DNA Design DK-04 Fortress Maximus Upgrade Kits (Crotch plate, ratchets and feet)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Wish the metroplex foot set would get a reissue, but doubt that the Citi Trends aberration would be enough to warant a new run.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  3. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That tail was more of a thing for Black Zarak... so I'm cool with the differences.

I made the sidekicks for my Metrotitan too... Screenshot_20220215-164225_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  4. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have a set of plex shoes. but sadly they won't be cheap.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, I'd get as much out of them as I could also.

6. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

So these kits are back up for sale on ShowZ, albeit at a staggering 80 bucks each. I wanted them both, but as I had sunk 400 into getting a new takara max already and paid 16 for his gun, I couldn't justify dumping more than half a grand into his guy. I got the leg upgrade version but I can't get the top two of screws out of his crotch as they seem stripped right out of the gate. It's the damnest thing as every video shows large silver screws but the two I got out on the bottom were small black ones. Any advice?

[​IMG]

7. lilcarus

News Credits:
    my advice is getting a nice screwdriver with a sharp tip. i went to lowes and bought a craftsman number 2 just to work my big bots. when i was at the store they had 2 options available. one with a crisp point and the other had a more blunt tip.

just grab both as they are only like 5 bucks or whatever. so grab a couple and go to town.

if the hole is too deep and narrow i will also use my mini klein #3 and it works like a charm.

but if that doesn't work because they might be all stripped. then just use a flathead screwdriver to break them loose. after that they should come out like butter.

i hope that helps you some and here is what i use.
    20230806_020350.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    So, what you're saying is... you just want a half-a-Grand Maximus? :D  Sorry... stripped screws on these really are the worst. I have an MP-13 with over-tightened screws, where I couldn't complete the hand swap out on both arms :rolleyes:  Sometimes, warming the plastic up a little can give you some extra pliability and help the screws release easier. If you don't have a little heat gun, maybe a hair dryer..

9. triKlops

triKlops New England Transformers Collectors Group member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    While I agree with lilcarus that that would be the best next on-hand step, if you have it available, i would be remiss in pointing out something that comes up every couple of years.

JIS screw standards explain a lot of issues that western folks tend to have with screw removal and insertion. This may not be the solve for this immediate problem you are having but it would definitely be something to look at going forward when you are doing upgrades /repairs /swaps.

I couldn't figure it out for years why i would run into issues, mostly headswaps a la HeadRobots upgrades, but repairs have also benefited from this knowledge as well.

I ended up getting a set of JIS hobby screwdrivers that have worked well for years now. I keep these Only for toy work, so they don't get accidentally used for everyday products that a normal Phillips will solve.

Please see below and best of luck:

Japanese Industrial Standards - Wikipedia

List of screw drives - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Another trick is to use a drop of super glue on the end of the tip of the screw driver and let it adhere. That will sometimes get the loose screw out, but you need to use as little glue as possible as you don't want it dripping on any of the plastic.

• Like Like x 5
  11. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Takara Tomy switched over to using black screws around the Unite Warrior point. If you wanted the g1 gun toydojo has one and it's on sale. The set is good for that price thou the upgraded legs are more made to match the version you got but i never added them to mine. I had to use a long broad-headed (more flat than pointy) Phillips oddly one that came with a upgrade kit is the best. The do use a goop called (monkey shit, not joking) to secure the screws and you got to torque it off to break the seal on the screw think of it like someone added a dab of super glue to the screw. They do use a torqued screwdriver during production so your figure might have had issues and if it is stripped at factory wise then someone modified it to meet quotas. I am not there so i can't say for sure but i do know the screws are in just over 2 inches deep so you do need just over 2 inch long thin tip that is more broad than angled. It also needs a decent handle to give you enough torque to free those screws those think jeweler screwdrivers lack the handle which is needed. If they are stripped then you can place some soft parts under him and use a thin tipped flat head screwdriver to try and hammer (lightly and often) to separate the screw head enough to then use that to get the screw out, but really double-check and use a flashlight to make sure the screw is stripped because that is last resort and you can damage the figure and your destroying the screw, it's a high risk thing so be super careful and make sure to use ample padding to protect your figure.

