Do added Reprolables lower the value?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by necrocron9, Sep 5, 2011.

1. necrocron9

necrocron9 Well-Known Member

At some point I will sell my classic figures. But right now I like the the look they have with some add stickers. Will I have trouble selling them later for top price?

2. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMHO, the added stickers add a lot in terms of play value and displayability.

If you want to make money, don't invest in toys.

3. necrocron9

necrocron9 Well-Known Member

I bought a Henkei Prowl and the Reprolables for him. I was going to put them on, but I stopped and thought. This was an expensesive toy and I might want to get close to what I paid for it, whenever that is. By that time I hope there still is a demand for these toys. As of right now, I'm very attached and not looking to make money. But that I think is bound to change eventually. I think I should have named this thread "Would you put stickers on a Henkei toy?"

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    your never gonna get back what you spent on your toys...unless you bought a fort max when you were a kid and never opened him, dolly up the toy however you'd like.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This. Todays toy even henkei's aren't likely to accrue great value like the toys of years past for 1 reasons:

1. People actually collect them now and many more are being preserved in excellent/mint to MISB. The rarity needed to help drive prices upward just won't be as great as it is for some of the most valuable g1 figures.

2. The mainline retail versions of the various Transformers lines are now produced in such large numbers as to saturate the secondary markets and that holds prices down.

I am not saying some figures aren't going to become more valuable just that they aren't likely to ever reach G1 price levels. This of course doesn't include oneoff stuff like Lucky drawsas they are a different animal altogether.

6. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

^ This.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Don't worry about the resale value.

For me the use of repro labels was only a turn off when shopping for G1 vintage stuff. Since most TFs don't come with sticker sheets now a days, I see the use of Repr labels as a benefit, esp when it comes to figures like RTS Jazz, where the figure really really needs them.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't think it'll matter too much, it might increase the value a little actually, i'd rather pay more for a united jazz with reprolabels than without, he needs his martini logos

9. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    This isn't personal and i don't want to offend anyone but I hate it when people downplay the value of toys. Telling people not to worry about value etc. Seriously, toys do and will carry values whether people like it or not.

So these toys don't have value? Tell that to a new collector who wants to start collecting and complete a classics collection. Thanks for misleading them into thinking there is no value. Just because a toy is worth $70 instead of $400 doesn't mean it's worthless.

I buy my TF's with the intent of keeping them for good. However, I'm not a fool and I realize that these toys will carry some value if the need ever arises that I need to sell them.

If you're going to tell people not to invest in toys they may as well not invest in stocks either. Some win the game some lose. It doesn't matter where you invest.

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much what everyone is saying. MISB (or MAYBE MIB) is the only way any of these things ever appreciate enough to really be a great payoff later.

And even MISB- only some toys really appreciate in value, and you really can't know which they'll be.

I've got a few old toys I could probably sell for more than I paid for them, but if I make an extra $10-30, what have I bought? A new transformer or a couple trips to McDonalds. I've kept these things for 20 years because I liked them. They'd have to go for waaaay more than that before I'd be even remotely tempted to sell.

I think my original Optimus Prime and Grimlock are the only toys that have appreciated enough to even look twice at selling, and they still don't go for anywhere near enough to make me want to part with them.

Toys aren't a good investment (generally). Just do what ever makes you happy.

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Go ahead an put them on I say. You can always take them off. The thing with Transformers is that they are constantly improving characters with better toys. If they decide to make a better Prowl your figure will plummet in value.

12. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

When Reprolabels came out, the purist wouldnt touch them. Years later, I think people just dont care if its reprolabels or not, and to be honest it doesnt matter when it comes to the stickers. I still would not buy figures with repro parts, but some people would.

13. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

ive always wondered this myself not about the reprolabels but the addons that require removing a head or attaching a piece here and there. if you lose the original head or weapon that will surely damage the value i would think.

14. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    If you'll resell him, don't. Possibly include the stickers as a 'bonus'. If your keeping him for the foreseeable future, put them on.

15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of collecting and down the road reselling for collections... an item appreciates in value the more it is preserved in its original factory condition. Usually this means keep them MISB.

If reproduction labels are in fact meant to restore original designs on a figure... then are used for restorations, well they can possibly restore some value... Granted, this will still be less than say, an open figure with box and original (unapplied) stickers... even more so a figure that is MISB. NOTHING beats MISB for the most part.

Just take note that the value appreciation will pale in comparison to true G1 vintage no matter what.