Heavy/Scratch: Digital 3D Headsculpts WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thebigdb, Nov 12, 2012.

1. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hey guys… I just thought that I would leave a quick post & update this thread each time I finished or updated a project. For the last few weeks I’ve been working on some meshes that I created. Everything right now is all 2D, but that’s because I’m having problems taking snapshots of my work in the cad program that I am using. It will let me take pictures while in wireframe, but not in mesh mode. If worse comes to worse, I’ll use the print key if it won’t let me copy an image. Just like what I do when I come across an image that is copyrighted, & the server won’t let me save it to file.

2. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The 1st set of images that I am presenting is a rendering of the MP Sludge head that I am starting again. I initially started making a copy about a month back after seeing Dawgstar making his version of Sludge, & I wanted to take a crack at it. But with the fact that my apartment got bought out by another developer, & I had to move out & move my stuff back in… & some of my data files were corrupted in the shuffle. So this is 2nd redo. I might put this project on hold till I finish making the 3d scanner that I have been putting together. That way I can take the G1 head, scan it, & use it as a base for what I am working on. The head sculpt for Sludge in the G1 cartoon I know is different from the toy, but I can take the scanned G1 mesh, & use it as a base to wrap the new design around. If memory serves me correctly, Sludge had a very decorative, round head on his face & sides… but the back of the head was flat. I have to make sure that I got that right before I make anything finial… but that’s the tentative idea that I am going to go with the look. Apart from that… I plan on making his head to rotate on a standard ball socket joint. So that way you have 360 movement, & can tilt it up & down, & side to side. I have a whole bunch of KO Alternators laying around, & I am looking at their body parts as reference. I also have been looking at the design specs of the unreleased Alternators Bumblebee/Cliffjumper mold. In the instructions, they have a joint where the head flips into the chest like the Fansproject Swindle & Blastoff in their transformation. This might be a redundancy… but my thinking is that I can put a little something in there for added transformability, & movement for dinosaur mode. So that’s 1 project.

Attached Files:

3. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The 2nd head that I have been working on has been Bumblebee. Either everyone’s favorite or disliked character (because of the fact that he has been done over so many times). I just wanted to make my own version because I have fond memories of the character. He was 1 of the 1st 3 Transformers that I ever got… & I have fond memories of him because of what my father went through to get me those 3 toys. It’s a constant reminder to me of how much my father loves me. Even with me being a full grown man, I’ve never forgotten what he did to get them. With VW’s stance on war toys, it’s very unlikely that we’ll ever see a G1 Bumblebee that we know & remember. There’s the classics Bumblebee… but that doesn’t cut it with me. Not that it’s a bad toy… but there’s something about him that doesn’t sit right with me. What I was thinking of doing is taking a junked Alt. Cliffjumper that I have laying around somewhere, & use him as a base. The G1 line would have to be my all time favorite series in the genre (because of nostalgia)… but the Alternators & Masterpiece series would be a close 2nd because to me they are the closest thing that we’ve had to the G1 line. So I was thinking of taking Cliffjumper’s remains & resculpt him with a 1:32 scale kit to make him into a G1 Beetle.

The problem that I have run into is finding a suitable head sculpt that I like. I think what’s going to happen in the end is that I will piece together bits & pieces of different heads/images that I like to make the kind of head sculpt that I want. I found a scanned image of Bumblebee from 1 of the IDW comics (I don’t know which 1), but I experimented on it just to see what it would look like. Still need to work on the mouth a little bit, but it was interesting to see the result. The image may have been of a newer version of Bee, but when I traced out the face in my cad program, the face sculpt reminded me of Skyfire/Jetfire without the space helmet. Though I never had any plans on making a Sky/Jetfire, I might keep the file anyway because the resemblance is uncanny. But I am still looking for a good shot of a G1 Bee head because the 1’s that I have come across I don’t like.

Attached Files:

4. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I’ve also started working on making a G1 Hubcap mold as well. Since I was doing Bumblebee, I figure that I would nail 2 birds with 1 stone. Since the G1 versions of both figures were slight retools of each other, I figured that I would go with the same approach. Right now he’s still a work in progress… but I am toying with the idea of having his faceplate do the same 2 face gimmick that the 1st MP seekers had. Since his G1 persona was kind of described as a gossip or an exaggerator, I thought that a stern & smug look would fit him well. At this point, all that I have is the crown, back of the head, & eyes of the sculpt… but have been having a problem getting the exact look that I want to get with the nose & lips. Drawing the look is 1 thing… but getting it to render out the way that you want is another. It can look good as 2d object… but doesn’t come off right in 3d. So I am trying to iron that out.

I am taking some liberties in the head sculpt. I don’t know what kind of head shape that he is meant to have. I don’t know if he’s meant to be a ‘blockhead’ & all square… or like Springer where he has an ornate front, but a round back. All that I have at the moment is an IDW image, & I am using it as a base to start with.

Attached Files:

5. thebigdb

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    And I don’t have any images to show anything yet… but I’ve been working on making a MP Defensor, & will be making head sculpts for each of the team when I get a further along with the build. Right now, all that I have is blocks in place of where their heads will be so that I have something in place during construction so I know where everything will be in any transformation mode. I’ve been trying to make each character change into their individual selves, retaining all their movement, & being able to hide all the gestalt parts in either vehicle or robot mode. I’ve been aiming to avoid any loose robot kibble in transformation.

With any of the heads that I am showing or talking about, I plan on being able to reproduce them so that other people can enjoy them as well. I am making them so that I get some enjoyment out of them, but to share that same personal satisfaction with other people. 3 years ago, I came down with cancer, & almost died from improper care. In the result, I received a lot of nerve damage, & have a lot of problems with my hands still. I still have problems tying my shoes, & wear sweatpants most of the time because I still have issues with buttons & zippers. I used to do a fair amount of sculpting by hand being into 3D computer animation… but I don’t have that dexterity anymore… & am now doing everything digitally. Kind of a new learning process. I will be updating this thread from time to time since I just started working on this. I don’t have this included in the list… but 1 of the 1st projects that I started on about a year ago was making a conversion kit to turn an Alternator Prime (a KO or a standard release) into a G1 ‘MP’ Trailbreaker. So far I have made a G1 accurate face sculpt & the trailer… but still haven’t been able to iron out how to attach it. I want it to be attached, & not something that you take off & put on with the transformation. I wasn’t planning to… but I might be doing Hoist as well just because of the fact that I might look into how I might attach his wrecking gear to the car frame to solve the problem with Trailbreaker. It’s just been a thinking process because how the cab folds on itself in transformation. I’ve yet printed it out… but I have resculpted hands & shins that I plan on replacing the default mold with. Any feedback & suggestions are welcomed with these projects. Just let me know! You might point out something that I am missing! Thank you for looking, & I will keep you posted on this stuff!