Disney Hercules live-action adaptation

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Apr 30, 2020.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Hercules: Russo Bros, Shang-Chi Writer Attached to Live-Action Remake

So this is really happening. And it's got MCU crew attached to it.

I hope to see good actors cast for my favourite characters Meg and Hades. I loved how Meg was so unlike a Disney princess - she was snarky and cynical, and yet so vulnerable. And Hades, well, his motormouth hammy performance was a definite show-stealer. Whoever is playing them better do them justice - and I do hope Woods can reprise the role, though we'll see.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    James Woods or no deal.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'll probably CGI him or get someone who can sing and act, while looking intimidating.

4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Or maybe give him a motion caption job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Personally I'd prefer they do the Marvel version, he's more fun
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Starring Dwayne Johnssss-oh, I guess not...

• Like Like x 2
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    HERCULES: The Russo Brothers Say The Live-Action Remake Won't Be A "Literal Translation"

"Both us and our kids are Hercules fanatics," said Anthony, when asked how they became involved with the highly anticipated project. "And we had heard that Disney was interested in revisiting it and we’re in love with the original. And we made a case as to why we felt we would be right to produce that film and here we are."

As for how they intend to pay homage to the original film, he added: "Well, I think you always have to bring something new to the table because from our perspective as storytellers, it’s not compelling for us to do a literal translation. We’ve already done that with our Marvel films."

"We don’t do literal translations because we feel like if you want that story you can go read that story. We’re going to give you a different story. I think we’ll do something that’s in the vein of the original and inspired by it, but we also bring some new elements to the table.

What does that mean for those iconic songs? "We can’t say one way or the other," Anthony continued, noting, "Music will certainly be a part of it."

Well, as a Disney musical it has to keep the songs.

But there are parts that can be covered. Like Meg's past with her old lover, why Hades didn't check that baby Herc was finished off, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Throw the whole fucking shit in the trash if it’s not a damn fun musical. Russos can do fun. MAKE IT FUN.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sounds fun! Love Hercules.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have faith that the Russo Bros. can pull this off. They'd better because this is one of my favorite Disney animated films from my teen years.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I have a soft spot for this movie, even if it is Disney's essential take on the Superman mythos - or perhaps just bringing the story full circle to one of its logical inspirations - but lets be real here. Unless they back a dump truck full of money up to James Woods' house to come play Hades IRL, which would work cos Woods has gone on record that he'll play Disney's Hades any time he's asked, we're not gonna have near as much fun. And singing ain't an issue because Hades doesn't have a musical number so lack of musical talent is not a barrier to hiring Woods.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe Taika Waititi should have done this movie since he did a god like movie and made it fun.

13. There D Hood

There D Hood Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Let's hope so because Favreau helming The Lion King ended up not doing it any favors. While not perfect, the originals are timeless classics that don't need to be remade, at least not the way Disney's going about it. So far, even talented directors can't save these. It really makes me wonder how much of a say they have.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    That's true, but in contrast, I thought Favreau's Jungle Book was really well done and seems to get high praise from many people. The problems I personally had with Lion King are that ...for some odd reason... made a film that changed very little from the original and also decided to make the animals not emote ...after successfully doing so in Jungle Book. I suppose Disney may have given Favreau less control over Lion King or Favreau himself may have not wanted to change too much from the original, but either way, Lion King was indeed mediocre. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with Hercules until I see something that makes me think it's not going to work. Mostly because I've enjoyed the majority of Disney's live-action remakes and only a few have been not to my personal liking.

15. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    >Russo Brothers

Well shit, now I wanna give this one the benefit of the doubt

• Like Like x 1
  16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

The performance for Descendants 3 wasn't bad. I could really picture him as Hades again however I don't want THIS again.

[​IMG]

Specifically that wig. I don't like how it looks, I can see what they were going for but it just doesn't work. He looks like he's having a midlife crisis and is trying way too hard to dress in the popular style of today's youth which really distracts and takes away from his actual performance as the character.

As long as you're not looking at him in that dumb outfit with that even dumber wig, his performance is pretty well on par with the original actor from the animated movie. So what funny at times like he's doing a stand up act but also able to turn on a time and be really intimidating as well.

The funnier moments don't work as well because you're focused on his appearance rather than anything he's doing or saying. The intimidating moments are even worse because it's kind of impossible to look like a threat when you're a middle aged man dressed like a teenager who shops at hot topic.

I'd really like to see him wearing something closer to the robes Hades wore in the animated movie where it tapers off into smoke at the bottom and make him BALD. Like his hair is suppose to be fire not a troll wig that sort of looks like his fire hair but not really. There's actually a couple points in the movie where his wig actually burns like you would expect for Hades but those were moments where in the cartoon it would of turned red and spread more across his entire body but this version... it barely changes, it's like just adding a fiery glow to the wig which really doesn't doesn't add much.

So yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him play the role again... but just never use that damn wig again.

• Like Like x 1
  17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Avengers Directors Update Disney’s Hercules Remake From Wonder Woman 1984 Writer

Avengers directors Anthony and Joe Russo say they're "still in the process of finding" the heart of Disney's live-action Hercules, the Russo-produced remake of the 1997 animated film.

"We have an incredible writer on it, Dave Callaham, and he's off on script. We should be seeing something in the next week or two, I think," Joe Russo told Collider.

Asked if Hercules will carry over the original film's music, Russo said, "We're keeping that all under wraps for now. We want the audiences to have some discoveries about what's fresh about our take."

"These are projects that are in the early days and there's a long road of sort of creative experimentation that goes on before we really know what the movie is," Anthony said.

18. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Lets hope that can have a antagonist god who'd actually be a villain like Hera, Poseidon, or Ares.

19. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

Hera being the only one who was an antagonist to Hercules in the original story

• Like Like x 2
  20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And Ares was the guy that Hades was in Disney's Hercules (it's the reason Legendary journey's used him as an antagonist). Plus if any of Zeus's brothers was going to overthrow him it would be the one salty about how things worked out, that's Poseidon. Hades was perfectly content with his role in things and indifferent to mortals opinion of him. Depending on which myth you read.

Basically Hades ain't Satan, keep your Jesus outta mah Greek myths.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 7