Disney completes $4 Billion Acquisition of Lucasfilm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paladin, Oct 30, 2012.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Adapt The Thrawn Trilogy or just leave it alone.

2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't understand the problem here - it's not like Disney will make a worse film than Episode 1 or 2...

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No. Recasting OT characters should be completely out of the question.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Actually, I think this is a good thing. Maybe Disney can finally turn around the SW franchise and be more about movies than reproducing the same figures over and over. It's clear Disney did something right when The Avengers came out, and all of the other movies too. This may be what the SW franchise actually needs.

5. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, didn't think of that...

leave it alone then.

6. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    AND we might get an OT Bluray set - the original, non-f'ed with versions! :) 

7. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I dunno... this might be a good thing, taking the Star Wars franchise out of Lucas's hands. The original trilogy was good because he had different directors and his (now ex) wife actually re-wrote his godawful scripts into the movies we know and love.

Then we have the prequels... both written and directed by Lucas completely... and... well.. yeah.

So I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach here.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's amazing the kind of reactions we're seeing ...

9. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Exactly. Can't be worse than Jar-Jar and lil' Annie. This is a good thing.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Disney's strategy of market aquisitions as a media empire for the last 5 years has been pretty shrewd, and I think is a sign of a smart, if not simply observant management team. Disney basically maintains a stranglehold on girl's licensing franchises these days, there's a couple other brands in terms of media and merchandising outside their purview, but the fucking juggernaut that is the Disney Princess universe is probably endlessly profitable. But they didn't have any sort of equivalent for boys. The Pixar and "Micky" brands do well across the board with both genders (especially young customers), and the Cars franchise especially so with very young boys, but the big leagues in terms of action figures, cartoons/movies, and licensed goods rested with other brands. So Disney did the natural thing: Buy some of the best performers available, namely Marvel, and now, Lucasfiilm/Star Wars. This will allow them to better compete on their networks and in the Disney store as a massive, universal media conglomerate, licenser, and merchandiser.

Right, like Disney doesn't have a history of running the properties it owns into the ground through overmerchandising and repetition.

Which will be available at a premium for 4 months before it goes back into the "vault" for a couple years.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Oh wow, I saw people talking about an Episode 7 on twitter and figured it was all a big what if?

Cue Star Wars Kinect: The Movie.

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

My first reaction to that Bolded part was to literally :lol  and now to hear that it could be true... I'm sorry, but how the hell do they plan to make an Episode 7 that is even going to be halfway decent in only two years?

So now Disney has Star Wars and Marvel, does this mean we're going to see a Star Wars movie enter the Marvel Cinematic Universe via Cross Over?

13. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Wonder what this does for the future 3-D Rerelases.

14. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

Lucas, we went through the prequels. A lot of people supported you. Now, all hope is lost.

15. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't know why some people are crying about this, Lucasfilm hasen't made any decent cinema since Last Crusade and Star Wars has been a Disney-style family merchandising franchise for at least 13 years. Plus the mouse will do a far better job of preserving the back catalogue then Lucas ever has.

17. anikenvader

anikenvader Hero for hire

News Credits:
    I honestly do not see how this the worst thing ever.
    Lucas was told before the prequels that they were a bad move. Dislike them all you want, that is neither here nor there. But understand; Had it not been for Disney, Marvel would not have been able to pull off this AMAZING cross-cinematic-universe. Yes, the movies were good before Disney, but all it was was this:
    Marvel: "Daaaaad.....me and Tommy wanna make a cinematic universe and actually make it gooood....can I have some money?"
    Papa Disney:"Ahah, why sure son. Here's several Million dollars, have a ball, scamp."
    And the day went on. Dinsey is pretty much just an endorsement for Marvel. The movie was called "Marvel's: The Avengers", Not "Disney's Marvel's Super Hero Squad". They bought Lucasfilm L.T.D, not just Star Wars. Lucas Film will still exist, though with the funding of Disney, new creative teams, and George OUT. I also cannot fathom why they would want to make Episode 7 WITHOUT having a good idea, seeing the piss-poor reception of the prequels.
    While I'm not trying to dictate your opinion on the deal, please understand this has happened before and it was only, a good thing. Hell, it may suck, and if it does, I won't say "I thought it'd be good" though I DO have high hopes. And if it sucks, I'll put my foot in my mouth and say "Well, aw well. That was a fun fan-fic-film" And I'll walk out, happy with the concept. But hey, not everyone has such an objective point-of-view, and that's okay. But, hey, who knows~

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I just got a text from a buddy of mine who works at Lucasfilm and he said they are doing Episodes 7, 8 and 9, not just 7.

19. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

"we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

I am looking forward to this.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    10 minutes into owning LucasFilm, we already have a confirmation of Episodes 7, 8, and 9. Fuck me.