DNA Design DK-46 SS101 ROTB Scourge Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by williammmw, Sep 12, 2023.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    No, I totally get it. It's like, yes, this kit fixes a lot of the problems I had with Scourge, but it's kind of half-assed for the price. It didn't help that I installed this kit just after doing the one for SS-102 Optimus, which is also kind of expensive but was much better executed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I have had the opposite experience. The Optimus kit didn't do much to rekindle my interest in the figure, whereas this kit has brought scourge from a shelf dweller to a figure that's in my regular rotation of figures I mess with and transform.

3. Fatelift1987

Fatelift1987 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    this is EXACTLY how I feel about Prime and Scourge's kits, and I haven't even got any of them in hand yet

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I also felt the Optimus set was very seriously inflated with extras I didn't want. I gave away some swords and axes, it has TWO trailer hitches? I don't even need one! The Noah figure sucks, etc. The only stuff I didn't want with the scourge kit were the weird "China only" clear parts, but they're technically extras.

5. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Noah is a waste of plastic and cost. The 2nd trailer adapter is for parts storage inside the ER trailer.

The current trend is smaller eBay and Aliexpress Chinese sellers first, then Robotkingdom (HK based so no China exclusive extras), then other Asian sellers, .. .. .. months of waiting . . .. . . US sellers. Occasionally toyarena, the chosen prime, and toydojo will quickly import for sale but not consistent.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Transmario

Transmario Well-Known Member

I received mine today and honestly I'm pretty happy with it. It does pretty much everything I wanted it to though it does have some issues. Biggest one to me is it removes the gun storage that made the rear of the truck more accurate. Although I am planning on getting the mc kit just for the shin piece to address that.

Other issue I have with it is the side chest parts that make you have to now force parts past eachother during transformation which is a cardinal sin to me. Although this can be addressed by just keeping this part off and not using the new piece (that's part of the beauty of upgrade kits, you don't have to use everything if you don't want to).

The unmasked head honestly doesn't bother me that much as it did with others. It's sculpted well just not a whole lot of paint. However, this thing will have the mask on 95% of the time anyway so I just see it as an extra feature.

The difference in color. Sorry guys but that was a deliberate choice to make the figure look closer to the gray of the cgi model. Honestly it does a pretty good job at getting it closer to the proper color by getting rid of a lot of that really dark gray of the stock figure.

Overall is it the best kit ever? No. But it's pretty solid and adds features and even gimmicks I wanted the original figure to have in the first place so I'm pretty happy with it and to me, that's all that matters

• Like Like x 1
  7. optimusprimeroc

optimusprimeroc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me the driver's side chest piece kept coming off of the pin so I replaced the pin with a longer one and now it's fine

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Lorenzo

News Credits:
    I just bought this DK 46, with the extra pieces and the original claw arm I made an accurate left arm, also I made the shoulders inspired on the DK 49, also I add new eyes and eyebrow to the head IMG_20240404_132447694_HDR.jpg IMG_20240404_132540714_HDR.jpg IMG_20240404_132610785_HDR.jpg IMG_20240404_132622529_HDR.jpg IMG_20240404_132638835_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  9. ldl0021

ldl0021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  10. TONY BRUNS

TONY BRUNS Member

I just got SS-101 Scourge and am looking for a kit to upgrade the head and his horrible neck.
    I see there are a lot of kits at varying prices, is DK-46 still the best option?
    Thanks for your advices!

11. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Do you only want to upgrade his head and neck, or do you want the other parts too?

12. TONY BRUNS

TONY BRUNS Member

It's true that when I see the shoulders too... In fact I especially want to improve the head and shoulders. Because upgrading everything with multiple kits would be too expensive for a Studio Series figurine.

13. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

If what you want are a new head and new shoulders for Scourge and nothing else then you're in a bit of a pickle, because Scourge's upgrades are split across two kits that will give you a bunch of things you don't care about no matter which way you slice it.

This kit, DK-46, comes with a new head, new arms from the elbows down, so no new shoulders, new ribcage, new butt, thigh and shin fillers. If all you want from that is the new head, I recommend buying one of these from eBay.

The second kit, DK-49, comes with the new shoulders you want and an alternate left arm, but also comes with a bunch of accessories for Battletrap and Nightbird that will be pretty much useless unless you have those two. Unfortunately that kit is the only game in town if you want screen-accurate shoulders that transform, but the same seller I linked for the head sells screen-accurate shoulders that partsform, IE in vehicle mode you take them off and put them in a box somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TONY BRUNS

TONY BRUNS Member

Thanks for your explanations! I find that the shoulders on the e-bay link are too big and I think actually that the best option is to buy both DNA kits (I have Nightbird & Battlerap). In fact, this Scourge is expensive if you want to have a look worthy of the name...

15. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine. I like the new claw arm and the other arm. However, the face mask is too loose and the blade falls off whenever I try to bend the elbow. Would have preferred something with the blade had a peg that plugs into the new arm like SS Dark of the Moon Shockwave.

16. ambarmettatron

ambarmettatron Well-Known Member

Having this problem myself. You're saying a larger pin sticks better? Any suggestions on where to get them?

17. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    One can apply tape to the left mask peg and the top of the T connector of the blade. The China exclusive blade (although useless) has a thick enough T connector annoyingly.

18. optimusprimeroc

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A larger pin allows the rib cage piece to slide further out. I used one from the fuel tank piece on a extra pair of ss08 blackout arms
    The cross pin on rotf leader Optimus prime is also more than long enough
    You will need to cut the pin down
    I cut the pin so the when the RIb piece is slid in for vehicle mode the pin head is almost to the center of the torso
    You might also be able to use a normal 3/32 pin and put super glue on one end to create a head
    This might work
    Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973204297 Single Hole Clevis Pins, 3/16 x 3 x 3/32, Piece-4
    https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastener-014973204297-Piece-4/dp/B00L1J3E6Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.m8t26Z9tuYmobQYH9e6XPg.GbHG3mZgfwm2aOcG-iJJtURn5FZPr-Kkmp8g1xrCJ5E&dib_tag=se&keywords=Hard-to-Find+Fastener+014973204297+Single+Hole+Clevis+Pins,+3/16+x+3+x+3/32,+Piece-4+4&qid=1713713931&sr=8-1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ambarmettatron

ambarmettatron Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was trying to figure out. Will take a crack at this later this week

20. optimusprimeroc

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is the formula for figuring out the pin length
    A-(b-c)+D=
    5/32-(39/64-.5)+43/64=.71875
    A is the width of the top of the rib piece
    B is the length of the original pin plus rib piece
    C is the length of the original pin
    D is the span from the outside of the pin hole to the middle of the torso