Heavy/Scratch: Display stand. Homemade

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dadicus Prime, Oct 14, 2020.

?

Would there be an interest in a tutorial on this?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. Nah I'm just looking.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dadicus Prime

Dadicus Prime Well Known Dad

Hello everyone. We've had some really beautiful displays here on radicons recently. I decided to share something a little more beginner.
    noname.jpg

I started with regular foam board you can find at the hardware store. Cut out a circle and sanded the sides. The I proceeded to carve lines and shapes with a razor blade/ pen. The raised panels are from used up gift cards that I cut with tin snips and rounded with a file. Small nails were used for detail and to hold the tubing down. The "buttons" are magnets so I can make add-ons in the future if I want.

View attachment 28813302
    Next came a layer of modpog to seal/fill. Followed up with 2 coats of black acrylic house paint. ($5 a gallon in the mistint section). Then came 2 coats of grey latex. (This is also the color of my bathroom.) The lavender/purple is craft paint. Finally a wash made from water and the black paint.

noname (2).jpg noname (10).jpg

I would like to make crisper/cleaner lines in the future. Maybe start with a blade then with pencil. It would also probably be better if I sketched on paper first. I kind of jumped right in and feel like I designed myself into a corner in a few places.

All and all I am happy. I made something with things kicking around my house from previous projects. I have something fun to put bots on. Most importantly I got to keep positive and share with you folks.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  2. loof

loof New avatar wow

And you call yourself a beginner? This looks great! I eagerly await your future projects.

3. Dadicus Prime

Dadicus Prime Well Known Dad

Let me explain "beginner"! Lol. I think this could be a great project for beginners as long as you break it down in steps. I've done various hobbies over the years like model railroading, model building, recently a little DnD terrain for my oldest kid. I like to think I am of moderate skill.

Thank you for the compliment.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Very cool!

• Like Like x 1