Did you like bay-action?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood, Sep 21, 2020.

1. RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood

RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood Ironman? Sounds like a domestic product to me.

For me Bumblebee was so much more boring regarding action. In a franchise about giant robots who can reconfigure themselves and fight in a huge war, the action for me was meh. Though Bayverse had tons of inappropriate humor, think about real teenagers in life and what they’d think about... I really, really wanted a huge battle or at least something not only bumblebee, dropkick, and shatter. I actually liked the bay films, and please, no G1 only guys harassing us. Let us enjoy our movies in peace.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I do like Bay action, and I also liked Bumblebee. I do hope that they can put more Bay action in future installments.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Noble1skull

Noble1skull currently living

Yeah it's fun, but I feel "bay-action" should really only be applied to certain characters. Someone like bumblebee would probably not go around tearing out spines and shoving their hand cannons through people's abdomens, but someone like a wrecker would probably do that. People have different styles of fighting, and only a select few would fit such a brutal and messy style.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hit-or-miss for me. Some of the fights I enjoy and other fights I get why people say they can't tell what's going on unless I go and rewatch them a few times. I think the big thing that has Bumblebee's fights win out for me though is, because the camera stays on the shot a bit longer and the combatants are all different colors, not just the Autobots fighting a bunch of grey robots that's hard to tell who's who from a distance. And like Noble1skull said, some characters would benefit more from Bay-action than others.

Although the forest battle from ROTF is still one of my favorite fights from the movies.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    I think for the most part Bay's style for fight scenes really only worked in the context of his movies. The way they're shot works really well in the light he was aiming for, that "The Transformers" is really more of a space monster movie and should be from a human's perspective. There's a great sense of smallness and terror in how the fight scenes are done, particularly in the first movie. Of course that shine wears off rather quickly because most of us want the focus to be on the Transformers, and from their point of view the action is just a fistfight or gunfight.

He did prove he could make a decent fight from the Transformer POV, as others here are already bringing up the forest fight. I think people would be less critical of his action if the scenes were more often shot like that and less from a human perspective. The actual content of the scenes is the same either way.

So I liked it in the sense that I don't have an aversion to the decapitations and the like, I just think there needed to be a different eye for how those scenes were handled.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a general rule I'd say no, but I do like aspects of it. I like how big and expensive his action looks. I like that he actually films real explosions in real locations...his action setpieces aren't just actors on a greenscreen in a fake video-gamey environment (like some of the Marvel action is). It clearly takes vision and skill to block the digital characters and integrate them with the real environments…I'll admit he's good at what he does.

But I personally find it too chaotic and confusing. Too much shaky cam and too many shots that are either obscured or too close up. I also don't particular find his action clever. Bay rarely uses the Transformers' transformation ability in combat (which is something Bumblebee nailed on a much lower budget), and I don't find the stunts or attacks or choreography particularly satisfying. Most of his action is just robots violently smashing each other with fists or melee weapons. It's very...primal. Which isn't to say it's bad. Again, he knows what he wants to make and he does it well. It's just not my style, and I don't find it particular fun to watch. I actually find it a bit frustrating, because transforming space robots has so much potential for action scenes. Occasionally I'll get a craving to revisit some of the Marvel battles (even though they can be a bit phony) or even the stupid cartoony battles in something like Pacific Rim: Uprising. But I almost never get a craving to revisit the Bay Transformers action scenes. And when I do revisit them, it usually just reaffirms that Bay's style of action isn't my cup of tea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    no-sir-i-didnt-like-it.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 333 days till he can watch RoTB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Meh it was alright

10. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Not that much...too many humans.

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Great post. I love Bay action.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

Newp.

13. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Lowering the Bar

TF1 did a decent job in doing the fight scenes from the human perspectives. Alot of them are short, and there's shaky camera work, but it kinda sets the "alien invasion" tone of the movie. It wasn't a movie entirely about the Transformers, more like the humans, as in yourself and the adjacent people in the movie's perspective of them invading our world. Although keeping this same formula was definitely problematic for later movies. Had they kept this formula just for TF1, I wouldn't have minded.

TLK funny enough personally has some nice fight scenes to them. Bee vs Prime in particular is a short fight once again, but the choreography flows nice and I can tell what's going on. This is kinda where the BB movie expands off of in terms of choreography in fights. Had Bay used that formula for the other films, I think it would've benefitted him better. Although some honorable mentions of mine would be Optimus vs Sentinel, and the ROTF forest fight.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

No. It's too messy and it's usually either one bot kicking the others ass completely or seeing bots shoot at offscreen enemies.
    Let's not forget explosions.

15. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes.

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I enjoy Bayhem action, but I admit I wish it was a little less chaotic.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

The action was one of the few good things in the movies but could have been better if we could actually follow what was going on. I feel like Bumblebee had that because there was fewer bots and more distinct color schemes.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There will only be one.

BB isn't a war film, so where would you fit the big battle you're imagining into that story?

BB's hand-to-hand robot fights have more clarity than Bay's, but you clearly prefer the overstimulation of Bay's directing. Most of the special effects shots in his films are good, but anything counting on his camera work is awful.

And I think that disqualifying people's opinions because they're G1 fans is pretty unreasonable. You didn't ask whether G1 or Bayverse was better; you asked about the action, which anyone can talk about.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  19. JD The Last Autobot

JD The Last Autobot More Than Meet The Eyes

Bayverse action is one of the few things that makes me watch those movies

• Like Like x 1
  20. RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood

RevengeOfTheFallenIsGood Ironman? Sounds like a domestic product to me.

Sorry, let me clarify. I at the very least wanted the battle to become a little more complex, because that’s what I like. Also I just meant that because the TF fandom can be so unreasonable, on both sides, I didn’t want this topic to turn hateful and insult filled.

• Like Like x 1