Display Advice/ Sun Damage Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrinningGrendel, Oct 24, 2012.

1. GrinningGrendel

GrinningGrendel Active Member

So, I'm fairly new to collecting G1, and I know that a lot of older figures are prone to yellowing and sun damage. Presently, I keep my collection displayed on a shelf in my living room (adjacent to a window). That window's blinds remain closed almost always and a thin curtain is over them. So, I'm not sure if I should be worried about yellowing or not. Should I move them? Is the occasional filtered sunlight too much? Was Breakdown this creamed-colored when I bought him? The paranoia is creeping in.

I guess I'm asking how much is too much?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    breakdown is cream coloured, and direct sunlight isn't good, but indirect doesn't seem to bother them much, i had a g1 jetfire displayed in indirect light for a couple years with no issues

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    brr-icy is right on the money with the issue of direct sunlight. From our Insuring and Protecting Your Collection article:

Sunlight:

[​IMG]

This guy hates you and your toys. Sunlight is known to cause yellowing, plastic degradation, and overall fading. If your toys receive direct sunlight you are damaging them, period. Test this. Get a figure you don’t care about, put him in a window for a month. After that time, take a look, the sun facing side will be noticeable lighter.

Truths:
    • This happens quickly when it happens.
    • Plastic is the determining factor. Some plastics will fade/yellow quickly. Some will go slowly. Some will break down entirely and crack.
    • Heat and direct lamp light will cause the same things only at a slower rate. UV is destructive in any form.
    • Combined with oils from your hands, the process can happen more quickly or more seriously.
    • Oils from your hands alone on white plastic can cause this to happen.

What can you do?
    • Simply, keep your figures out of direct light, especially sun light.
    • Avoid other lighting for the toys when you aren’t around.

I hope that helps!

4. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

It's a property of the ABS plastic that direct and prolonged exposure to sunlight will damage it. Direct and prolonged is the key though. Ambient light is not a problem at all.

Another plus to living in Seattle. We have more overcast days annually than most other major cities. Some days I can just open my blinds on a bright but cloudy day.

5. MartyMcfly160

MartyMcfly160 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've always wanted to research this but haven't been able to sit and go full on. . . as far as display cases is there any light source that doesn't give off UV rays of any form? damn i remember this one time in science class in jr high and high school where we spoke about this and i remember reading about 2 different sources of light and i cant remember exactly what it was