DNA DK49 Upgrade Kit for ROTB SS Battletrap, Nightbird & Scourge

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MrJoshimusPrime, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was frustrated with it, so I looked at the DNA instructions and they just suggest bending the rubber grill at the best step to rotate the rib around, so I've been doing that. He's such a cool figure I've probably transformed him 10 or more times since installing the first DNA kit. I don't think the grill is any looser or the pins holding the ribs on are any more worn.

I have actually transformed him a couple times already since installing the DK49 back pieces. The front orange plastic part of the grill doesn't quite click into place, but the truck side panels all tab in properly without bulging (using both DNA Hand arms) and the truck hood parts all align properly. The loose grill connection is an easy fix.

I would understand if Hasbro did a Commander upgrade to the leader mold, if they don't just do a fully new figure later. I bought the base Leader figure and even though he was inaccurate, he was a great figure. After the first DNA kit he gained great shelf presence, and the second kit does make the shoulder transformation more finicky but I like the look

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Oh boy, bending rubber. I always worry about its long-term lifespan. I'm considering swapping the rib piece out for Machine Capsule's; It's less accurate but I think it'll give me less grey hairs.

Yeah, difficulty transforming aside, I like the kits. I wouldn't sneeze at Hasbro having another go at the character, but I won't hold my breath.

3. Obnimaz

News Credits:
    One of the reasons I keep the full rib mod on, is the way it's made, the rib's only stress themselves, if the pin breaks or the part the pin attaches to breaks, I can just remove the other side and clean up the breaks and go without the rib parts. So far, they haven't actually worn down like I thought they would.

Scourge's Ribs > Nightbird's long stabby things in car mode

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

I don't have Nightbird, so I'll gladly take your word for it.

5. Obnimaz

News Credits:
    At this point I've transformed him around 10 times and brought him back and forth to work in my satchel twice with both full DNA kits CA glued on.

He looks amazing, so much personality.

Some notes brought to you by 400mg of Energon Gummies:
    - The mask on mine was always loose so I made the choice to glue it in place to it wouldn't get lost.
    - I glued all the armor from the first kit on with CA gel glue. Buttplate, both thigh pieces, shin pieces. Nothing's ever come loose and he's fully transformable without added hassle with these changes.
    - I did the full ribcage mod. This involves screws and replacement parts. It is reversable. It does make the transformation more finicky and may stress the clear orange chest piece and the rubber chest/grill piece over time.
    - I did the full DK49 shoulder mod, including gluing the back parts/truck hood in place. Mine had flash on the insides of the slots that had to be cleaned out, and I shortened the pegs on Scourge himself slightly, and glued them in place. This isn't reversable. I did try just carving out the DNA parts over and over, but could never get a tight fit, or I might not have glued them. However, I did like them so much in the dry runs that's what inspired me to glue them in place. This does make him even more finicky, and possibly more fragile.

When turning him into a truck, be sure the screws for the chest and the 4 screws for the shoulders are properly tight. If one is loose it can make the whole truck hood not click.
    I did the full shoulder mods, so I make sure the arm does it's full 90 degree bend and click the shoulder pad all the way down. When you are aligning the hood pieces be sure the shoulder columns are aligned right.
    I think there's like 5 possible arms for him, and some alignments are different. Be sure the thin part of the wrist is lining up with the post holding up the roof, You want the thinnest part of the arm facing outside, and the thinnest part of the hands facing outside.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Does anyone not need the Scourge arm from this kit and want to trade it for money? Its the only piece I plan to use. If not I guess I will buy the set and offer up the other pieces here.

7. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

Is there any trick to the shoulder-sliders? I can't get the f***ers to move up at all...

8. Obnimaz

News Credits:
    The extra joint in the shoulder needs to be slightly bent instead of fully straight or fully bent and then the sliders seem to move up and down easier. It’s weird

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

Cheers! That did the trick!

• Like Like x 1
  10. ldl0021

ldl0021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Added “rust” highlights like he had in the movie IMG_1712.jpeg

11. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Does anyone want the rest of my set? I bought it for the left arm with hand and have no use for the rest of the parts so they are still in the box untouched. $20 shipped anywhere in the US.