Dinobot Sludge AFA BOOTLEG on ebay!

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by patobot, May 27, 2010.

1. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

I was browsing the afa Transformers auctions and stumbled across this Dinobot Sludge: Transformers G1 Sludge MISB AFA 80 - eBay (item 250637888974 end time May-30-10 05:40:17 PDT)

It turns out that the AFA # pictured is the same one as my AFA Sludge! Here's some pictures of mine including the AFA #: Flickr: patobot's stuff tagged with sludge

I am 100% sure that mine is legit and his is a bootleg as I know the history behind my item. His AFA case is broken so it's obvious that it has been tampered with. I'm pretty sure that I saw another bootleg Dinobot sold a few months ago by girltf (Chinese seller with tons of ebay accounts).

I have contacted ebay about 12 hours ago and I doubt they will do something about it. I'm unsure if the seller knows about this so I haven't contacted him yet but probably will.

Should I also contact AFA? It really pisses me off to see someone selling a bootleg of a unique item :( 

EDIT: I have contacted AFA and the seller. Awaiting responses.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    not surprised by this , i knew sooner or later people were gonna try to fake AFAed figures.

When less than honest folks see how an $100 MISB fig can become a $2000 figure buy some guys saying it is such and such a rating and slapping it in a clear plastic box with a sticker. they will be tempted to try to rip off folks by faking it.

Dishonest folks will try anything to make a buck.

3. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

Tfgirl is a known AFA bootlegger. Beware there is one in every country! I'd like to hear AFA's response.

4. patobot

I wasn't going to name anyone but since you named tfgirl I can say that I also suspect him of making this bootleg. I'm pretty sure I saw him selling another bootleg afa Dinobot a few months ago. He buys/sells Transformers under a bunch of different aliases. I don't know if it's always possible to spot the bootlegs but in this case it is. The tapes even look unsealed ;-)

5. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

The question is......who had access to the serial number of your toy? Who did you buy it from?

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    If anyone saw him post it they could have just copied it from the pics really...it's not like the bar code has to be an exact match, no one but AFA can scan it anyway right?

7. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Couldn't someone just login to toygrader's website and look up Sludge in the population report? The maker of this might have just randomly chosen a serial number that happens to be patobot's.

I can't say for sure on the figure, but the box for the Sludge in the auction is legit according to the guide, http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...8-g1-sludge-box-original-vs-reproduction.html

8. kissshock

kissshock Member

Reply to the comments made by Patobot

Hi

I am the seller on ebay that has for auction the AFA Sludge MISB AFA 80. I am wanting to find out what is going on, as I purchased this from a AFA collector whom he purchased from a UK AFA collector. I understand Patobot has pics of an AFA sludge but I would like to point out that the AFA sticker on his has the bar codes bleeding over into the black line and the toygrades.com text is not center but higher. If you look at mind, it is in the correct position in the middle and the bar code stops at the black line. I have confirmed with http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...8-g1-sludge-box-original-vs-reproduction.html mind is a original Sludge and not a reissue. Also the case was cracked due to transport from the UK to Australia. Also the numbers on my afa sticker are spaced so they do not sit on the black line. This can be confirmed with other afa graded items also being sold on ebay. I have had a number of AFA graded transformers and dinobots in the past and I do review them before purchasing in detail. I believe mine is an original but I am also contacting AFA to look into this as i would also like to get to the bottom of this. it may be an error from afa??????? I do not know.

9. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I must say this is quite interesting. The AFA sticker on the seller looks legit compared to patobot, but the tape on the sellers toy wouldnt get a red label sticker cause it looks dried up. I have had toys get rejected for less.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Interesting.

11. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    this! :popcorn 

patobot, is it just the way the light is hitting that (foil) AFA sticker or is it actually b&w

12. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Kissshock's Sludge came from girltf.

13. patobot

I bought mine from devastator2531977 about a year ago.

Hi there. I'm glad you joined the discussion. Sorry to have jumped to conclusion so fast but I was a bit shocked to see this ;P .. Your Sludge looks like a legit Transformer to me. From who did you buy it? How long ago? Is the tape unsealed? Item # 17647172 has been graded in 2005 and back then I don't think they graded MIB/MOSC items at all.

Yeah it's just how the light hit the foil. It's a bit tricky to take clear pictures so I gotta get rid of the reflection.

Whoever did this bootleg needed access to pictures of this item because the afa labels/stickers are placed at the right spot. You scared me when you mentioned bleeding on my AFA sticker but I just checked several of my Transformers afa stickers and a bunch of them are misaligned.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  14. patobot

I don't have this in my notes but if you do then I know it's true and it would totally fit the story. I'm glad other people are watching =)

15. Da_Last_2_Walk

I don't miss much! :D 

Been awhile since I've heard from ya.....

16. patobot

I know that! =P .. I should have written to you as soon as I spotted it. Switching to pm now =P

17. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Unless things have changed.......This isn't how the search feature works on AFA's website. If you search Sludge, it will give you how many examples have been graded and what final grades they received, maybe even variations on some toys, but the serial number is never displayed.

If the toy was graded in 2005, there is no telling how many times it has changed hands and had the serial number exposed by way of email, or auction.

There are several fake AFA items floating around right now. Contact AFA, they should compensate you. Having these in circulation benefits them the least.

18. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

I think you are in the clear Patobot. That seller is legit.

19. Da_Last_2_Walk

.....That is if Jun didn't sell T.L. a fake Sludge!

20. patobot

devastator sold all his collection about a year ago including the other Dinobots and lots of high end stuff and everything was legit .. other than a Chinese reissue Cyclonus ;-P

Does anyone know if AFA keep a copy of their AFA report for each item they grade? If they do then they could easily spot the real one by comparing the defects on the AFA report.