DNA Design DK-07 Upgrade Kit for POTP Predaking

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics of the wings showing the screws on the opposing side depending on which way they are turned.

Pics of moulding error on both sides of the sword i.e. on each of the upper swords.

Plus example of pre-paint rub/wear from new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Prescient

News Credits:
    And another problem with mine, the tabs don't align on the backpack so no way to lock the wings in place.

Editing the next sentence as I worded it a bit strongly.

This is a pain for divebomb in alt mode as won't tab but not a prob in Predaking mode (fixed by cutting tabs).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

That sucks, it sounds like you really got screwed by the QC department. That happened to me a few times recently, so I know your pain.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prescient

News Credits:
    I've cut the tabs to fit and it's sorted that out. I've contacted the retailer to see if DNA are sending replacements on various bits but despite all this, it's still a great kit that looks fab on display.

I've edited the effect on the kit which is in your post quoting me as I was typing quickly and didn't give context.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, I do wish I could be this forgiving. "It's crap, but looks nice" is never something I could reason with for anything over $5. This is a $50 kit that has been delayed for months, supposedly to make it better, so there is NO excuse for such shoddy craftsmanship. If all the sets have the duplicate wings, then I think they should have delayed it another month to get it right.
    Plus, your original wording was more apropos. The lack of tabbing does make the wings useless. The stock wings lock nicely in both modes, so that's another fail for DNA's "upgrade".
    Aside from the big issues, how are the hands and other pieces for you?

I prefer to take pics of my figures in action poses and with other figures rather than just display them statically at a distance, so if my set arrives with the lazy duplicate wing that shows screws on one side I wouldn't be able to live with it and will never attach them even just to see how they look. It may seem like a small thing to some, and that I'm overreacting to this, but I never buy 3P and was hoping it would live up to the hype so many had shown for this stuff during the Combiner craze.
    As for the sword, I have the Crazy Devy sword waiting, which is perfect and cost $12, so I don't have anything riding on this one if it also turns out to be a mess.

6. Bandobras

Bandobras Distracticon

DK-07 dropped into my pile of loot today! Getting ready for shipment.

7. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Hey, how many ratchet replacements are we supposed to get in the box, 2, right??
    I only got one, so I'm trying to decide if I need to complain to the store I got it from.

8. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Same here.

9. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Haha, this is ridiculous, so it's only for the one arm holding the sword, I guess???
    Coupled with the paint scratches and dent on one of his spine "thrusters", I'm actually kind of disappointed with this set.
    It looks great, but the execution's kind of sad. Best/most well-done parts are his two fists, which is mostly what I bought it for though.

10. gaseous clay

gaseous clay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, you guys should have gotten two, in the same baggie as the ab fillers.

11. Evirdrevo

Evirdrevo Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's another cost-saving move. "Well, he'll only ever hold the sword with one arm... we can probably get away with just upgrading one ratchet."

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Double check your boxes. My extra parts were loose, but the second ratchet was there. They're wedged together so tight, you miss the second. Try peeling them apart, you might find the second one. (No, I'm not kidding.)

I have to say the fit and finish, for the most part, is actually quite good. My sword does have a few slight paint issues but nothing to sink the ship for me.

It's worth it for the stable torso and hands, alone. The ratchets are like night and day. Seriously. Well worth the time to install. (Takes barely 3-5 minutes per arm. Actually, the second arm was 1.5.)

Nice, heavy, thick plastic with insane hand articulation. (Have a spudger handy, you'll need it for the spikes. Dang, they're tight!!

As for the wings, it's a cost cutting measure. They are indeed two of the same. Don't let it deter you, though. The rest of the set is worth buying, and yes, at the current pricing. Just sell the wings, someone will buy them.

Yes, yes, yes, I do recommend this set and if you're on the fence, jump off. It's worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    I'll probably take some better pictures tomorrow, but all in all I'm thrilled with this kit. I didn't bother replacing Divebomb's ratchet cause he holds the sword just fine. Only issue I have is Divebomb's waist swivel is a bit loose, but the shoulder joint is fine. I love the new hands and I think the new wings look far better than the stock ones. And I think the overly massive sword is a nice touch. Upon further examination, I'm not noticing any of the paint rubs that have been previously mentioned. Maybe I just got lucky?