Attached Files:

12. FORT MAXie

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    In this case broad tip would work better since it gives more surface area often the narrow-tipped ones are the ones that strip the screw they are designed to have less torque and those screws are set with the goop that forces the screw to not budge, think of it as a dyed semi weak glue.

13. lilcarus

News Credits:
    it could be but every bot is usually different and what works on some doesn't work on others. hopefully the recommend screw drivers help this guy out.

but if things still go south. i am pretty sure he will be able to get the screws out with a flat head.

[​IMG]

also, i think you should totally sell me this grand max. i need this grand maximus in my life...like asap

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. FORT MAXie

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Ya i know that feeling i did the baby grand for them both too adapting one from botcon megatron. I have also worked on 5 of the figures so far. 2 being the normal Hasbro versions one for Fortress Maximus and Metroplex.

Attached Files:

15. lilcarus

News Credits:
    that metro looks good. i have been on a takara titan kick as of late like 3 new ones in 2 weeks. i am swapping out my mainline metros to tak ones. i thought about changing out my fort max for the tak one.

but i think i am keeping both max's since there are enough differences between the 2 that it works for keeping both molds.

16. FORT MAXie

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Okay there are differences in all the Metroplexes i would aim for the TG-23 and LG-EX but the Scamper on LG_EX is red and black and no grey parts which i like the look of even more otherwise they are identical over a random cord holder with metroplex's face is on. The 2 convention versions are similar minus sticker on box and mini figures being color changed but not worth it price-wise unless you prefer the more chrome look over Takara's.
    Fortress Maximus i went with the SDCC version because it mixes the color on the chest thou i like the legs more on the TT version. You also get the same headmaster as the TT version but with even more paint apps. Also comes with a sword, unlike the separately sold sword with the TT version. A bonus is if you hold the head down for 3 seconds on the SDCC version you get a theme song easter egg. I would also check out toydojo and get a rifle upgrade that is on sale, the same one that i have on mine.
    Professor Heisenberg SS02 Solution Set Master Cannon

17. lilcarus

News Credits:
    yeah, thanks for posting the info. but i already knew most of that. but i am sure others will appreciate it as well. i didn't know about the sdcc easter egg. but the funny thing is the takara one has a cartoon easter egg as well...lol

the past 2-3 weeks have been all takara big bots for me. at this point i am totally having a teddy bear picnic.

20230809_070738.jpg
    i recently picked up the takara titans to see exactly what i do like or don't like about them. so when it is all said and done i can replace the hasbro releases.

as far as i am concerned the LG_EX is the best of the metro plex's hands down. the white is brighter and the bot is a much more solid than the TG-23 release if that makes any sense. i never like the sdcc metro it just didn't do it for me when i had it. the box was cool but that was about it.

but with the EX release i just love everything about it and i can't wait till i have the extra time to fully kit it up with everything plus the kitchen sink.

now as far as the maximi go. i don't think i will be replacing my mainline bot. i like both bots for the subtle differences. for me the blue chest window and variations on the paint really make a statement on the takara bot.

so i think i will just keep both of these max's when it is all said and done. but i do think the takara sword is garbage but i could also be very bias with the PE sword.

till then i am just rocking the titan graveyard under my stairs.

20230809_070939.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. JasonTFW

JasonTFW Well-Known Member

BBTS put DK-04, DK-03/G, and DK-02 upgrade kits up for preorder.

• Like Like x 1
  19. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Considering I’m STILL currently hunting Maximus down on EBay/Mercari, this definitely helps since they’ll be next once I FINALLY get him

20. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

Boy you're living the good life picking and choosing which versions you like best.
    Meanwhile here I sit with my lone lg fort max and NO metroplex to speak of... sadness...

• Like Like x 2