Disney's Black Hole is 40!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  2. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

I always liked the Cygnus, Making it darker than the surrounding space was a cool directorial choice. It really set the mood for that film.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

Love that movie since I was a kid. Once a month I put it on when I go to bed to the fall asleep to.

My deep exploration ship in Elite Dangerous is named the Cygnus

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I always figured the end sequence was about all of them traveling somewhere outside of time and space. Reinhardt's obsession with the anomaly combined with his psychotic mind trapped him there. It's where he wanted to be, and that's where he remained, albeit unwillingly. The aspect of Hell is his being trapped and surrounded by the men he labotomized.

In contrast, the survivors of the Palomino just wanted to get through, and that kept them focussed on getting out. The aspect of the "angel" is, IMO, their collective consciousness staying the course and actually travelling "in...through...and beyond."

5. Wolfguard

Actually....the more I think about it, I'm of the opinion The Black Hole is really a horror movie set in space:

The Palomino is akin to a cross-country bus

Bus needs to make a stop for supplies and fuel, and the only place that's around is a creepy, dark mansion

Mansion is owned by a reclusive man who's essentially a mad scientist playing with the dark arts

You have Frankenstein's monster - Maximillian
    Zombies - the crew
    Golems - Sentry Robots
    Demons - the asteroid storm
    Igor - B.O.B.

The anomaly is the gateway to the netherworld

Maybe I'm way off, but the movie plays like a soft horror film with its imagery, tone, characters, and overall story. Only took me 40yrs to make this conclusion...

:drunk 

• Like Like x 4
  6. NSJ23

NSJ23 can’t think of something witty..

watched this last night because of this post, had been meaning to watch it anyway. still love it and it’s strange ending.

7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

First watched this on my grandparents' Betamax player in the 80's.
    Yeah, I didn't understand the ending, but that scene where Reinhardt's face drifts into the screen scared the stew out of me.

Very dark for a Disney movie. Disney gets credit for attempting something so different from their standard family fare, but I figure that's why it failed at the BO. Just not what the public was expecting from a Disney movie.

8. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You are correct. Everything you mentioned is what’s good about the movie. It needs a remake.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It also came out a few weeks after star trek the movie!

At the time Disney other then their rereleases of their classic films was not doing good. No one over the age of 10 would dare watch a Disney film and they were still making live action films in the 40s slapstick. Disney started making more adult films to get updated. They even did a PG animated film black cauldron that got it's butt kicked by the care bears movie! It got so bad Disney hid the Disney name on tex, tron, black hole and trenchcoat! This would change later and the "neon mickey" 80s vhs tapes did well at video stores but it would take roger rabbit and little mermaid to turn Disney around!

Black hole did get a comic book sequel after the films releasel so there is a follow up in comic form!

Original film comic!

[​IMG]

Newspaper comic strip done by jack kirby!

[​IMG]

Follow up comic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

Yeah, I was 5 when my mom took me to see The Fox & The Hound in theatres...and I just remember it being very "meh". I honestly don't remember if I saw The Black Cauldron on original release, but I've watched the DVD it's a really lackluster film; good visuals but the characters are paper-thin.

11. Wolfguard

Also, what a great score by John Barry. From James Bond, to King Kong, to Dances With Wolves, to this, he had such a talent for conveying deep emotions via his music.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

I just found out it came out on Blu-ray this past August! :cool:  *goes to Ebay to buy copy*