Disney's The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    “The soundtrack hasn’t had nearly the same impact in the charts that it had 25 years ago, when it was the bestselling album of the year,” he said. “The new soundtrack fell out of the charts so quickly, despite the massive box-office success. I wish I’d been invited to the party more, but the creative vision for the film and its music was different this time around and I wasn’t really welcomed or treated with the same level of respect. That makes me extremely sad. I’m so happy that the right spirit for the music lives on with the ‘Lion King’ stage musical.”

I think he wanted to innovate, but couldn't. So I can't really criticize him for saying that.

He may have better luck if Disney adapts his musical AIDA.

3. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Okay listened to the blu-ray commentary from Favreau.

* Re: Be Prepared - they felt Scar breaking into song would've clashed with the photorealism of the movie as would the original green hellish landscape of the Graveyard. They tried whittling it into a monologue version of Be Prepared, then they had Tim Rice create some new lyrics to reflect the different relationship Scar has with the hyenas this time to build on the little pieces of monologue left.

Favreau is candid numerous times on how the animals don't have emotions on their faces, but sought to take after Babe which only had CGI for the mouths of the animals but still had emotional stories you could relate to. It's funny because he repeatedly praises the animators (which he should, they surely broke their asses making this) but also says they made Mufasa's death super emotional... as we watch the dead look in little Simba's face as he looks at Mufasa's corpse. Ha.

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:

5. Chopperface

News Credits:
    To be honest that was way less scathing than I thought it was gonna be. I dunno. They hit on a lot of the criticisms of the film but it didn’t feel as brutal as I figured.

6. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Like the guy said, hard to feel brutal when they made you watch a ball of poop whilst taking over a billion to the bank :lol 

7. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Hans Zimmer got a Grammy nomination for best score. Pretty sure in all honesty he doesn’t really deserve the nomination since he just revamped his score... but then again it’s Hans Zimmer so he still deserves and and all recognition. Category isn’t for best original, just best. Which is why he certainly won’t get an Oscar nod for this film. He got it for the original anyway, which is to date his only oscar for score, and if any movie of his was gonna get it, it was the original for sure.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering movies have forever not allowed free screening to mass audiences, not why this should get an exception.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    This isn't even accurate anyway. Not surprising, one of the usual clickbait sites just intentionally skewed the facts about what happened and of course never talked about the follow-up facts.

In a nutshell, it was a licensing company akin to a music publisher that came after the school for this fee/fine, not Disney themselves. And as soon as it became news, Bob Iger himself immediately went public about it and donated a bunch of money to the school and their fundraising campaign.

11. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I remember in elementary school when we’d try to bring Disney VHS’s to watch on special days, the teachers would refuse to play them because they said Disney would charge them money. So I’ve definitely heard of stuff like this before, though at least it’s a licensing company and not Disney themselves! :lol 

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've personally never liked those overly cartoony fan designs. I find them super creepy and uncanny, they make me feel uncomfortable whenever I see them. IMO they're far worse than the movie's CG models. I'm actually shocked more people don't find them creepy.

I don't have a problem with the movie using realistically proportioned animals...that's expected in a live-action/photorealistic movie. I just think they needed to exaggerate the expressions a bit more...like Aslan...he didn't have cartoon features and he looked great. There are plenty of realistically proportioned animals in movies that have tons of expression and personality. This movie just took the hyper-realism too far. If people feel like the designs needed to be cartoony for this movie to work, I think they're missing the mark (I don't blame anyone for wanting more cartoony designs, but I don't think that was was the core problem).

And even more than the designs, I blame the voice acting and the dialog. A lot of the lines felt phoned-in, and the dialog just wasn't overly clever or good. Not to mention the environments and cinematography were kind of ugly and didn't really do the character models any favors. With better voice direction and a really solid witty script (and some pretty visuals and environments to back it all up), I don't think people would be too bothered by the lack of expressive faces. C-3PO has zero facial expression, and no one accuses him of lacking emotions. It can be done, it just needs smart presentation.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I agree, those edits were awful. Felt like some snarky fan just attempting to say “lol any expression is better than no expression suck it Favreau” when no, that’s not the case at all. I would’ve been angrier if they had done this instead of what we got. We should’ve gotten Aslan like you said or at least as much body language and expression as Timon and Pumbaa got, those two were the only ones really animated with any personality. Favreau did more expressions in The Jungle Book as well and those didn’t look bad.

I’ve tried photoshopping this and that from time to time, like trying to make Scar more heavily resemble his original design, but I’m sure it takes someone with genuine experience to basically take it from the ground up because I can’t do it for the life of me. It takes much more than just editing the saturation, that’s for sure, to fix this mess.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

They both look awful, but awful for different reasons. The movie itself, looks awful, due the lack of any emotions coming from the animals at all. And, the 'fix' looks awful, for being way too cartoony for the overall design. Both ways went way too far.

There is a nice middle ground somewhere, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Tim Rice made a podcast about the 1994 film and the remake, and he didn’t love the remake either. He was miffed that he and John felt overlooked by the remake’s production crew, which is also a sentiment John had. Also learned that in addition to Never Too Late, Rice and John made a second song called “Light of the World”, and he included John’s demo of the song, which never got used.

Never Too Late was written with the intention of being used for the scene where Simba returns to the Pride Lands, either sung by a choir or a character. Spirit was going to be the credits theme. Zimmer said in an interview in 2019 that he lobbied for it to be used in the film and it ended up in the return scene, and Never Too Late was used for the credits. Rice was annoyed by this since he felt like it just got shoved in somewhere.

Rice also mentions how Be Prepared was going to be cut before he was asked to rewrite lyrics to reflect the new dynamic between Scar and the hyenas, which Favreau did relate on the DVD commentary. He understands that Be Prepared is the least iconic of the five original songs since it’s a very plot driven song as opposed to immortal Circle of Life, love song Can You Feel, and kid-appeal songs Hakuna Matata and Can’t Wait to be King. He figured that’s why it was considered for deletion since it’s the least heard of the five songs. Nonetheless he didn’t like the new version like the rest of us. While Be Prepared is the least heard of the five songs in the context of The Lion King, it’s pretty much considered best villain song of all time behind Hellfire and the backlash proves that it is obviously beloved in its own right.

Rice also said he was more interested in a game of cricket going on during the premiere, and had to be asked by an usher to turn his phone off as the movie started. He and Prince Harry chatted about the game when they met and updated each other.

Loved hearing it to be honest. I hope he does a much longer in depth look at his work on the original film. He also has episodes where he talks about his contributions to other disney films and stage shows.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member