Display Case Help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Markus76, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

I have looked but didn't find another thread for this, so forgive me if I missed it. I have collected off and on for a while now, but have gotten to the point that I would like to get a display case that can hold my masterpiece figures and to keep out the dust.

I was wondering what you guys use and, if possible, where you might get an enclosed display case. I'd like it to be about 60" tall or so. Of course, I have that Combiner wars Devastator that is 18" tall that I need to get on a shelf. The attached pic is what I currently have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you have an IKEA near you if so get yourself a detolf.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Markus76

That looks exactly what I want, however, IKEA charges $349 just to deliver that.

4. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hence, if you have one NEAR YOU, you can pick it up and not pay an insane amount for shipping.

5. JoshFinn

JoshFinn Getting real sick of your shit starscream

I'd say go check out yard sales see if you can find something that'll look good, might be able to find an old glass cabinet on the cheap side.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Markus76

Thanks guys, but I did find the IKEA one on amazon for $160 and I got that one.

8. Markus76

Ha, yea, saw it for $69 on the website and went to check out and it was $349 just for shipping. Unreal.

9. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair, that thing is very large and VERY heavy, so I can understand why it has to be shipped freight.
    I bought my first one at IKEA, and I'm so thankful that I had help loading it into the car and then bringing it into the apartment.
    I bought my second one pre-assembled from someone on Craigslist - it's worth a look to see if there are any in your area!

• Like Like x 1
  10. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i almost bought my first one at ikea alone, but decided i had enough to haul by myself (a desk and some metal shelves). definitely worth a weekend trip with the wife to save on shipping and have help.

-

11. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
  12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I was lucky and got my display cabinet from a toy store that was closing down. I helped them pack up on their last day and paid their movers to move the cabinet for me. It has everything I want: glass display, glass shelving, interior lights, mirror in the back, and storage space below to put boxes, accessories, etc. Keeping the dust out is a huge deal.

I think the IKEA Detolf shelves are cool, but I also like shelves with more horizontal space in case one wants to create a battle scene or some form of diorama scene.

Good luck with the display case, I think that getting a good display cabinet can really take your collecting to another level, it certainly did for me. Let us know how it turns out!

13. beularnum8

beularnum8 Well-Known Member

Good choice to be fair :) 

Though if you are ever looking for something slightly larger from Ikea, i also recommend the Billy Bookcases with a pair of doors. Being able to customise where the shelves are is a big winner for me. The detolfs are fantastic of course but i wish now they were a tad wider. No doubt there's some around

14. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    Devastator isnt going to fit in a Detolf unless you sit him down or remove a shelf. If you want, the cheapest option, drive around down and look for businesses that are closing down. Its not unheard of for them to give away stuff like that.

There are some online stores that sell business sized displays (i seriously contemplated buing one) but as was said, its very expensive to ship.