Disliking "good" toys and liking "bad" toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutobotSkids, Jul 31, 2014.

1. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Okay, I'm sure we all like a Transformer that has been declared "bad" by the fandom, and I'm even more sure that we've all gotten ahold of a highly acclaimed toy and thought "Wow, seriously? This is the toy that people have been going nuts over?"

For exampe: I actually like TF1 Jazz. I have the premium series one, and I think he's fun! I like his transformation, I love his paint apps, but I admit that he could be more film accurate and more articulated.

Meanwhile, I think RotF Mixmaster is overrated. I have him and his flimy kibble ruins the toy for me.

2. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Story of my life. Seriously. Before the AOE toyline I was basically like "oh the majority of the TF fandom hates this guy I better pick him up.". There is a bit of overlap though in what is truly great and what is truly terrible, so I think I just have different expectations for what I want my transformers toys to be like than other people's expectations.

3. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like mixmaster only because i find it fun positioning the kibble in different ways, but i DEFINITELY understand how someone could find it annoying.

i hate jazz.. the premium paint helped, but it still just didn't look very good. the human alliance version however is gorgeous.

anyways.. i don't think anyone hates voyager TFP starscream.. i think it's far superior than the first edition.

some people like the generations minicon team.. but i hated it so much that i had to return it. it's just awful. same with whirl. lots of people seem to like it.. but i just find that it lacks focus and it's REALLY disappointing because the character is so cool and the figure could've been as well. but it's not.

oh.. and this is a cool topic by the way.

4. griffn29

As far as subversive opinions go:

I like rid knockout. The paint distribution isn't great, but I think it's a great core design with a unique transformation. It suffers a bit from being on the small side, but I think that to really deserves a repaint of some kind so that people can realize how great it is.

I'm not a fan of the ROTF leader optimus prime and by extension the related voyager class toy of similar design. The transformation is to complicated for me and I'm not a fan of the proportions the legs have. I'm much more a fan of the DOTM voyager optimus toy, granted I keep his arms in the gorilla position as opposed to having a forward elbow joint because I
    It looks better. It has a different transformation and that's good.

AOE slash is crap. I'm sorry. Between the dull rubber axes and completely off proportions on the robot mode, I was genuinely surprised when I checked out the feedback for that toy and found out it was majority positive.

Although, I like the RID vehicon, like most people (being able to get one now for a reasonable price helps quite a bit in that regard), and concur that RID Airachnid is terrible. Just bad.

Because I grew up between Armada and the Robots in Disguise toyline, I tend to prefer figures that are a mix between the two design styles for the most part. Just for nogstalgia's sake sometimes, you know?

5. griffn29

Yeah, for the minicon team the individual modes are alright, but I really am not a fan of the combined mode, with the limited articulation of the legs and wierdly proportioned arms...

And whirl too was a bit of a flip for me. I don't know if people actually like that toy, but before it came out I really wanted to get one. Having it in hand however, the robot mode is fine but the helicopter mode is so squat and akward... Also, the knee ratchets were too tight for me. I accidently snapped his left set of calf flanges trying to transform him this one time, and I haven't really touched him since.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

People like Mixmaster? I don't

7. AKSpartan1661

AKSpartan1661 Cool Cat & Sub-Commander

News Credits:
    LOVE the Movie 1 Jazz mold. That's the toy that got me into Transformers, and I have 5 versions of it.

I think the MP-11 remold is overrated. I have Thundercracker, but he's just too kibbly in my opinion.

8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    ROTF Blazemaster. I love it quite a bit. I have all three of the decos now, and the trio stand as some of my most beloved transformers toys.

The toy I hate most in recent memory? Prime Wheeljack. I still have no idea how people like this thing. It's criminally crippled in the arm department. A crime because he absolutely needs a bicep swivel for the sake of swordsman poses.

9. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Beast Wars Transmetal Scavenger is an amazingly underrated toy. Great posablility, awesome drill-hands, sweet beast mode, interesting third mode, unique transformation, and a totally maniacal headsculpt.

I kinda get why some people would be turned off by his insect leg kibble, but frankly, I look at it like a peacock, if you splay it out and make it look threatening, it actually works in his FAVOR. It's simply shameful that he's so infamous as a shelf-warmer.

I'll throw another vote at Mixmaster as not liking it at all. Moreso, though, I'm just not a fan of the Classics Seeker mold. At all. Had a Thundercracker, and he did absolutely nothing for me. Both the recent Legends and FOC seeker molds are vastly superior, and I use the FOC guys as my seekers. Love the FOC guys to death.

10. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    Mixmaster is awesome because of his accuracy to the cgi model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, I think both dotm deluxe and HA Soundwave were terrible.

11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    kinda eerie how much i agree with these. that blazemaster mold is amazing hut that wheeljack mold is awkward, fiddly and looks like shit.

i hate aoe scorn, he's boring as hell with no notable articulation except his dino head.

