Did the greatness that is TF:A ruin the new movie for you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Transbot90210, Jun 5, 2009.

1. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personaly I take them for what they are on their own merits. Each have their own pros and cons. I don't dislike the the movie because of Animated (which I loved to watch), nor do I dislike Animated for the same reason. Each has something to offer to me and to compare the two would be like comparing apples to oranges. Each has good and bad aspects to it and neither is bad as a whole.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Everyone is welcome to answer in this thread both yes and no.

I am not harpin gon the movie or calling it crap, I haven't seen it yet.

What will happen when I see it? I will want the figures and end up buying them.

My point was for the first time ever I did not pick up a figure I needed right when I saw it. The excitement I felt for Animated and the sudden end to it just put me off to the next series of figures.

Yes I loved Animated and the last time I loved a TF series was during the Beast Era (Bw and BM) Goes to show what a good story and in depth characters could do. I only wish Bay would realise this.

All in all Giant Robots fighting on screen are...:bay 

Thanx
    Transbot90210

3. lieutenantjazz

lieutenantjazz Well-Known Member

I think that the Animated has been one of the best rides I've taken. Now, I am not saying that ROTF isn't going to be cool. BUT, we ALL have to admit sometime that Animated was very unique and it was a very good STORY, REGARDLESS OF WHAT PEOPLE THINK! Lets all come together and remember the GREAT TIMES OF ANIMATED and SOON ROTF! :rock 

4. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Nah. I'm going to the movies expecting some great action and fights. While TF:A had some good story moments, the heroes almost never won by being badass or smarter or more skilled in battle. They won because they had the more powerful gadgets. While the story and characters certainly aren't as strong in the movie, the fights are a lot more interesting and don't follow the same deus ex formula over and over again.

5. TerexO&K

TerexO&K Front Shovel

I don't think so. It made me more eager if anything.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

nah, if anything it's ending just made me MORE excited for the bay verse, because it made me want more transformers.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Did Transformers Animated's greatness ruin ROTF for me? No.

I love both Animated and the Movie-verse. I was a bit disappointed when they canceled Animated and were going to focus more on the Movies, yes... but like I said, I love both Animated and the Movies.

So... no... the greatness of Animated did not ruin ROTF for me.

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i like them both for different reasons. admittedly i will be getting alot less movie toys while i nearly have all of animated. then again, i will be buying the dvd of the movie. if anything the bar for the next tv series has been put fairly high now. can it make me buy a boat load of toys or not is the next question.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

Not at all, Animated and the Movies are two completely different animals under the same brand. My feelings for one has absolutely no reflection on the other. I judge them independently.

10. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

No, Devastator's testicles ruined ROTF for me.

Just kidding. Not really. But seriously....

11. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Well-Known Member

I have to say yes, to a certain extent.

I've never really been too fond of the movie-verse. It's produced some neat toys but the characterization (or lack thereof) leaves much to be desired. I gave absolutely no shit about Jazz's death in the first film and I probably won't give a damn about any of the characters that buy it in RotF. The humor was tasteless, the villains were laughable (in a bad way), and no less than three sets of human "sidekicks" soaked up valuable screen time.

Animated, for all of my initial reservations, actually had characters that I cared about and wanted to see more of. Blurr's death(?), even though he had all of a few minutes of actual character time, made me cringe and made me love to hate Shockwave/Longarm Prime. Unlike most human sidekicks, Sari proved to be a valuable member of the team and actually grew as a person (literally and figuratively) through her experiences. Megatron manipulates all the other characters into waking him up and then sets in motion a galaxy-spanning master plan to conquer Cybertron. And who can forget Animated Ratchet, a balance of carbuncles and compassion up there with Dr. McCoy and House?

I can't say the same for the movie-verse rendition of the characters. They just can't compare and the things I remember about them are annoying or disappointing. Some examples:

Animated Ratchet heroically (and hilariously) overcomes his grouchiness to disarm Wreckgar. All Ratchet did in the first film was sniff Shia and tell us that he had the hots for Megan Fox.

Animated Bumblebee, with assistance from Bulkhead and Prowl, successfully launched a bomb into space before it could explode, and then burned a path all the way down through the atmosphere. Movie Bumblebee makes silly noises and peed on John Turturo.

Blitzwing politely asks Lugnut to tell him before he's going to use The Punch of Kill Everything, while the movie Deceptions are a bunch of mindless and interchangeable drones who don't even really speak.

When I compare what I've seen of the movie-verse with Animated, I simply can't get excited about RotF, no matter how much more "epic" it is supposed to be than the first film. And I can't forget that Animated was canceled to make way for it. For me, RotF will be a DVD rental to mark time, at best, while I eagerly await boxed sets of Animated.

12. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:

Well said.

I think you expressed myself better than I did. lol

This is just it. The characters in Animated are so rich that you actually build a bond to one or more of them. You can say that Animated had more time to build characters to love but I rebuttle with Blurr. All it took was one giant race across the cosmos for him to win his fan base.

The movie is so two dimensional which is ironic for a live action 3D concept of our favorite bots. The movie just fails to bring any life to these bots. TF's are supposed to be individuals with as much character as you and I. The differences between bots should go much deeper than just thier physical appearance. For the first time ever, because of Animated, I viewed these bots as humans. This series showed that these bots just don't fight but have many side interests, hobbies and spirituality.

