DNA Design DS-01 Susanoo (MP Bludgeon)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 16, 2016.

1. JBSpino

JBSpino Not-So-Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I actually just recently got the weathered Susanoo in hand. It looks cool, and it's my first 3P figure.

BUT

My copy of the figure has a few issues. The first, the slider for the chest is scary tight. I plan to go in and sand it down a little, because my God is it horrifying. It feels like the lower leg armor was molded oddly, as the peg sits too high for the hole, although I may just not be looking at it right. The slots for the hands to hold the weapon are also too small, and it was a frightening thing trying to pull out the big sword (although I found that he can hold it just find without the assist, so yay. not sure about the other weapons, though).

All of those would be tolerable for me, but unfortunately, my copy has two right thigh pieces. I really hope this is just an unlucky draw, and I've already emailed TFSource if I can get a replacement. Otherwise, seems solid enough, even if there's a lot of moving... stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll wait for someone else to do this character.

3. Sonofadefro

Sonofadefro Don't waste food. I'll keel you

I believe the mold has not changed (i dont have the new susanoo, but i have arashi), so the calf armour should transform just like it used to, unless theres an assembly error. Try pushing it a bit more untill the peg works its way in. The hand slot has been an ongoing issue and the fact that they havent fixed it seems lazy on their part. But sanding down the weapon peg may help. The shoulder slider is actually on a spring that is really strong. Hence it might feel like its flexing, but the tension is on the spring, so it should have no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prowl83

Prowl83 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this figure as well knowing full well that he would forever stand y'al on my shelf never being transformed. It's a beautiful figure that for me isn't worth the stress of ever being put into tank mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tainogunslinger

Tainogunslinger Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I got mine yesterday. Took at peek at it this morning and damn is it beautiful. I love the job they did with the weathering. I was pleasantly surprised by the extra face as well, as that was only supposed to have been available with the 1st run. It will be a while before I even attempt to transform him, I got him for bot mode anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JBSpino

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was actually talking about the slider for the chest, but not really a problem now since I've since shipped him back for the replacement. I swear to God, if this has the same exact thigh problem, I'm going to be pissed. I would like to transform him, y'know, at least once.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tainogunslinger

Tainogunslinger Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I messed with mine last night for about an hour. He gave me hell (not the easiest bot to pose) but I got him in decent pose. Hopefully I can mess around more this weekend and take proper pics 20190911_234905.jpg 20190911_235032.jpg with several poses. Maybe even put him up against a few other Cybertronian swordsmen(bots?)

• Like Like x 2
  8. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

That does look nice. I don't know why they didn't add in the sandal strap in between his toes that was missing from the first deco. But the weathering doesn't look overdone. It's nice. But I'll keep my original unless I find out that this one is built way better or something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

So any sign of the original run plummeting in price?

10. JBSpino

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Got the replacement. Traded in old problems for new one. Now, it just seems the rubber on the tank tread on the right hip skirt melted to the arm of the joint that puts it into place for the tank mode. I'll try to contact DNA and TFsource again, but I'm just sick of it at this point.

11. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sorry you're having such problems with the figure, but Susanoo is not a figure I would suggest to someone getting their first 3rd party figure.
    He's one of those you get after reaching a certain level of patience and 3rd party purchases. The potential for QC issues or breakage is high with this one.

12. JBSpino

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Do you have any recommendations for a first time buyer of 3P, then?

13. Potchez

Potchez Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hard to say. What characters do you like and in what scale?

I usually check out the thread for the figure I'm interested in. If you can't find posts about problems on your own, ask for any known problems with the mold and what frequency of occurrences.

I followed this figure since the beginning of the thread and I knew going in it had QC and fragility issues. Still got it cuz it looks so good and luckily mine is doing ok. Transformation is not an easy or worry free one.

14. Sonofadefro

Mmc reformatted stuff is pretty durable and simplistic. Save for some exceptions. But do keep in mind, they are not MP scale. Some of my favs include kultur, carnifex and their hot rod. Sure, they are culprits of using remolds and repaints that dont really work, but every now and then, they make something really special.

Dx9 carry is one of my all time favourites. Simple and fun transformation and really well built. But dont pay over $160 for it. Prices are going crazy.

If you dont mind micheal bay verse stuff, UT challenger is insanely intuitive to transform and REALLY well built. Get the reissue version however. The first run has joint issues. UT/dx9 stuff is generally well built and intuitive to transform, but their sculpt is often inferior to the competition. Challenger and Richtofen(powerglide) is a step in the right direction, however.

If you like shockwave, then totally consider cloud9 quakeblast. Price is super reasonable. Lots of die cast and the finish looks superb.
    PlanetX's recent ismenios is an amazing figure. Rarely do you find something that looks so good, so fun to handle and is built like a tank. With an easy transformation.
    Dont forget to check out iron factory. Their legends sized figures are really good too. Positive reviews across the board.

The list is non extensive, and i am sure you could find more. I am just stating a few that really catches my eye. IMO, most of the MMC stuff is built and engineered well, but not "pretty" enough for me. FT dinobots are as good as people say, but i dont care for dinobots. Overall, if you are starting to get into 3P stuff, the first question to ask yourself is: what do i want NOW? MP scale? CHUG scale? What continuity? IDW? G1? Bayverse?
    Second: What is your priority? Build quality? Engineering? Finish? Maybe to fulfill your nostalgia for the characters? And as you mature as a collector, you will find your priorities change. But keep your mind open and be ready to adjust as soon as your priorities and desires change. When it comes down to it, your opinion matters most to yourself. Be receptive to change, but steadfast to your beliefs. Dont let anyone tell you what to buy. Get what you want. If you like it, you win. I hope my advice helped :p 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    I was leery of the original run and skipped it after all the negative feedback. Got this weathered version for $52ish.

It's a fiddly figure due to the tank armature. There are joint and toletance issues, which exist I'm assuming from the original run. Articulating the right leg forward snapped the ratchet housing at some of the connection points, but luckily the screw still holds it in place and it doesn't affect the articulation (so far). Like I said, $52.

I don't really care for the weathered look (may look into removing it in the future) but for under $60 another MP Decepticon is hard to resist.

A pain to pose. But the payoff is worth it. There is tons of personality in this figure. Just need to spend a relatively large investment in time to mess around with the posing and balance.

20190916_134728.jpg

20190916_135013.jpg

20190916_134812.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

$52???

17. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    I don't order 3rd party TFs from the typical retailers, since they have a large markup and some of them have started to comply with the new NYS law of charging sales tax for all online purchases. Accordingly, I've amended where I shop so as to not have to pay that tax.

If I bought Susanoo from BBTS, I'd pay 8.8875% plus the $4 shipping, on top of the actual figure price.

18. finalepiphany

finalepiphany Member

Ebay:
    Where?

19. Sonofadefro

I heard if you went looking on taobao or weibo, you will find chinese retailers and suppliers who dont have said markups in prices. Only downside is, you dont know how reliable these guys are.

20. nhyone

nhyone Well-Known Member

Probably TaoBao. I got DS-02 there for US$43 before shipping. Some sellers are trying to move their stock.