Did you buy into TF5 hype?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Jun 30, 2017.

?

Did you buy into TF5 hype?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Never

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. I just care for the cgi

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. It's just an action movie, nothing should be expected

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. pjeung

pjeung Active Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I did. Watched all the trailers and tv spots and was super hyped. Watched the movie, wasn't underwhelmed, wasn't overly satisfied, was okay lol.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

Everything right here I agree with. Mostly the part about the movie being a major step backwards from AOE.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I'm right there with you man.
    The visuals and cinematography were so epic, it was a shame we were teased again. That red knight speaking to Merlin was so well done. But moments like that don't last very long.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Megatronus165

Megatronus165 Banned

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I did at first when the second trailer was released, but that wore off once the myriad of TV spots started pouring in. Something just didn't feel right for some reason, and that just made my expectations tank for TLK.

5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope.

I after 4 movies it's obvious the robots are just background characters and set dressing.

It's time for a true reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Maybe it's just me but it felt like the fans were doing a better job of hyping the film than Paramount was. Can't really say that there was anything in any of the trailers or TV spots that had me thinking I should give the movie a chance in theaters rather than waiting for a bad weather day when nothing else new was on streaming.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so have you actually seen it then?

8. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only 'bought' into it because I wanna get what I deserved: A Michael Bay Transformers film with King Arthur, Anthony Hopkins and a dragon. And it was AWESOME! I paid to see it in IMAX 3D the first time, the other four times (now) I saw for free in 2D(I'm a member of my local Cineworld's Unlimited club, you see).

Shame the current box office results don't reflect my very positive view of the film. The mainstream media are bastards. Enough said.

9. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just sat on the fence and watched. At most, I knew I'd see the film, though I wasn't holding out much hope that they'd tie everything together (I was already pretty sure they wouldn't explain the 'Galvatron into Megatron' questions I had following word of Megs in this film).

I did figure from the giant 'horns' that Unicron was somehow going to be involved, ala 'Transformers Prime.' Rather interesting how the recent films have tied into the most recent 'Transformers' animated series, 'Animated' and 'Prime.'

10. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, I actually loved it. but here's all that's required for me to love a transfomers film.. The autobots(hopefully decepticons) have more than 2 lines for at least 60% of the transformers. This did, even daytrader spoke plenty, when this happens I can live with all the non transfomers action scenes. this was my problem with ROTF and AOE. I felt like the autobots are more than background characters in those films. In AOE and TLK it's far less severe

NOW
    did I buy into it? yes, this movie is NOWHERE near what they were selling us. I loved it but expected it to be in my top 10 films ever based off of what was being sold to us...I don't think this even makes top 50 for me.

11. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I tell ya, editing must have destroyed it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

I agree. Even if AOE is not one's favorite of the films, and I can understand why fans of the first three films might not like it or if it's not one's cup of tea, it did plenty of things right in my opinion, including some things none of the other films did.

-It acknowledged what came before it even if it took the films in a different direction. It has plenty of references to DOTM, and the characters and story make sense in the context of a post-DOTM universe. TLK seems to half-ass the connections.
    -The subplots are connected narratively and thematically. See my old thread: Themes in the Transformers Films
    -Like the 2007 film, it has a small core cast of robot characters compared to the other sequels. This gives individual robots more focus. Every robot has its purpose.
    -It balances the subplots and characters well, including the balance between robots and humans.
    -Once a character appears they don't disappear for a long stretch of the movie, unless they die or have a specific reason to do so (ie. Brains wanting to enjoy his freedom). Lockdown appears throughout the film. Galvatron appears or is regularly referenced after his first appearance. Etc. Compare that to TLK where characters either disappear for the rest of the film (The Dinobots and Wheelie) or a huge chunk in the middle (most every Transformer not named Cogman, Bumblebee, and Hot Rod; Izzy).
    -It's the only film where the mcguffin isn't something that's only been on Earth or the Moon for decades or centuries. It isn't even on Earth at all at first. The Seed is simply an individual weapon Lockdown gives the humans in exchange for Prime. Furthermore, while there is Seed-produced Transformium found in end-Cretaceous layers, Earth was not the only planet this happened to. Thousands of worlds were cyberformed in such a way. Which gets me to my next point...
    -AOE really felt like it took place in a larger universe with Lockdown and the aliens on his ship as well as points Lockdown and others say in the film. "Every galaxy I've traveled, all you species are the same. You all think you're the center of the universe. You have no idea." TLK makes it like Earth and Cybertron are the only places of importance in the universe again.
    -Speaking of Lockdown, it's the only film where the main villain is not out to destroy Earth or humanity or enslave us. That was refreshing.
    -The things TLK tries to do that are somewhat similar to AOE are better executed in AOE IMHO. Cemetery Wind is better executed than TRF, and the Autobots and humans exploring Lockdown's ship is more fun than the ship in the ocean in TLK. It had a more alien feel to it, and the alien creatures on Lockdown's ship are more believable opponents for the humans than giant Cybertronian Knights. Although I don't dislike the latter either, and the marine life around the ship is neat.

Granted this is my opinion based on personal preferences for a Transformers story, but there are plenty of reasons AOE is my favorite of the films.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  13. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    You sir, made some really valid points. Good for you. I can't think of one where I disagree.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will add that in my opinion, Viviane (despite ultimately becoming Cade's love interest), Quintessa and Izabella are better written female characters than Carly and Tessa. No sexualisation of them at all. Why people would think that's carried on from previous instalments is beyond me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This also holds some truth. When Barricade and Onslaught were revealed, it was hyped and shared all over social media like something big.
    It's largely due to the love for the characters we so little get to see.
    Paramount promoted the heck out of TF5 than any other TF movie as far as I can remember. And that seemed to imply the movie was going to be their best yet.

16. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

I rooted for tlk to be a bullseye.... enjoyed it but it still came up short on the hype

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I didn't. Which is why I hate this movie even more. I had no expectations. I didn't like AOE all that much, but I still enjoyed parts of it for what it was. It felt still like a transformers movie. And I thought, hell, if it was even around AOE quality I'd atleast enjoy it.

...But it wasn't, it somehow managed to ACTUALLY be worse. There wasn't even a memorable action scene In the ENTIRE movie. Things just happen. The story was terribly executed. The pacing was ass. Simply put, it didn't even feel like a movie. IT DIDNT EVEN FEEL LIKE ANY OF THE PREVIOUS 4. That's the worst part. I almost feel like TLK is it's own thing in a Separate universe at this point. All of the movie just felt, off. All I can say is. Wow. Michael Bay needs to go. Now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

Thank you! Much appreciated!

And even if someone doesn't like AOE can you really blame the production for taking the direction they decided on? The named Decepticons were killed, Sentinel was dead, and an event in which the leader of the Autobots and the Decepticons killed scores of people would undoubtedly have consequences for Earthbound Transformers. Shia was not interested in returning. What should the movie have been about instead? Unicron? That would have probably ended up a lot like TLK. NEST and the Autobots hunting random Decepticons? That would have been too much like some of the previous films. It needed to go in some new direction.

And I am not saying there weren't other directions Transformers 4 could have taken that also would have been interesting, but you can't blame it for its creative choices given what DOTM left it with, and I enjoy DOTM, nor can you blame AOE for TLK not really following or even acknowledging many of TF 4's threads.

19. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Need to see for a second time.

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope, I'd rather wait for dvd