Disney's The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

I...Uh...

I mean, Scar's goal is certainly kind of fascistic from a certain point of view. No one is allowed to question or criticize him, even speak of certain things in his presence (or at all), he makes absurd demands in situations where demands simply can't be met, he'll throw anyone under the bus (or stampede) for his own ends...But really, the whole movie/story?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Just saw a leaked clip of Mufasa falling and... on one hand it’s kinda silly looking, on the other hand, damn it was brutal because
    Scar doesn’t just throw his ass down - he deliberately swipes into Mufasa’s eye to make him lose his place and fall. It didn’t look like it was graphic or anything but Scar looked like he was intending to rip Mufasa’s eye out before he died.

• Like Like x 1
  4. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

Wow... talk about unnecessary. The Lion King is proof that if the original isn't broke, don't bother. Aside from some very minor differences, the film is a copy-and-paste of the 1994 animated masterpiece. All the songs are the same, except the presentation of songs such as "I Just Can't Wait to Be King", "Be Prepared", and "Hakuna Matata" is not as good due to the film's attempt at "realism". And it's this sense of realism that makes the CGI animals devoid of facial emotion. The voice acting is simply there, as Donald Glover and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter don't really stand out. James Earl Jones is, well, James Earl Jones. And I feel sorry for Chiwetel Ejiofor, as Jeremy Irons left some very big shoes to fill in the role of Scar.

Also, when the original film premiered in 1994, every kid in the theater cried when Mufasa fell to his death. In this new version, no one in the theater cared.

Overall, stick to the original, as The Lion King is the most unnecessary retread in Disney's film catalog.

Rating: C-

• Like Like x 1
  5. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I thought the biggest complaint about the original was Simba's guilt being for nothing since he wasn't really the killer of his father yet the movie played it like it was a big character obstacle he needs to grow and overcome?

6. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'd also like to point out that Simba's baptism in the new version is, for the lack of terms, soulless. Rafiki is given zero time to bond with Simba, so there's no part where he rattles his Bakora Staff or where he spreads sand on Simba's head. Original scene below for reference.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

So now this is a thing!
    Creators of <em>The Lion King</em> Say Mufasa and Scar Aren't Related

If Scar and Mufasa weren't really related then why bother change Scar from a rogue lion unrelated to Mufasa and Simba to being related to them for "family drama" and now years later you say they weren't related anyway?

As if they were bonded in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chopperface

News Credits:
    That shit is two years old and debunked.

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I hope we can enjoy the film, without having to compare it too much with the original.

10. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I hope the next super-realistic remake is Bug's Life, 'cause it'd be just everyone freaking out over constant close-ups of arthropods speaking human words with their outrageous mouthparts :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  11. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Seeing it tomorrow night.

This movie means.. everything to me. This is my movie. It’s what I watched day in day out as a child. It’s what young me wanted to be, the kid who grew up and took responsibility. I wanted Mufasa to be my father. Scar was the villain of my childhood I feared and loved. The music was and is a part of my DNA. I can’t look at a sunrise or imagine a desert or think of a stampede without this movie coming to mind. Can You Feel the Love Tonight is in my iPod in literally a dozen iterations. This movie taught me about death and family and life and love and just.. Jesus, dudes. Circle of Life takes me on such a journey every time I listen to it.

And this remake being announced was something I was excited for since day one. I didn’t know what we’d get that morning in September 2016 when I woke up late on my day off from classes, seeing the announcement. I didn’t know if we’d get the nearly shot for shot remake we ultimately got, if they’d change too much, if they’d take out the songs.. I didn’t know.

But this movie - this legacy, I feel, is a part of me in so many ways that I was going to eat it up regardless. And I will... unless after tomorrow evening I decide it was really really bad. But Hans Zimmer And Lebo M’s theme “Lea Halalela”, better known as “This Land”, which permeates so much of the dynasty of The Lion King, sounds much, much older than 1994. It sounds like it belongs to an ancient, sacred land of such power and majesty that it predates humanity by eons. And I feel “Lea Halalela” and this movie in, for fucks sake, my soul, and have every day of the past 25 years.

I’m ready for this movie.

• Like Like x 1
  12. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    A pivotal scene taken out of context. Guess the scene.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Ugggh the movie was line for line the same as the original. The only scenes that were different was Nala leaving to find help and Scar pursing Sarabi to be his queen. That's it.

Got a few laughs, but not in the way that you'd expect. The way Mufasa died was just comedic at best. Geezus.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technical masterpiece. Everything looked so real...amazing.

But in the end - despite the fact I said I was expecting (and wanting) this to be a carbon copy of the original, just with realistic designs...it still felt a bit flat for me.

