DMY D-05 Pharaonic kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 24, 2014.

1. bigevil801

bigevil801 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was able to get one of these, hope it’s the kit with the screws in the hands.

2. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Oh this was a great kit back in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigevil801

bigevil801 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thread, back from the dead, just got this today, haven’t had time to install it, but it is the revised version with the screws in the hands.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry for the necromancy, but just recently managed to finally get the figure and now I'm looking for the upgrade kit. All the ebay offers for the US set are from users with < 1000 feedback, so I'm wary.

Does anyone know what version does Uncle Billy sell or how to contact him and ask?

Cya
    Raziel-chan

• Like Like x 1
  5. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
  6. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks, sent him a message via eBay.

For some reason his eBay auctions never appear when I search them through my local ebay subpage and app, even if I select the option to show listings from the store world.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

7. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If anyone's still interested in the kit, uncle Billy has the version with screws (at least the us one is confirmed to have screws by him). His site has all three versions for $35 a piece with free shipping. Dunno if the other two versions have screws, though.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

• Like Like x 1
  8. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Can you link this please?

9. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    DMY Studio D-05 Pharaonic Add On Kit US Version,In stock!

I also found a German hobby site that still had Dr wu's dark star saber. Gonna see if my order goes through.

Now if only Shapeways had a free shipping promotion, I'm not going to pay €12.50 shipping for an €10.50 pair of upgraded biceps.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

10. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Thanks for reminding me that I still need to install these on mine.

11. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I've got this going up in my Shapeways shop in the next few days, for anyone looking to complete their DMY upgrade kit.

201807190047251047_01.jpg
    megatron cannon cradle.jpg

It's a single piece that adds the two prongs of Megatron's cannon, that fits snugly around the front square tab on the top of DMY's arm, and follows the contours of his arm perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sdmacleod

sdmacleod Well-Known Member

I just got my Pharaonic set, and was disappointed to discover those weren't there! Thanks!

13. adean

adean Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a pic with the bicep upgrade? How close to the US version is the color? Also when are the cannon prongs going to be available? What color are you going to have the prongs?

14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It’s still depressing that a version was never made to match Final Battle Megatron.

15. adean

adean Well-Known Member

Does the Japanese version not match or is it close to the color of the final battle megatron? I want to see the bicep upgrade. it says the biceps are now beefier and more accurate to the show

16. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    These? I got them like, a year ago, but never installed them. I have them in the white plastic, which I didn't like the texture of them at the time, but think I could clean up now.

I can post comparison pics of them if you want to see the pieces in more detail, but I don't have the time to prep, paint and install them just yet. Paint matching his plain version is tough because there's a yellowish tint to his plastic that I haven't been able to get 100% right just yet.
    Those will be going up this weekend.

The print I have here is done in the Smooth Fine Detail Plastic, which is transparent, but barely shows that textured 3d print surface. That version should be $5. I'll also make it available in the colored versatile plastics, and premiums, for $4 and $7 respectively.

Sorry it's kinda steep for a small part. Just so you know, I only round my prices up to the next dollar from what Shapeways' material cost is.

• Like Like x 1
  17. adean

adean Well-Known Member

What is the best plastic to get the biceps in? What colors are available in premiums. Should I get the biceps in the smooth fine detail? Can you post a pic of the beefier bicep next to the stock bicep?

18. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, it's all chromed to match Darkness Megatron.

19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what material to recommend.

I have never opted for the premium plastic (comes in black or white) because it's the most expensive. If the cannon prongs I designed are about $6 in that material, then I would guess the biceps would be close to $30.

When I want something to look good with crisp details and a smooth surface, I order the Smooth Fine Detail. That stuff is brittle without much flexibility in comparison to the versatile plastics, and I don't know how well this kit would do with assembling in that material. To assemble one arm for these pics, I had to remove material in the bicep with an xacto knife in order to get the mushroom peg bicep swivel in. Even with doing that I had to use pliers to squeeze the part into its slot. Smooth Fine Detail would've cracked or split if I'd tried that with it, and that is the second most expensive plastic, coming it at just under $24 for this kit.

Here are pics:

201808080019421071~01.jpg 201808080021181072~01.jpg

The assembled arm is longer than the stock one, and does add some width, though not much depth. The detail in the shoulder also sticks out much further than the stock version.

I don't think I'd recommend the kit, personally. First, it makes the arms longer, which the figure doesn't need. Second, I don't think it could ever look stock because painted joint surfaces that are subject to friction always end up with the paint rubbing or chipping off. That's why I recommend dying the kits I design, or ordering them in the basic color you want the joints to be. In this kit's case, the worst area for paint would be inside the elbow, and that's a high visibility area.

If you're dead set on getting it, I'll sell you mine for $10 shipped.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  20. adean

adean Well-Known Member

looks cool but I agree arms do not need to be any longer. What color are you doing the prongs? I have the us version megatron. I will order the prongs when you get them up on shapeways.