DNA Design DK-42 (Legacy Prowl Samurai Upgrade Kit)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Recon734, May 27, 2023.

1. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well got mine today.

Biggest positive: it is really easy to pull out of the box and use, incredibly simple design.

Biggest negative: holy hell the ball joints for the shoulder pads are ridiculously loose. Gonna have to soak them in floor polish.

But the kit does what it sets out to do. Replicate the original Samurai Prowl toy, warts and all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. spark crusher

spark crusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gotta get back
    back to the past
    Samurai Prowl
    BCB13F7A-1C50-4D8A-BC70-6ACDFB2DBECB.jpeg

as much as i love this kit, i did feel the helmet mightve been a bit too big, so decided to take it apart and.....yikes, thats a lot of wasted space! hoping someone can design a better looking one sometime

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  3. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Yeah way too big, it’s why whenever or if Hasbro does a version I hope it’s either a new head and no removable helmet or now seeing this, way smaller. As the helmets always seem to make the head too small with how big they are.

4. spark crusher

spark crusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think a helmet could be done properly if it was just a bit smaller, or even if it just added more flair to the existing head.what really doesnt help with this one is that the height wasnt used right, makeing the shape too flat, and i dont really get all the depth either. i would make one myself, but i suck at designing stuff like that XD

5. RePUGnicon

RePUGnicon A very indecisive individual

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pvp review

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hydro

Hydro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I really like this kit. The helmet is way to big, but i do like that its an actual helmet. Whenever they get around to making Optimus' trailer i hope they do the powermaster design instead of the jet wing version

7. 1BLD

1BLD Well-Known Member

Do you ever get something out of the box, and immediately know that you made a mistake?

Yeah.

8. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Got mine over the weekend, got around to putting it together a day or two ago. It's... fine. Yeah, he's kind of chonky in it, but A.) Legacy Prowl is already thicker than the Animated Deluxe, and B.) the samurai armor on the Animated Deluxe made it pretty chonky, too. Maybe if DNA tried something more original with the design it'd have turned out a bit better, but it's pretty clear that they were copying Hasbro's homework down to the fact that the helmet can stay on the armature when it's on his head. In other words, maybe they could have done more, but they absolutely did what they set out to do.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Just got the DNA upgrade set for Legacy Animated Prowl and I have to say that it really helps to cover some of the flaws of the bike mode, is basically the missing piece the vehicle has been asking for all this time.

[​IMG]

And the robot mode is even better. It makes the relatively small figure look imposing at last. The set is not perfect though since is heavily dependant on the original Samurai Prowl armor and thus, it limits some of the articulation (although not as much as in the original), not to mention that I wish they wouldn't have made the wheel shield/blade in a way in which it only looks natural on the right arm like the original toy due that the spear can only be used in Animated Prowl's right hand (due that the left is made for the shurikens), plus the helmet really needed a visor.

I guess I should comment a bit on Legacy Animated Prowl since I don't think I did before. The figure is flawed and I don't only mean the bike mode but what bothers me the most about it is the transformation which is overly-finicky and needs very specific steps since otherwise, it won't work at all and this only to end with a vehicle mode with visible robot parts. Overall, I think that Legacy Prime Arcee did a better job at creating a solid robot, vehicle and transformation.

That being said, the DNA set definitely makes a "fine" figure look much better and while the kit itself does have flaws, for the price you get a lot. I hope they make sets for both Animated Optimus and Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

I've seen a third party version that's 3d printed on ebay that I think does a better job and isn't as restrictive, but I'm not that interested in turning the figure into a samurai. Thanks for your exhaustive review, though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    To be honest, I dislike the quality of most 3D printed stuff and the finish usually leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pcsolyar

Pcsolyar JaAm Connoisseur

News Credits:
    That kit is most likely garbage. The designer, Tim Heada, doesn't print/paint his kits like other 3d print houses (Go Better, ZX, Juqi, 115 Utopia, etc.). He just designs them and releases the files to a small group. Each seller is having them printed and painted, leading to fit and finish that is typically not worth the purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

Good to know. I've had pretty good luck with many ebay sellers' 3-D printed TF accessories, and I like a lot of the traits of the Prowl samurai kit over the DNA version, but I don't have any affinity for Samurai Prowl, already gave mine a fem-bot head and renamed her "Siren," and don't really feel the need to pick it up. Just thought it might overcome the general negatives the poster was saying about the limited mobility and such.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Got this in hand and oof it’s a mixed bag. I think the issue is it tries to replicate the original toy a little too much (like Legacy Evo Prowl). The issue is the shoulder parts and the helmet is just to big making it awkward to pose. I would have made it more like a weaponizer and utilize the 5mm ports all over prowl especially for the shoulder bits.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Wonder how this thing would look on Legacy Chromia.

• Like Like x 1