DNA Design DK-13 And DK-14 Upgrade Kits for Siege Galaxy Optimus Prime And Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Black Convoy, Oct 22, 2019.

1. SlickPrime

SlickPrime Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand the point of the little joints on the side of the legs. If they were removed and the wheel portion was just glued down permanently on to the tab it plugs into, you can move entire wheel assembly with that back panel. Seems like unnecessary small parts that could have been easily streamlined

Attached Files:

2. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Man, these look like total dogshit. Whomever chose the knee placement was smoking crack or something.

3. SlickPrime

In all fairness, the knee placement on the shorter mode for the leg is in the exact same place it was on the original design. Ultra Magnus is like all shin and no thigh

Attached Files:

4. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Those are there so you can swing that wheel forward in cab mode to sit closer to the front wheels rather than having that large gap. It's been a common complaint about Magnus's alt mode for a while now, so the kit aims to fix that. Streamlining those hinges would have neutered one of the main points to the kit. If I had to have another nitpick, the new knee is two pieces that kinda flex in a way that makes me worry a bit. That and the previously mentioned clip issue are the main problems I can have with the kit. I like it overall, but it does fall flat of passing with flying colors.

• Like Like x 1
  5. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Question to those that have the kits. How do they look with only the arms and legs armored up and not the chest? I already have the Prime one in a loot so if no one got that, then I can see for myself, but I like my Ultra Magnus with his white chest and head out so I definitely need to know how he looks. Much thanks in advanced!

6. SlickPrime

That's what I get for not reading the instructions. Good thing I didn't clip it off yet.

I'll take a pic tonight without the chest armor

• Like Like x 1
  7. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    Reading this now. Just bough both sets for my galaxy prime, and ultra Magnus, might have buyers remorse now. But idk I wanted them to stand taller on the shelf and have primes guns filled in

8. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

If it helps, I don't think the kits are bad by any means. For 20 bucks, I can't say I regret the buy. The most frustrating part has been the clips for the leg armor/trailer attachment, and for the armored bot mode, it's only really an issue for someone like me who enjoys posing and playing, but even then it just means I have to be slightly more mindful to hold the leg fully.

9. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    Hope I have no issues with mine, if I'm able to fix mine to keep it on the legs I'll think of something

10. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else have to glue down the tabs that connect the legs to the trailer? That's my only qualm I have with this kit.

11. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I've no glue on hand, but was wondering if that would work out. Getting the trailer tabbed on is getting easier, but it's still got me thinking that a more flexible plastic on those tabs would have done wonders.

12. SlickPrime

Here you go, man.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I'm a little unclear on the clip problem people are talking about. What's the issue exactly?

The original clips on the figure aren't exactly easy to work with either.

14. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

The clips here are rather rigid. Not fragile, but it makes pegging them onto the trailer connection a bit of a nightmare, and the front of the shins that hold the clips in place aren't glued or screwed down so the right force can actually end up dislodging that piece instead of tabbing the trailer on. I thought the clips were too wide for the leg armor, but I think they fit as well as the old ones on closer inspection. I think the issue is more just a few hairs' worth of friction that makes them not seem as secure as the original legs' in armored up mode. Though the armor being a bit easier to disengage from the legs isn't that big an issue unless you're really ham-fisted with the figure during posing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I'm assuming (dangerously) that the Magnus kit is compatible with the Dr. Wu gap fillers for the legs.

16. Piemanbegins

Piemanbegins Well-Known Member

The new legs do not have the hollow spaces for the Dr. Wu filler pieces.

17. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Thanks, but what I was referring to was the new legs fitting into the full Magnus armor with the Dr. Wu gap fillers installed.

It appears they should because the gap fillers do not extend past the partitions that keep the legs in place. I'll know for certain later this week.

18. Piemanbegins

Piemanbegins Well-Known Member

Oh, my bad. Yes, they do fit.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Excellent. Also, nice book collection. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

Repeated transformations seem to be breaking the clip in nicely. No longer hurts my fingers to get them into the trailer connection. There's still the odd flex in the two-piece knee assembly, but it doesn't seem to be developing into an issue.

Honestly, I can't fault it too much for being just 20 bucks. Could have used maybe a touch more polish, but it's overall been a really satisfying kit. Could nitpick that I wish the hammer was larger, but oh well. ;P Always more options to look into if I wanna give him more whacking power.