But I digress, all in all, Animated was so great that unless the next series shows promise my collecting days may just be over. Better to leave on a high note lol.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

13. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Agreed.

So my answer. No the greatness that is TF:A did not ruin the new movie for me. Since I knew the movie would be a suckfest before I even saw Animated. Reason, I can never forgive Bay for mutilating my favorite characters, and then give them no character. Where as Animated was all pure Transformers love. Killing the show was a travesty.

Nuff said.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Is it really fair to compare three seasons worth of story telling and characterization with a 2 and a half hour film though? You say all it took for Blurr to win fans was a single race, but he had more screentime alone then the entire movie cast of bots. And on top of that, people were fans of his simply because he was such a massive G1 homage, so it's really not any kind of fair rebuttal.

For me, personally, the greatness of TFA has not affect on the greatness that will be RotF. But they will be great for different reasons. Where I was watching TFA and thought Prime was cool, in the movie, Prime was awe-inspiring. Watching him move, and fight, even if he did get pummeled by Megatron, it was incredible to watch. Just watching the trailers for RotF, you can see BB is cute, he's funny, he's got a sense of humor, but when push comes to shove, he's there and he's kicking ass. Where TFA BB...he was annoying. But the sheer length of one series allowed for more time to flesh out even the most minor of characters while the other has to deal with more bots in less time.

And when push comes to shove, nothing in TFA, not a single scene, evoked the same emotion as when the Autobots first arrived in the movie. The scene of them coming to earth, getting their alt modes and gathering together for the first time was simply epic. Not even Omega Supreme's awakening could touch that scene for me.

So while they're both great Transformers Mythos, they're great for different reasons. Personally, I prefer the movie style, aesthetic and realism, where it is a war, it is an age old battle spilling over into our world, our city, our homes. And we, as human beings don't just sit there and watch, but we do our best to do the right thing and fight with the Autobots. Sari was a walking Mcguffin, from beginning to end. If they needed a miracle to win, they just went to her. But they don't have that in the movie-verse, and it adds a layer of tension, of realism, because there is no magic key that will save the day. The bad guys could be anywhere and they are everywhere and the only way to take them out is to fight with everything they can. And that feelling isn't something you'll get from TFA.

Edit:

And on the toy side of things, I only have 8 Animated figures, out of the entire run. With maybe one or two more I'd be willing to get. So far with Rotf, I have 6, and that's only after one trip to the store where I limited myself to only spend a certain amount. By the time the next toyline rolls around, I'll be sure to have at least 20 or so figures. Simply because I prefer the movie line aesthetic and realism over Animated's obviously cartoon designs and proportions. That's not to say one toyline is better then the other, as they're both great, I'm just saying that they both have their merits.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Because we've come to expect that when a name is re-used we'll get characterization to go along with it that makes us care in some way, just like how we came to care about the old character. Transformers fans particularly seem to want that connection in any way, shape or form. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the new character becomes universally hated...and sometimes we get something very radically cool that we didn't expect - like Animated Prowl.

--Moony

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

But that doesn't answer why the movie gets singled out for "arbitrary name reuses" over every single other continuity in the TF mythos. Which happens a lot. G1 Prowl and Animated Prowl are nothing alike, yet no one has ever complained that Animated Prowl wasn't the same as G1 Prowl. Yet with movie Sideswipe, who's personality is damn near identical to the G1 version, get's ripped on for being "arbitrarily named".

Movie Bumblebee is loaded with character, even without saying a word you can tell he's a playful, youthful bot but when push comes to shove he'll bring the fight. Yet people complain that he shouldn't have been called Bumblebee because he's too badass. But how come no one says that about Ani Bumblebee, as he's nothing like the brave little buddy from G1 either.

I'm not saying you've done this, but it's a fairly common issue with people that seems to solely be an issue when it's done in the movie-verse.

17. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Oh, I know you weren't saying I said such a thing, because I haven't. I don't really have much direct opinion on the movie 'bots other than I really don't like how they look. But from what I've read of what other people have said about the small amount of characterization done with the majority of movie characters, my observation does apply to them, with Prime and Bumblebee being the exceptions.

Although it also almost seems that people either love or hate movie Bumblebee...which is like every other canon Bumblebee! :lol 

--Moony

18. Getter Rekka

Getter Rekka Well-Known Member

Honestly Animated had a lot of the same flaws as G1, but it was still pretty good, and a better take on the franchise than the movie.

I agree with the people who said that the Animated toys were too simple though. The movie ones are a bit cooler looking, but I found myself getting bored of them like I did with animated, they were detailed but most of the designs were a little indistinct partly because they were so busy, they didn't have a "design" as such, though the toys were better than the movie models for this in most cases. I think you need to strike a balance. I think Voyager Inferno is that balance.

19. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It doesn't "ruin" the movie for me directly but I do prefer Animated in pretty much every way

20. MoonRacer Prime

MoonRacer Prime Fembot fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course your initialed to your opinion. But you have to admit Arcee from TFA is much closer to the original GI character then the motor mer-monster that will appear in ROTF. I would rather spend a million bucks on a show that tries rather than destroys an established character. And about Prowl They had to change his color and alt mode to better balance the cast. Bulkhead was added for the same reason.