Disney may end up losing the copyright to Mickey Mouse if new proposed Bill passes.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kaijuguy19, May 26, 2022.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but that's honestly a separate issue. When someone does something wrong you go after them for that thing. The bill this thread is talking about is obviously retaliation for what happened here in Florida and the quote from the Senator who penned it basically says so without outright saying it. What should bother people just as much as "Disney wielding too much power" is members of our government blatantly retaliating against something said by the company. Where does that stop once it gets started? Especially considering that corporations are supposed to have the same First Amendment rights as individuals. Seems like many people in the government didn't have an issue with Disney when they were on their side but they say "hey, we don't stand by this decision and will actively fight against it" and now suddenly the government cares. Seriously, let's not pretend that the senators and governors involved in these issues have suddenly found their inner trust buster.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Little more complicated than that and it would only be the steamboat willy version they could use for the first few years, but within 10 years or so would have access to a more modern version. Mickey was going to public domain anyway in a few years under the current rules. I think Steam Boat Willy becomes public domain in 2024. But if they back dated like they are talking about anyone could use a more modern version of Mickey. Either way unless the law is changed, he goes public domain anyway in a couple years. So it isn't as much of a threat as people are making out.

3. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Banned

No. They've always been able to do that and remain able to now.

4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    And here I was looking at a Disneyland trip this year with nothing to worry about.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of this will affect your trip to Disneyland.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I mean, you still can go to Disney and not worry about anything. Whatever happens, it's not likely to affect the theme parks being open at all.

7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Well you do have to worry about how much they are over charging people for visiting Disneyland these days, but that's about it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Thanks.

Been thinking negative for months lately and was hoping this trip will make me think positive in the future.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread. Nothing further to post to this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kind of in the same opinion; Mickey Mouse should stay with Disney, just like Superman should stay with WB/DC, because people are just going to flood the market with their version the character.

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Nothing wrong with the public domain, some famous movies have happened because the characters were in the public domain.

11. Megastar

News Credits:
    No one ever said the public domain was bad, but we both know that as soon as Mickey Mouse or something else just as popular goes into the public domain, it will be nothing but cash grabbing crap and I think most of these movies were made when people had even forgotten the original stories they were inspired by. I mean as a kid I thought all of Disney's princess movies were their original creation and not just adaptations.

• Like Like x 3
  12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    This is all going to be a bit weird to see in action.

For public domain literary works, the characters are left to a certain degree of interpretation/imagination. Characters created for visual media first, with defined looks and characteristics entering public domain, though, I can't imagine anything but confusion and struggles with companies trying to undercut or supersede one another to create a "definitive" version for maximum profit leveraging.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    It will be for a couple years then it will stabilize and the only version they can use any way at first is steamboat willy who didn't even talk. Then once a more standard version of Mickey becomes public domain you may see a very well done adaptation. Sherlock Holmes went through this as well and we got Sherlock the TV series and the Downy Jr movies. We got some bad ones as well but no one remembers those. Because they were bad they were ignored and faded away, same thing will happen when Mickey goes public domain.

What happens when something goes public domain is more people are able to adapt it and the best versions will be the ones that are remembered. But you will get that because there won't be a license fee, and it will be cheaper to produce and there isn't someone saying what they can and can't do with the character.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Megastar

News Credits:
    You might be right, but I hope you're not implying that the Elementary tv show was bad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    No I just didn't feel like listing every single Sherlock Holmes project out there since it went public domain. It would take too long. So I named the most popular recent ones. But if it hadn't been public domain, the Sherlock heirs could have said no to the female Watson from Elementary. But since it was public domain the show creators could do what they wanted. Which can lead to a new take on the character and innovations.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Yeah, my hope here is that trying to shift the characters' image away from its creator/primary owner proves too difficult to make headway on, and the whole issue just sorts itself out as a matter of course.

• Like Like x 1
  17. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    HOW IN THE HELL AM I JUST LEARNING THAT LION KING WAS ADAPTED FROM HAMLET?!?

18. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

And Lion King 2 is Romeo and Juliet, while Lion King 1/2 is Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

• Like Like x 4
  19. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Unleash the KOs!

71U9tzQ6G5L._AC_SL1330_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another thing I thought of: Pooh can't sound anything like the Disney one since i'm guessing voices are able to be copywrited/trademarked since Disney created the way he sounds.

• Like Like x 4