Disney completes $4 Billion Acquisition of Lucasfilm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Perhaps. At the very least, I'm sure there was a multi-year contract that was being renewed constantly, so I don't think Star Wars will be leaving Dark Horse anytime soon.

Same with Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. Despite belonging to the Enemy (WB), they'd have to wait for that arrangement to end.

2. Stryker055

Stryker055 Embrace your contradictions

Ebay:
    It's been confirmed that future Star Wars TV shows will be moved to Disney XD. I'd imagine TCW will complete this season on CN and move to DXD for its sixth and likely final season, if not just finish up entirely on CN due to contracts.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still think Disney will launch a new show after this season ends.

4. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I fail to see why, Hasbro didn't lose the Marvel Toy rights when Disney took over that company.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I also wonder where Hasbro is going to fit into all this. Currently, they produce Star Wars and Marvel toys, but much of Disney's product is produced by Mattell (Cars, Toy Story, etc.) Will Disney keep splitting its products across these two producers, or favor one completely, which would probably put the other at a massive disadvantage?

6. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think he means either when the contract is up, or when sales dip so low Disney just buys out the remaining contract.

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Hasbro most likely has contracts in place that allow them to still make Marvel toys. Those contracts don't just get voided out because of a sale in most cases.

It's when those contracts expire that Disney can opt not to renew with Hasbro.

8. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I would imagine that to be the case, considering Dark Horse actually re-released the SW comics Marvel did from the late 70's to the mid 80's.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I have no idea what to make of this news. I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977, and never could have imagined Lucas selling it off.

Maybe now we can get the original theatrical cuts on Blu-Ray...

10. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It'd be hilarious that somewhere in the contract it stated that the original cuts couldn't be released anymore.

Just as one final slap in the face from Lucas.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, I really can't imagine Star Wars not being with Hasbro, I mean, they've had it since they bought Kenner, right?

Mattel currently has the DC license, so at the very least, I don't see the Marvel toys moving over, but anything could happen.

12. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I can see it now: Star Wars: Episode VII: Retirement of the Jedi

13. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I don't see what's the big deal... it's "Disney bought Marvel" all over again.

What have we got from Marvel after the acquirement? Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, THE AVENGERS, The Amazing Spider Man. Did any of those bombed in the box office or happened to be terrible movies? Not that I know.

And it's not like the DC movies got terrible or turned into a laughing stock because they were acquired by Warner Bros.-The creators of the Loony Tunes.

And I'm not speaking as a Star Wars nerd. I've only watched the original trilogy and know nothing else of the universe besides that.

14. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Fixed.

15. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Honestly, the big wigs at Hasbro have to be sweating bullets right now as what was once a sure thing for a contract renewal is now not such a sure thing, as Mattel and Disney have some ties together.

The only thing that guarantees Hasbro a contract renewal is if they start doing awesome sales numbers and well... anyone who is a Star Wars or Marvel fan can tell you how shitty Hasbro is at distribution. They really messed up with Star Wars this year. If I'm Disney, I certainly don't want Hasbro ruining my franchise the way Hasbro screwed up this year.

To me, it seemed Hasbro got complacent with their licenses so let's hope this reignites that fire in them.

16. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Granted DC stuff from Mattel sees no better distribution.

17. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Disney is probably screwed no matter which company they go with :lol 

At least with Hasbro we get articulation.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

The way I see it, Hasbro is to Toys as Disney is to Mass Media Entertainment. Mattel may own the rights to Pixar properties, however they have consistently failed! at making profits in the boys toy aisles and even the girls toy aisles have to fight tooth and nail to stay out on top with Barbie.

Disney would not abandon Hasbro, just like they won't abandon LEGO with the licensing agreement they have being as lucrative as it is.

Logically, while it does seem to make more sense to keep everything under one roof, financially it might be more cost effective to continue allowing things to play out as they are now. While sales continue to fair below averages in these economic times profitability may yet still be viable to maintain the status quo. (Also I refuse to ever think that Mattel could handle Star Wars figures as well as Hasbro has prooven themselves to the fans. Look at Mattels DC brands, those things are flat out repulsive to older collectors and even kids know better than to fall for those pathetic excuses for toys. Or I'd like to think they do.)

We are safe, we shall have Hasbro and we shall be... At peace.

19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

This might come off as blasphemy to some, but I've often thought a 6 inch Star Wars toyline could work. If sculpted right, it would be the only thing to get be to collect Star Wars figures again.

20. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Consider yourself lucky, at least in terms of movies. There are a lot of great book series out there.

Maybe now one of the greatest PC games of all time will get a revamp, Tie Fighter!
    I'm not sure how this is such bad news to be honest. I guess with Lucas not in control anymore there is a chance of Clone Wars being cancelled, but I have been thoroughly disappointed with Lucas's handling of things since the late 90's. As for new movies, I would love to see the Thrawn trilogy too. If they went with the New Jedi Order they could still cast Harrison Ford since he is old man Han Solo in that series. Those two book series totally blow the prequel trilogy out of the water.