DNA Design DK09 SS Megatron Upgrade

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Mr.Deflok, Jul 24, 2018.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got this set in on Saturday.

Of the two (Megatron and Ironhide), this one is the weaker set. It's shoddy feeling (in spots), too much flash and too many sprue points (jagged, mind you) and the fit and finish is not up to snuff.

It was due in October, according to the front page, and it seems like it was still somehow undercooked, while being late by a good bit.

That said... It does look good in robot mode, both with the normal and weaponized arms and the torso fill of the wing assemblies. (It's like... Hasbro, really? C'mon, they did it... ) and tank mode looks a lot better and filled in more. Also, more film accurate.

Transformation has never been a strong suit of this figure, I've always found it rather annoying to do, what with forcing this and that through this opening (that barely fits) and snapping that over this while holding this here and forcing that there... Meh.

The new gun arm makes it even worse and good grief, that uneven wing thing... Ugh. (Yes, I know it's been addressed by other posters, so I'm not bringing anything new to the table, just angry/venting.)

On the plus side... Removing the gun arm actually makes the transformation easier, even easier than the Hasbro stock configuration. Everything has just enough clearance and locks together nice and tight.

Problem is, that makes him a definite partsformer. So it's back to kind of sucking, for me.

I would say it fixes more than it breaks, it does make the transformation easier (though that's the fault of Hasbro's design, they didn't get tolerances and clearance right...) and it's stupidly easy to install.

Oh, and lest we forget, you end up spending on one figure/one kit, which is actually cheaper than spending on two versions of basically the same figure to get the "kinda" , "sorta" , not really "same" results, (...sort of) plus added features not included in either version of the figure. So, keep some of your money and buy the original figure, don't buy the Target repaint/remold, but get this kit, and you'll save $5.00 but have the best of both worlds.

The splitting seam on the gun arm is infuriating, though. Good grief, the quality is lacking in the execution. Ugh.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FOUREVER

FOUREVER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    • Like Like x 4
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  3. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Nice! The replacement head is a waste - using it would mean swapping out a battle-damaged head for a battle-damaged head that's demonstrably worse - but the rest is exactly what I've been looking for.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

I can't tell what they're upgrading, they should at least put it in gray in the pictures....

5. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Heavy Metal Flamewar

News Credits:
    Sucks this thing is a step up from garbage.

Mines stock head cant even turn. Even after shaving shit down, the neck peg twists with it

6. Engineer 539

Engineer 539 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm very excited for this set, but I was definitely expecting a non-battle damaged head... That would've been a large part of the reason for me to purchase... At this point, I'll at least wait for pics to see how good the paint/plastic match is. A normal head would've made it an instant pre-order.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Looks good except it looks like they used more of a gold instead of a copper on the fingers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's incredibly pointless for them to include it. I'm not sure what purpose it serves at this point. Other than better paint. Good grief.

Not sure if serious...

Basically, it's a repaint of the original kit that fixed issues with the original Megatron, such as wings for the vehicle mode (which is film accurate) but this set is also more or less color matching to the Target exclusive repaint with the damaged head.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

No not serious :)  I was just reflecting on the practice of showing parts in gray given the current figure is gray lol....

10. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

All I can think is that they're going for absolute minimum effort, such that even modifying the mold to not have the extra head at all would be too much like work. If so, I'll be sad, because I was hoping they'd fix some of the issues people reported with the gun arm.

11. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

Even with the added wings, his alt mode doesn’t look screen accurate

12. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

This is great and all!  I have the first DNA Kit and love every minute of it and plan on getting the DNA kit for SS Ironhide as well.

Put this aside, I would like to see DNA do something for SS Brawl!!!  This guy needs BIG and HUGE improvements! 

Knock knock...DNA please create something for SS Brawl!!  You did it with Ironhide you can do it with Brawl!!! 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

Oh god damn it! Of course, why was I surprised, it's so obvious. Obviously I'm gonna buy it now, grumble... grumble.

14. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simiar issue that I had. I used some pliers to push that fat pin down

15. LipSmack

LipSmack Well-Known Member

This set should have had a clean head, no?

16. Highbrow98

Highbrow98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It doesn't.

17. Dillpickle

Dillpickle This looks like cool place to kick it!

News Credits:
    Some new feet with ankle tilts and new arms with proper hands would be awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    finally! but I was hoping for an undamaged head option to balance the counterpart.

ah well, no big worries, I just hope the QC is a little better than the other set had so nothing breaks or splits because of being moved.

19. LipSmack

LipSmack Well-Known Member

Hence "Should have had"....

20. Highbrow98

Highbrow98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry, not my first language :p .