Disney's Live Action Snow White and The Seven Drawfs

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Oct 31, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Disney's Snow White: Gal Gadot Breaks Silence on Her Evil Queen Role

"It was amazing. It was an amazing experience. First of all, I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to play the first iconic villain ever. And to tell her story and to get into her shoes, I'm honored to do that. And it was great. She's so much different than anything that I have ever played before. And it was great to explore all of those differences, and to sing, and to dance. It was just delicious. And I enjoyed every moment with it."

• Like Like x 2
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    This film.

3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot they are doing it, but now I remember the outrage among actors who wanted to play the dwarves when Peter Dinklage started speaking for all of them.
    So who is playing Snow White, then?
    EDIT: Ah... Rachel Zegler - IMDb
    Shouldn't the movie be called "Coffee Beige" then? Seriously, how will the actor playin the dad say with a straight face "she has skin as white as snow, let's name her Snow White!"!?!
    It's really getting to be 2+2=5 these days with Hollywood. All doublethink and newspeak. We are just supposed to watch and accept the lie as truth.

May Gal got too much into her role and tried to kill Snow White even outside shootings. :p 

Good for him! He was pretty good in Pirates.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Rachel Zegler, who is of Colombian descent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks, looked up on IMDB, see my comments in my previous post.

6. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

What lie? Is it a lie if this has been the norm for a long time? Hollywood has a loooooong history of putting white actors in the roles of Latin, Asian, Native American, Indian, black, etc characters. If we’re making a point about matching a characters physical appearance, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

At this point I’m more interested in seeing if the actor pull off the part well.

• Like Like x 3
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Snow White Remake Star Responds to 'Woke' Criticisms: 'It Is - Because It Needed That'

Zegler has since responded to criticisms about her casting as Snow White, notably because she is of Latin descent. "At the end of the day, I have a job to do that I'm really excited to do. I get to be a Latina princess."

"People are making these jokes about ours being the PC Snow White, where it’s like, yeah, it is — because it needed that," the 21-year-old actor said in response to the criticism. "It’s an 85-year-old cartoon, and our version is a refreshing story about a young woman who has a function beyond ‘Someday My Prince Will Come.'"

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Guess she never watched Mirror, Mirror. That was also more than "Someday my Prince will come". :lol 

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah, and it has been declared as being “bad”.
    But for some reason this isn’t held to the same standard.

I myself would be more sympathetic if there was more consistency. If the one way is bad, then so should be the other.
    If the other way is good, then so should the one way.

10. Ramberk Magnus

I mean… the folks who are complaining now didn’t complain when it happened in the past. We should ask them why it didn’t matter in the past but now it does.

Whenever this topic comes up, it makes me think of how in the past, some actors weren’t even consider for certain roles because they didn’t “look” the part. And then I think how someone like Giancarlo Esposito would have been pigeonholed into certain roles and overlooked for others. How less interesting the Mandalorian or The Boys would be without him being the baddie.

He’s basically playing the role of Lex Luther and I can’t think of any other live-action Lex Luther that’s even vaguely memorable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    People didn’t complain back then because other people are complaining now. Albeit selectively.

Same question but going the other way now.
    Scarlett Johansson kinda looks like The Major, yet the outcry about race swapping went to the moon and back.

So why aren’t the same people defending race swapping here defending the race swapping there?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ramberk Magnus

Two reasons:
    1. Race swapping historically has been replacing non-white characters with white actors. Like 99% of the time. But it’s not just about the race swapping but about actors not even getting invited to the audition.

Does Scarlet Johansson need help landing roles? Is she losing roles because she doesn’t have the “right look”? Are folks questioning her skills when she does land a role? Non-white actors faced those problems in the past and present. So it’s frustrating they’re not even considered for a role when they fit the race of the character. What Asian actors were even considered for The Major?

It’s like, you’re more interested in equal outcry for all race swapping (or none at all) but less interested in the the huge history of one group of actors largely getting ignored and overlooked. The outcry exists or doesn’t exist because of the historical context.

2. This is a fictional merwoman. Not sure how or why fantasy characters have a racial identity.

I don’t blame Hollywood for choosing ScarJo for The Major’s role. She’s the biggest female action movie star back then and today. It’s financially logically. I blame Hollywood for not cultivating more young Asian actors.

I love Michelle Yeoh but I would have thought it would have been a mistake if she had been cast as The Major (aged out and doesn’t have the needed athleticism).

• Like Like x 1
  13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Snow White is not a mermaid in this?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh good, someone else was also confused by the mention of Little Mermaid in a Snow White thread... thought I was in the wrong thread for a moment.

• Like Like x 3
  15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Pretty much.
    Because I’m interested in equality, not double standards or payback.

16. Ramberk Magnus

It’s funny that it’s only begun to matter now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    all Disney's recent live-action adaptations have been soulless trainwrecks but the mere concept of this one just feels especially insulting.

18. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”

• Like Like x 1
  19. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Because we’ve been seeing more double standards as of late.

20. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

The actual double standard we have is when we have a white actor/actress cast in a traditionally non-white role, its assumed to be because of their talent or marketability, but when a non-white actor/actress is cast in a traditionally white role, its a "diversity hire."

• Like Like x 2