DNA Design DK-27 MPM-12 upgrade kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Operative294, Jul 30, 2021.

1. green_machine

green_machine No longer cares if Bandit gets announced.

I’m too lazy to make the meme, but MPM-12 is a perfect example of “life is good, but it could be better”

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It starts white near the grill and fades into silver at the corner. So putting a silver stripe on the new pieces would be a bad idea, but they should "complete" the worn effect so it doesn't suddenly cut off at the panel line.

WhiteToSilver.JPG

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Which is perfectly fine.

When CW PMOP came out, I passed on the US version and purchased Ginrai. Then I got both PE upgrade sets and made the figure into what I wanted it to be.

And I’m supposed to feel bad about that? And wanting to improve upon this figure too?

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheTornSideswipeFan

TheTornSideswipeFan Well-Known Member

Honestly I feel the inverse. The MPM's horns are too pushed in compared to the final model and the threezero horn placements. It's honestly the only reason I consistently call this mold a pinhead.

5. TheTornSideswipeFan

The longer I look at the head on this...

DNA-Design-DK-17-Upgrade-Kit-for-Masterpiece-Movie-MPM-05-Optimus-Prime-05__01.jpg

The more I realize his eyes are a bit too far apart. The horns were finally fixed for me to actually like it, but now I realize those eyes look a little too far apart. It's still leagues above the original, but then it's like it will bother me if I ever look at it up close (Which I sometimes do with my shelf figures)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

I get that some people love LED light up eyes of this kit but I wish the rest of us just had a head sculpt for this fig we could put onto a shelf without it looking dead.

• Like Like x 4
  7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Head doesn’t bother me.
    I’m not even that strict on accuracy. I just want a figure that’s made the best it can be.

MPM 12 is alright, but I’m not gonna feel bad for improvements on it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheTornSideswipeFan

I get that. While I may be a slave to accuracy, I am fine with a few deviations, albeit I personally don't feel wide eyes and a big nose really should be considered an accuracy aspect to handwave. Proportions on the face shouldn't be excused.

It's still honestly an easy replacement for me, it's just I tend to notice the small things on my Transformers as usually if I can't fix it myself, I'm bothered by it. Think like your non-centered Insignias on Autobots, or decepticons, paint app issues and such.

To me, the head on the original feels like one really bad smear on a figure I'd otherwise not be bothered by excluding cat ears and a disappointing truck bed, and the upgrade really does fix alot of the main issues I have with the head, but the proportions really end up being a case of that one bad smear that shows especially when the head gets so much more right.

9. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

so how much are they in store? did they starts discounting them? if so i need to get another one! haha. i just PO'd the DNA kit. gotta gix those cat ears and teh arms look better too. unsure about the head...its ok i guess. the legs, DO look A LITTLE BIT better in some poses especially but just in a static pose the current stock legs look....fine? i might do it but they he'll be a different height than every other MP prime i have....so might not.

10. TheAirWolf

TheAirWolf Well-Known Member

They were still $125.99 in store. I just didn't relish the thought of going into Target to get one. There were a lot of people out Saturday and I couldn't find one online that was in stock.

• Like Like x 4
  11. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer D&D newbie

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah I do see what you mean now. I still think just a silver side stripe would match better than the flat out white. Or if they could pull off the same white-bordered silver stripe, that would be best

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So… I just TF’d my MPM 12.
    What a piece of garbage. I don’t see a figure that was restricted by a tight budget; I see a figure that was rushed out the door because another Optimus will be on its way.

And I really don’t think any number of upgrade kits will fix this. The truck mode is useless and pointless. So any upgrade kit will be to make the bot mode better.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheTornSideswipeFan

That's admittedly gonna be the case at the end of the day. There's no real winning when it comes to the vehicle mode's given by MPM. The only ideal vehicle that was given justice was the SS-38 Optimus' original Truck Mode (Albeit with a result of some excess kibble and more nitty-gritty annoyances I personally have with the figure itself.)

By the time we'd have completely gotten upgrade kits to turn the figure into a great representation of the Earth Mode Robot Design and a near perfect Vehicle Mode, we'd have already made a whole entire new figure made at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Agreed completely.

15. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto 8 Strings Enthusiast

News Credits:
    I feel like a fool... I found 2 at target and was half interested, but this was before the kit was announced and i passed on it. Now, I can't find one anywhere near me. Although, for the price of the bot and kit, that's like $180-200, close to the Toyworld/3A offerings.

Edit: Didn't know that western prices for Freedom leader were $260 and $280...

I checked target and he was back in stock online!
    upload_2021-9-21_16-16-46.png

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I was gonna try and return mine to Target, but I no longer have the receipt. Probably just as well- my Target is not like a Wal Mart; they won’t return anything unless it came broken.

So I’m trying to cancel a pre-order with Bombusbee. I’m not happy with this... but I’m not sure I’d be any happier with Threezero.

Im kinda torn between a magnificent Threezero that’s not really something you mess with, and making this work. It’s not perfect but you can mess with it.

17. TheTornSideswipeFan

I'd say it's down to whether you want something that's purely for shelf presence or something you will play with. For me, I'm essentially a shelf TF Collector. I get a figure, I pose them and they mostly never move from their position after that unless I want to transform it once every blue moon.

If that's what you want, then go for it, but if you want something else, I'd say go for the MPM and upgrade it

• Like Like x 2
  18. lilmac

lilmac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like the upgrades will bring these guys closer together in size. 93FBDC65-1888-4071-941D-4457FE124410.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  19. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah the hands for sure. Also the cat ear thing does bother me. Not so much in person but in pictures it really stands out and taking pics of my bots is definitely a main thing I do with them. The rest is definitely welcome but not 100% essential.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah in person the cat ears don't bother me, but in photos totally. Than again I have ThreeZero for robot photos and MP10 for vehicle.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 5