Disliking "good" toys and liking "bad" toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, Jul 31, 2014.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A good toy that's liked that I dislike? Beast Hunters Voyager Prime.

A bad toy that's disliked that I like? PRID Airachnid.

2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

He's ridiculously complicated and as screen accurate as any movie toy. Very impressive. I'll admit he's not much fun, but I love the effort put into him.

3. Rodimus530

Rodimus530 Active Member

Figures I like that most don't: I love AoE leader class grimlock. He was the only figure of AoE that I was hell bent on getting. The other figures were just if I stumbled upon them in the store.

Figures I don't like that most people like: I am not a huge fan of any alternators. They have too much kibble, and most of the robot modes look too much alike. They lack personality. I keep the few I have in alt mode.

4. Kiresu

Kiresu Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely despise movie Starscream, yes, all of them. As far as something I liked, all of the 'beasts' from Beast Hunters.

5. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    Another vote for TM2 Scavenger here, but I am starting to think he doesn't qualify as "hated" despite being a pegwarmer in his day. A lot of folks seemed to have learned to appreciate him over the years.

I also like PRID Thundertron, who didn't seem to be well-received by the fans. I am trying to get all the versions currently out there for a reasonable price (got 2 of 3 so far).

However, the really big one that I love and others truly despise is Beast Changer (AKA Noble/Savage). I understand the hate, and I admit its an objectively poor TF, but I love the goofy thing, and I love that Hasbro tried to do something new and unique, and I wish they tried more experiments like him - we can learn great things even from failure!

Finally, there is really nothing I "hate" that others love. "Hate" is a very strong word, and we are talking about toys, FFS. There are plenty of things I don't understand the love for and would not buy for myself, however:

MP Rodimus, any version - just the aesthetic. Yes, it is 'toon accurate, but I frankly am not fond of the 'toon model! Also, I literally feel bad for those who do like him because of all the many and various build issues.

Most of the show-accurate PRID figures - I like some, I really love PRID Arcee for being so well-articulated, but mostly, I don't care for (yet again!) the aesthetic. However, they are not bad toys! Except Airachnia. There's just no excuse for that.

Bayformers - again, I like a handful, but I mostly dislike (say it with me!) the aesthetics. Aesthetics, aesthetics, aesthetics! On the other hand, I have all the AoE Dinobots and like their goofy selves (even Slash!), and I know a lot of folks strongly disagree with me on that!