Grimlock's arms back into car mode.

- Many were lazy repaints, or did not have authentic G1 colours/paint (like Wheeljack).

- KISS PLAYERS (which damaged the line's credibility almost overnight).

- Not that posable (compared to modern MPs and CHUG)

I am soon going to sell them to the second hand shop and probably make around 50 dollars for a box-load. That's how much they are worth in Japan.