12. griffn29

A lot of people like generations crosshairs, and I like the base figure of that toy too, but I can't put up with the static trench coat he has on his back. I wish it had a wider range of articulation so that it doesn't feel like it gets in the way as much when I try to pose his limbs.

13. griffn29

Also, I sort of like Generations AOE voyager grimlock I guess? I also bought all the members of foc bruticus and like to just swap the limbs around on that. Foc jazz is good. I like blitzwing better than voyager springer, and I don't really know if the fandom has as much of a clear aggregate opinion that its easy to tell what they do and do not like over all. Honestly, sometimes I don't even know what kind of figures I really like half the time.

The kind of transformers figures I prefer are ones that are effectively designed over anything else. It goes from a good vehicle mode that holds together to a well proportioned robot mode via an efficient transformation. And I don't even mind shelled parts, if its a well executed action of cost effectiveness, the more hollow bits the better. (In fact, doing so much with so little is half the reason why I like the FOC jazz toy so much). I'm also partial to cool color schemes, but after the aforementioned. Basically, I prefer the boring but well crafted over the exciting but with minor flaws toys. If Hasbro came out with a cool transformer that epitomizes all of the values to its design that I just mentioned, it would probably be the only transformer toy i'd own. Just sell the rest off.

14. ZeroBG82

ZeroBG82 Well-Known Member

So many... RID Knockout, MP-9 Rodimus, FP Diesel, FP Defender, Generations Skids, AOE leader Grimlock. Most of my favorite TF's seem to be disliked to hated by the boards here.

And figures I dislike that everyone loves? That's easy, Generations Springer! I can't stand his robot mode, with those skinny little twig legs, and his helicopter mode doesn't peg/tab together at all. Plus I think the helicopter mode just doesn't look right. Great car mode though. I honestly prefer the Sandstorm remold in every way.

15. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I consider 20th Prime the most overrated Transformer ever.

I dislike Generations Springer since he refuses to hold together in either altmode, and because he looks like IDW Springer rather than the classic version.

I think ROTF Leader Prime is an overcomplicated, frustrating mess to transform.

I think the FOC Seeker mold feels unfinished. At the very least, it should have landing gear so you can display it in jet mode properly.

Unpopular figures I like:

BM Deluxe Primal. Great posability, fun unintrusive action features

AOE 1st edition Prime - Looks great, decent posability, solid in both modes. Not to mention its far from the first shell former we gotten. And frankly, I wish the animation model had the backpack, so it would at least look like it transforms.

Universe Silverbolt. Yeah, it has a simple transformation. So did the original. the result is a great update that's very true to the spirit of the original. I'm tempted to find a way to attach the upcoming Aerialbots to this guy.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like a lot of toys that I'll admit have apparent flaws. FOC Grimlock and Energon Grimlock come to mind. I love Cybertron Thunderblast and feel the shellformer aspect kinda works in her favor.

On the other side, while I don't actively dislike them, most Masterpiece and other 'collector grade' toys will probably never be my favorites (exceptions: some of Soundwave's tapes). I can appreciate how well designed they are, but they aren't fun to me. One I genuinely disliked was Hybrid Style Convoy. The best part of that toy was the trailer. The tiny robot was fiddly and fragile and oddly proportioned and needlesly complex with a terrible vehicle mode.

17. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like universe galvatron and dislike ultra class powerglide.

18. Tfan12

Tfan12 Well-Known Member

and i think the opposite foc jazz is a little piece of garbage thin design not matching the awesomeness of the cgi,the engineering was made for a rescue bot series, I like the head sculp but all his body feels just so cheap I got it for 4$ sealed at a flea market and I'm still not getting my money back

19. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like HA Sideswipe, Prime FE Vehicon, Prime RID ultra magnus, Generations deluxe Megatron (stealth bomber) and Generations Blitzwing.

I dislike Prime RID arcee, G1 trailbreaker/hoist, Generations waspinator, rinox and rat trap (I love beast wars...just never been impressed with a bw toy...just not my thing)

20. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    This has happened quite a few times....

Might get slaughtered for this one, but as the biggest head-scratcher - Classics Voyager Optimus. Had it since it was first released in 2006 and just can't see the mass appeal. It's solid enough, but the articulation (by modern standards) is clunky, the arm kibble is pointlessly big and his smokestack gun is pretty meh. It was alright 8 years ago, but I don't see how people still rave to the same extent about this guy now?

Also not overly keen on most 3P products, a Deluxe/Voyager sized figure nowadays usually comes in at around the cost of a Masterpiece car. If I get the urge to blow that amount on a TF, I'll take a genuine MP any day.

On the flip-side, another vote for liking BM Deluxe Primal, Energon Grimlock & Swoop, RTS Deluxe Optimus (plus the repaint), Gen Orion Pax & Gen Deluxe (stealth bomber) Megs.