The reason is not so much the realistic look, but rather the realistic action portrayed. Most of the locales (especially the elephant graveyard) are boring in comparison to their cartoon counterparts, sure, but what annoyed me more was that in almost every scene of the original where a character was doing something cool (like leaping, rolling, jumping into water, etc), here they were all just...walking? Walking towards the next scene, where more walking occurs. Strange decision.

The stampede scene...just is not very exciting. The wildebeests don’t even run that fast. We see a shot of the hyena’s chasing them, but barely (unlike how in the original one of them is snapping at their legs). It’s a mess that just doesn’t have the impact of the original at all.

For some reason, despite being very faithful to the original, they still cut out bits of scenes and dialogues which lessened their impact. Yet felt the need to extend other scenes with mostly meaningless fluff. Again, strange (although I did enjoy the beginning of the movie with the little mouse - again, it all looks very real).

Timon and Pumbaa now no longer live alone, they are surrounded by a whole bunch of other animals living in their community. Which makes for one or two good jokes, but again...why? (And why would they accompany them to the Pride Lands in the final part bit of the film? You were living in a predator-free haven!!). A couple of fun meta jokes about the previous movie/Hakuna Matata hype, tho.

Beyoncé as Nala is distracting. Not just because she’s Beyoncé, but she basically talks like she sings, and every line is like a wave of water going up or down. Annoyed me, to be honest. Had no real issues with any other voices, although I can see people having issues with Scar. Seth Rogen as Pumbaa is perfect, by the way.

Didn’t mind the facial animations mostly (like I said, I was more annoyed with the actions), but ok: when characters are singing and belting, their mouths not opening wide enough looks super weird.

Thougt they handled the new style of ‘Can’t Wait To Be King’ very well. Was curious how they’d handle it without the style-change, they turned it into a song featuring baby animals. Loved the bit with the little cheetahs outrunning Simba and Nala.

So yeah....was not expecting this to be world-changing, but definitely was expecting a bit more. In the end, despite the (again) AMAZING technical achievement, this movie was in one word: pedestrian.

7.5 / 10 for me because I think it’s worth seeing for the graphics alone, but you don’t really need to see it in cinemas as far as I’m concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I actually laughed out loud during Mufasa's death. It was like a very very very expensive parody.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I’m not gonna lie I got bored during the parts they did the original script on auto play, and noticed some of the more demanding lines from James were reused audio from the original. Hey, the guy’s almost 90. Things definitely picked up when Timon and Pumbaa arrived, they were really great. Musical numbers were good.

• Like Like x 3
  17. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Goes to show that if you put reviews in order of helpfullness, this comes up on top on IMDB :D  Which is exactly what I have been saying since the first trailer.
    Seriously, they needed to hire Andy Serkis for this, not do it without any motion capture at all. The way the animals talk, it reminds me of those dumb Air Bud puppy movies, just with better CGI.
    LionKing.JPG

Oh and Doug's opinion: "Total shit"

Ohh, tell me more, as the song goes. How did they botch that emotional scene? Did Simba look like when Babe was asking his his owner whether he did right? :D  Except that movie was in 1995 and Jim Henson did the effects and actually made the animals emote better!
    "That'll do Simba. That'll do."

Well of course they did. They know what lions do to baby cheetahs if they catch them. It's not pretty. :( 

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I signed up for the Alamo Drafthouse's season pass program, so I'm going to be seeing this tonight.

19. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That sounds like you are drafted into the army to repeat the disaster at the Alamo... OK I am sure it is not about that, but it sounds bad.
    Then you'd like the Kir'Ko on Age of Wonders Planetfall! They made a totally alien insectoid race with multifaceted eyes still being very expressive using mandibles and general body posture and hand movement

Guess Washington Post will writer any nonsense as long as they can rile up emotions to have someone read them, so they can pretend newspapers aren't already dead... :D 

Like this part: With the lions standing in for the ruling class, and the “good” herbivores embodying society’s decent, law-abiding citizens, the hyenas transparently represent the black, brown and disabled bodies that are forcefully excluded from this hierarchical society. Noticeably marked by their ethnically coded “street” accents, the hyenas blatantly symbolize racist and anti-Semitic stereotypes of “verminous” groups that form a threat to society.

Yeah, sure, I bet that's why Whoopi Goldberg, who played in The Color Purple, agreed to voice Shenzi.
    Oh this gets even better:
    Simultaneously, his effeminate gestures and apparent lack of interest in heterosexual reproduction mark him as queer, like Jafar, Ursula and many other villains in Disney’s rigidly heterosexual world.
    Are they calling Scar... a negative gay stereotype??? Zira would have a few words about that.
    The.Lion.Guard.S01E20.Lions.of.the.Outlands.1080p.WEB-DL.AAC2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Warning double toasted video curses and adult jokes.

Ouch! I'll skip this one! I saw the 90s movie so i saw it anyway from the sound of it.