DNA DESIGN DK-38 Legacy Menasor Upgrade kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Operative294, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Here’s the one I referred to:
    For Legacy Menasor DNA DK38 Movable Hand 5mm Weapon Grip Connector Upgrade Kit | eBay

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I personally enjoy the missing parts (minus the chest piece). I know I'm in the minority, here, but I love the massive cannon idea with the parts making it happen. That way, there's not a bunch of stuff laying around and he's all integrated at that point.

That said, they can come across as filler to people (and I get it, I do), and if it can save some money...why not?

I do wonder why DNA seems to be burning bridges in China. I mean, exclusivity through Chinese retailers to get extra pieces, but at extra cost, as well as just overall higher prices than what we're getting in the US. I wonder if it has something to do with domestic worker pay costing them more? I mean, if we produced everything we use, here, the cost of everything would go up even worse than it is now. I'd imagine the same thing is going on in China. We can afford to buy this stuff from them, they can't. Not really.

It's a shame DNA is doing that, though. Because lower prices for them, means lower prices for us, and the Chinese shouldn't have to be paying more for this stuff. It's kind of a dick move on DNA's part. This is precisely why KO makers exist, these days.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrZurkon

MrZurkon Well-Known Member

The only thing I would want is the longer trailer hitch

• Like Like x 2
  4. Starling

Starling Well-Known Member

Now with articulated hands, finally can hold the mega canon.

DSC_1039.JPG DSC_1040.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  5. Metrofro

Metrofro Well-Known Member

This set was worth the wait I wish they left off the big gunparts and maybe included a hand adapter for 5mm weapons. In the end I glued shelf liner grip to the handle of the 2nd sword to keep it in his hand. 20230326_135656.jpg

Needed to trim the pegs a big for the right fist to fit properly in trailer mode.
    20230326_081504.jpg 20230326_081546.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So my hip ratchets are very loose once its all installed, the legs just swing back and forth , anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

7. williammmw

williammmw MuderPrimus

News Credits:
    Installed and the result is great. I only wish that it comes with a more toon accurate blaster
    20230311_010305.jpg 20230311_010526.jpg 20230311_012031.jpg 20230311_012632.jpg 20230311_013005.jpg 20230311_013307.jpg 20230311_013654.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. ExiaDefensor

ExiaDefensor Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you either forgot to remove the tiny pieces from the old thighs and install them into the new thighs or you installed them incorrectly.

Take apart the thighs, use tweezers to ensure the little pieces are nice and tight in the new thighs, and then put the new thighs back on. Make sure the screws are tight... Not too tight or striped though.

Just my guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Same.

There are a number of toon-accurate guns out there:
    Shockwave Lab SL-158 Light Blaster Big Gun Weapon Upgrade Kit For Legacy Menasor | eBay

Big Gun Weapon Upgrade Kit For Combiner Wars Defensor Computron Menasor Bruticus | eBay (Technically for CW, but I’d imagine it works for Legacy)

ZX STUDIO Replenish Upgrade Kits For Legacy Motormaster Menasor Can Split sales | eBay

NEW Leg reinforcement Big Gun Sword Upgrade Kit For Legacy motormaster-BDT | eBay

G1 Rifle Gun Upgrade Kit: Transformers Generations Legacy Commander Motormaster | eBay I like this one because Motormaster can wield it too; most of the others are too big for him imho, or require a second, smaller gun for him (which seems kinda wasteful to me).
    This link includes a shot of Menasor holding it: 5 in 1 Upgrade Kit Set: Transformers Generations Legacy Motormaster Menasor | eBay

Note that you may need an adapter to enable the DNA Design hands to accommodate them:
    For Legacy Menasor DNA DK38 Movable Hand 5mm Weapon Grip Connector Upgrade Kit | eBay

Pic request: can you post a shot of Menasor with the blades of the swords swapped?
    Really keen to see what the all-silver/grey sword looks like; ditto the red blade on black handle.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Starling

Starling Well-Known Member

The BDT one (sword and gun, both) can be splitted into two smaller guns for Motormaster.

DSC_0831.JPG DSC_0832.JPG

11. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

I’m aware. It’s a clever way to incorporate it, I guess. I just prefer the other one (even though it’s smaller).

• Like Like x 1
  12. AliasAngelAlias

AliasAngelAlias Well-Known Member

Two questions:

* Is that repo label stickers applied on your Menasor? if so, that's very cool

* Trim the pegs? I haven't seen anybody needed to do that, are you sure there is no other way?

• Like Like x 1
  13. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    They don't need to be trimmed. DNA used the same mold for both hands and just pinned the thumbs on opposite sides. This unfortunately prevents one hand from folding properly because due to the design of those trailer pieces, the pegs are not the same distance apart on each arm. The installation instructions tell you to rotate the affected fist 180 degrees for vehicle mode. What I've noticed, however, is that this causes the fist to be elevated ever so slighly, but it's just enough to prevent all of the trailer sections from pegging together completely. But I found what I think is a better solution for this. Rotate that hand 180 like the instructions say, but DO NOT make it a fist. Instead, keep the fingers pointed forward and press them flat to the surface. This allows the hand to sit low enough that the trailer will peg together properly AND still allows for sword storage in vehicle mode.

I will take some pictures in a minute to clarify what I mean.

• Like Like x 5
  14. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    This is how the instructions tell you to store the hands.
    20230328_105237.jpg 20230328_105337.jpg

This unfortunately prevents the trailer from fully closing some gaps. It was just noticeable enough for it to bother me.
    20230328_105403.jpg

But making the affected hand open rather than a fist solves the problem and still allows sword hilt storage.
    20230328_105423.jpg 20230328_105451.jpg 20230328_105509.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  15. AliasAngelAlias

AliasAngelAlias Well-Known Member

Great problem solving! You get an A+! :) 

• Like Like x 4
  16. Metrofro

Metrofro Well-Known Member

Aye, those are repo labels. As for the peg trimming it was because the way the instructions show doesn't work for my set. I tired the open hand as suggest by another poster and that didn't work either. I think my set just had some crummy QC. The gap that it left was wide enough that you could see inside, and it really, really, really annoyed me.

17. Agent 53

Agent 53 Well-Known Member

I have great respect for whoever it is that assembles Menasor's thighs at Hasbro now, and a mild contempt for whoever and DNA didn't think a little peg for the spring to hook on to on the new thighs (like the little peg on the combiner tab flap thingy). Putting those things together was a nightmare!!!!

In regards to trailer mode, from my testing the hands work fine if you put them in the configuration that the instructions suggest, there was an issue with the two pieces of the sword if you plug them into the lower leg pieces like the instructions suggest, that does cause gapping, but if you plug the arm pieces and leg pieces together you can just put the sword pieces in there, they will rattle around if you move it, but if you are just displaying it, then the trailer fits together fine.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Anyone having a problem getting the trailer extension pieces pegged into the thigh parts in alt mode? It seems the peg on mine is too big for the hole. I’d try filing the peg down but I’m afraid of doing it too much or warping the peg. It’s extremely frustrating since the trailer extension was one of the most appealing things about this set for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Mine are a tight fit but I've found that applying enough force directly over the peg gets them to snap in just fine.

20. SRK

SRK Active Member

Did u remember to take the ratchet parts out of the old piece? Also are you re using the hasbro screws or the new ones that came with the kit? The new ones work much better.