Either way, this is a fine ass upgrade kit! 20190208_001703.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Super happy with mine!

Before
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  15. cire87

cire87 'til all are dead.

News Credits:
    I don't have this kit in hand (yet) and I know my wings and sword will look out of place because I have the reprolables on mine and he's so shiny!
    Too but I can't have that option with the sword and wings on this kit.

Instead of hacking into it (I didn't want to do this cause of the price of the figure) I decided to add a layer of super glue (or whatever you think it comfortable) to the tab and let it dry before you put them together and I can tell you, once you get the right thickness it holds together just fine.
    So there's an option if you don't want to hack your figure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

Yeah, a thin bead of glue works just as good. That, and the fact that Rampage has a spot in his lower bot legs perfect for an added peg, make tightening the "extended arm setting" easy to fix

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dachande

News Credits:
    Cost cutting is okay here? The set is already $50, so cost-cutting like this shouldn't be considered acceptable.
    Definitely taking the point and selling off the wings and sword. As long as the hands, side guns and back spine are good I'll feel lucky.

Does look good, but my eyes went right to the asymmetrical wing screws.
    It's one of those "can't un-see" situations for me. Bummer.

Once I have the set in hand and verify they didn't screw up the pieces I actually want, I'll happily stay away from future releases from this group. It's definitely a "fool me once..." situation.

18. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Great idea! Do you think that might work for his non-functional backpack tab too? I wasn't sure whether it wasn't catching because it was too loose or too tight.

19. Prescient

News Credits:
    #List of QC issues logged and fixes where available# UPDATED 23-Feb-2019

Right, some further issues with QC.

If your wings are very loose swinging open and closed here is probably why.

I opened them up and there is a bead of glue along the top edge. However, this glue had clearly run into the upper yellow hinge rod/tabs for the wing and stuck the top one to the orange body. As you can see this has sheered off since it would not turn due to the glue.

No easy fix for this one sadly.

[​IMG]

##List of QC & Design Faults So Far reported by owners

A) Wings

1) Wings asymmetrical (by design) so one side will have the black screws showing and the other won't. No fix but option to paint screws.

2) Wings floppy opening and closing due to broken hinge tabs which got glued in place during production. These are already sheered on arrival as can't move around their rotational axis when the wings are rotated to fit in the packaging. No fix.

3) Wing tabs don't align with existing backpack so can't lock into place in Divebomb mode. Fix - Fix is cutting tab slightly.

B) Weapons

4) Weapons, Score marks in the swords which have been painted over so assume something got in the moulds. All 4 swords affected. Fix - no fix.

4b) Swords, locking pegs broken or not tabbing properly. Fix - no fix.

4c) Sword not aligning in combined mode at the tip. Fix - gently heat and hold back in place. I suggest boiled water in a glass bowl then dip the part in briefly once it's off the heat.

C) Paint

5) Paint, general poor paint applications in places some areas pre worn upon opening. Fix - no fix

D) Parts

6) Spine - Thruster moulding dent plus paint scratches. Fix - no fix but only visible from the back.

7) Side rib clip on parts - tabs pressed in slightly so won't clip in. Fix - easy fix with flat head screwdriver just bend out slightly.

8) Hands - loose thumbs / finger joints. Fix - none yet if floor wax polish won't work.

9) Bonus Parts Bag Missing -

E) Ratchet

10) Shoulder Ratchets - Only one included in the set. Looks like the early sets and some retailers have 2 but later sets have 1. DNA indicate it should be one but 2 were included in some and they will supply a second. Fix - first, triple check the box as they are small and can fall out of the packaging or be stuck together. If missing then that's just bad luck and you will need to request from DNA via your retailer.

F) Plastics

11) Stress Marks - various stress marks esp in screw mounts/ fixing tabs. Fix - no real fix but unless the plastic splits it will hold. Only seems to occur on non visible parts with this kit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Dachande

News Credits:
    Forgot this one as well:

Keeps getting better and better.